Interest in a Los Angeles Area DIY Audio Club?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've moved back to LA now (for the next little while) and was wondering if anyone would like to get together. I do a lot of DIY stuff, mostly speakers, and thought it would be interesting to get together with other diyers (or non-diyers). Get a system setup and swap a couple of CD players, or speakers, or whatever. I, for one, am very interested in hearing how different equipment sounds. I also have a decent acoustic/electrical measurement setup if we want to delve a little more deeply.

I can probably host at my house, which is just south of LAX. No plans or date yet, I just wanted to see if other people were interested. If you are, email me, and I'll put together a list of contacts, and then notify people as things come together. I'd like to make it a semi-regular thing.

I may post updates here too.

Maybe do a speaker comparison? I've got one I'm itching to show off :D

Really glad to hear someone bring this up! I do "alot" of Audio DIY and during the early, mid 70's worked selling all kinds of audio after college. While working for Fred Locke Stereo in Hartford, Conn. We often would meet once a month at a store and close, to sit and audition gear and then talk about it. In the process developing an ear for those suttle attributes that seperate the better, from the just so, so. It was a lot of fun and now that I'm doing much more evaluating of discret components and modifications to things like Kef 105 crossovers, ARC SP6B pre-amps, Quad 405 & 303 power amps as well as things like vintage Kenwood tuners and even CDP output sections. It would certainly be wonderful to get with a group of people interested in the great field of Audiophilia.

Hello again, everyone! Well, I know that most of us are probably somewhat troubled over this economy. Lord knows it's touched me. But, I would think that some of you out there that really enjoy Audiophilia, just might like to have a diversion from things to sit down somewhere with a few good folks and just talk about what things your into in the wonderful relm of DIY Audio! Maybe we could begin by setting some future date, time and place. Any intermediate or, advanced experimenters out there interested??

LA, Area DIY Audio Club?

Thank you, taloyd! This is a good start. Now, we just need to pull a few more folks together and maybe we can begin emailing one another and start right here in this forum. It would be great to begin by getting to know alittle more about who is into what and generally just get to know alittle about everyone who may be interested in forming a Cool Audio Club!

Hmmm, I thought this thread was dead! I'm glad to see there is growing interest. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be in LA for a few months...

But I'd really love to see an LA DIY get together! I have a couple of other people's emails, and myself, to add to the list.

LA Area DIY Audio Club?

Great, cuibono! You'll probably have enought time to return here to LA. Seems alittle slow in getting folks to the dance. But, these are difficult times. So, lets continue to monitor interest here and when critical mass is reached, lets launch a place and date.

You guys keep saying LA but it's a big place. I'm in the SFV and would want to have any meetings not too far for me.

I have lots of gear as well as lots of test equipment and operated a stereo repair shop for about thirteen years. Plus, I'm a ham radio operator and jazz musician.

Keep me posted on any plans, please.

LA Area DIY Audio Club?

Hello, Bob! Repair guy AND Jazz Musician, well, it would be nice to have you on board! Big jazz fan myself! As well as the Classics and vintage rock. Will be necessary for some to have a good set of ears. Important to always know were going in the right direction with this diy stuff. Or, one runs the risk of "worsening~" the sound of there unit! "LA Area", I would think could cover the SFV, LA, Glendale-foothill area and maybe somewhat south of LA. Start at one place to get aquainted then maybe move around and see what fits, I suppose. However, we could even start right "in-here"! And by the way, Test gear is always good to have access to! I've got a dual-trace, fluke 115 and a weller wd1. "Lots of parts" and craftsman's knowhow with woods, metal and photography. Most of my projects, even as far back as the middle 70's, I've images of, on cd. Would be happy to bring along as well as any gear. "This is feeling fun"..

We might end up with more than one group, given the price of gasoline. I am seldom willing to venture out of the SFV unless I am very sure it will be worth it. That could change if gasoline gets cheaper but it's got a way to go, from around $3 a gallon.

Lots of test gear and tools here, actually more than I need. Two working 'scopes, two counters, several audio oscillators, speaker loads, rf loads, variacs, soldering stations, and tons more. If something doesn't work as planned, I always have Plan B (and maybe C and D). I just lost my antique Triplett ac power meter so I mounted an ammeter on one variac. I'd love to get that meter working again but I'm afraid the meter bearing is shot, and I don't have the ability to repair it. My dad could have (he was a watchmaker) but he is long gone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.