Anybody headed to RMAF? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Clubs & Events

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2009, 03:15 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Did you see Jason at the show? I did. He will be at Burning
Amp as well, I presume.
Old 6th October 2009, 03:27 AM   #32
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_c View Post
$100/meter? That's budget stuff! Have a look at the prices here, keeping in mind that the pound is about 1.6 U.S. dollars.

What amazes me about this is Stereophile's coverage of it. They used to be completely uncritical of the industry, but now they have become outright toadies.

Another amusing touch - here's a quote from Jason Victor Serinus' web site about the stuff he does:

"There will of course be a free 7 day Burn in. For more info..."

Bargain! LOL!
That is beyond retarded.

Last edited by GK; 6th October 2009 at 03:31 AM.
Old 6th October 2009, 03:39 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

We determined that the burn-in time should be more than 300 hrs, so 1 wk may not be enough. Yes, we discussed it amongst each other. Another problem is new cables that have not been broken in at these shows. I discussed burn-in with the guys to the right of me, at the bar. Bob Cordell and Andy C were at my left, and they may have missed out. However, cryoing can reduce burn-in time in many components.
Old 6th October 2009, 03:44 AM   #34
andy_c is offline andy_c  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Did you see Jason at the show? I did. He will be at Burning
Amp as well, I presume.
I didn't, but I probably wouldn't have recognized him if I had. Back before I let my Stereophile subscription run out (thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster!), I read his article on last year's Burning Amp. He was quoting the blurb that was modified slightly from the spiel for the Burning Man Festival, without actually realizing that the Burning Amp takeoff on this was satire. Whoosh!

I don't think he's the right guy to cover that event, because he lacks a technical background. But I guess he lives closer than the other Stereophile reporters, so it makes sense from that viewpoint.
Old 6th October 2009, 04:06 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

So far as I know, my associates will be supplying most of the 'engineering' at the Burning Amp. Wait and see.
Old 6th October 2009, 04:32 AM   #36
andy_c is offline andy_c  United States
Banned

Quote:
So far as I know, my associates will be supplying most of the 'engineering' at the Burning Amp. Wait and see.
Isn't Nelson going too?

At any rate, it will be fun to read about if Stereophile puts it on their web site. And I'm sure there will be lots of info here, certainly more than what Stereophile will present.

Last edited by andy_c; 6th October 2009 at 04:45 AM.
Old 6th October 2009, 05:35 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Of course, but we outnumber him, alone. Anyone else?
Old 6th October 2009, 09:42 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You didn't miss much, Jan. You have be a 'believer' like me, to get much out of the show. Just like Bob Cordell just parsed his words about the Nordost seminar, you probably would too. I missed the seminar, but I believe what they say, even about the 'quantum box' because I trust my ears, and heard it demoed at CES. Even I would not touch it with a 10 ft pole, however.
I must say that it was refreshing to be with people who heard differences without qualification. We experimented with cables, set-up, break-in (or lack of it) stability platforms, exotic playback of CD, etc. with gusto!
I even heard the difference between two connectors, a WBT and a Chinese 'knockoff' along with some reviewers. I is shocking what can make a difference if you just listen and not think that everybody is a 'crook' who shows it to you.
When I was there there were some excellent workshops from people like John Siau (sp?) from Benchmark en 'JJ' Johnson from Reference Recordings, so if the format this year was similar it would have been my worth. I like to think of RMAF as Snake Oil Merchants sponsoring a really interesting audio engineering event. There's some justice in it. After all, audio IS engineering...

jd
Old 6th October 2009, 10:25 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

I think of audio as ART, with a little engineering thrown in. Yes, Jan, you probably would have found interesting seminars to attend. I met fellow audio designers that I have worked with over the past 30 years. Even some old 'enemies' where we buried the hatchet between each other, as our differences were based on incidents long ago. I got new ideas about capacitors, and was able to follow up, just today, on some of these new ideas with real cap designers.
Bob Cordell got to see that I was actually associated with a new amp, and he got to see what Jack Bybee was doing with wires. We all got to try the new exotic memory players, that attempt to fix virtually everything that we have found wrong with CD playback, and more! They sound pretty good, too. In one of the Ayre rooms, I saw the most outstanding projection video that I have ever seen in my life.
I found myself comparing notes with designers from all over the world. Most believe in differences in components to a great degree. I have little or no trouble with other audio designers at all, as we share the same design experience. Some were a little over the top, but their sound was often pretty good anyway. My only disappointment was not talking privately with Charles Hansen of Ayre. I saw him at a seminar, but he was not publicly available, to the best of my knowledge. I normally learn more from him than anyone else. I also bought an audio book called:'Get Better Sound' by Jim Smith, an audio consultant. Easy reading and open minded too, without selling anyone anything in particular. He and I essentially share the same audio philosophy, which is based on experience. I recommend it.
Old 6th October 2009, 10:50 AM   #40
Banned

Quote:
I think of audio as ART, with a little engineering thrown in. Yes, Jan, you probably would have found interesting seminars to attend. I met fellow audio designers that I have worked with over the past 30 years. Even some old 'enemies' where we buried the hatchet between each other, as our differences were based on incidents long ago. I got new ideas about capacitors, and was able to follow up, just today, on some of these new ideas with real cap designers.
Bob Cordell got to see that I was actually associated with a new amp, and he got to see what Jack Bybee was doing with wires. We all got to try the new exotic memory players, that attempt to fix virtually everything that we have found wrong with CD playback, and more! They sound pretty good, too. In one of the Ayre rooms, I saw the most outstanding projection video that I have ever seen in my life.
I found myself comparing notes with designers from all over the world. Most believe in differences in components to a great degree. I have little or no trouble with other audio designers at all, as we share the same design experience. Some were a little over the top, but their sound was often pretty good anyway. My only disappointment was not talking privately with Charles Hansen of Ayre. I saw him at a seminar, but he was not publicly available, to the best of my knowledge. I normally learn more from him than anyone else. I also bought an audio book called:'Get Better Sound' by Jim Smith, an audio consultant. Easy reading and open minded too, without selling anyone anything in particular. He and I essentially share the same audio philosophy, which is based on experience. I recommend it.
John,

There will always be those that say that we can't and those that know that we can :-)

Last edited by Curly Woods; 6th October 2009 at 10:56 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!