Interest in a Los Angeles Area DIY Audio Club? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Clubs & Events

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2009, 07:38 PM   #1
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Interest in a Los Angeles Area DIY Audio Club?

I've moved back to LA now (for the next little while) and was wondering if anyone would like to get together. I do a lot of DIY stuff, mostly speakers, and thought it would be interesting to get together with other diyers (or non-diyers). Get a system setup and swap a couple of CD players, or speakers, or whatever. I, for one, am very interested in hearing how different equipment sounds. I also have a decent acoustic/electrical measurement setup if we want to delve a little more deeply.

I can probably host at my house, which is just south of LAX. No plans or date yet, I just wanted to see if other people were interested. If you are, email me, and I'll put together a list of contacts, and then notify people as things come together. I'd like to make it a semi-regular thing.

I may post updates here too.

Maybe do a speaker comparison? I've got one I'm itching to show off
Old 14th December 2009, 12:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

So I'm thinking of trying to arrange a get together sometime around the end of January, start of Feb. Any one want to bring a set of horns?

Still not much show of interest - I thought there were more DIY people around LA?
Old 14th December 2009, 01:12 AM   #3
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I'm interested

PM me when the details get closer so I don't miss out. No promises, I'm a busy guy. Been wanting to host a meet at my place too, for a while, I'm in Tustin (OC).
Old 14th December 2009, 02:41 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm interested. I live in the S.F. bay area, but I am in Fullerton one weekend per month. So I will be hit or miss (more misses) but I would like to be on the list.

(email address sent by PM)

Eric Edwards

Last edited by benchtester; 14th December 2009 at 02:44 AM.
Old 15th December 2009, 03:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Nice, getting some response. I'm particular to speakers, so if any LA speaker builders need access to measurement equipment, let me know.
Old 22nd January 2010, 09:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Interest in a Los Angeles Area DIY Audio Club?

Really glad to hear someone bring this up! I do "alot" of Audio DIY and during the early, mid 70's worked selling all kinds of audio after college. While working for Fred Locke Stereo in Hartford, Conn. We often would meet once a month at a store and close, to sit and audition gear and then talk about it. In the process developing an ear for those suttle attributes that seperate the better, from the just so, so. It was a lot of fun and now that I'm doing much more evaluating of discret components and modifications to things like Kef 105 crossovers, ARC SP6B pre-amps, Quad 405 & 303 power amps as well as things like vintage Kenwood tuners and even CDP output sections. It would certainly be wonderful to get with a group of people interested in the great field of Audiophilia.
Old 26th January 2010, 05:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi gaincell - thanks for writing! I'm glad you're interested. I tried to reply to your email, but it was bounced back to me. Can you try writing me again?

Anyone else in SoCal interested in getting together? Let me know!
Old 26th January 2010, 05:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm interested as well. I'm in Costa Mesa. Let me know when and where.

Paul
Old 27th January 2010, 04:35 PM   #9
taloyd is offline taloyd  United States
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Interested!

I'm definitely down. Not sure what I can bring at the moment... all my projects exist mainly in my head, and my closet... but I'd be more than happy to come.

-Tal
Old 24th February 2010, 02:00 PM   #10
schro20 is offline schro20  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Also interested (but currently out of town)

I live in Altadena, though right now I am in Munich on sabbatical. It's been lonely up in Altadena building loudspeakers and having nobody to compare with.

Even as I am not around right now to join in the fun I would like to stay up to date.

Peter

Hide this!Advertise here!