Midwest (USA) DIY get together?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anybody know if any DIYers get together in the Chicago area? I went to a PSACS meeting once and was kind of put off by it. I dragged some DIY speakers I built and nobody was interested in listening to them. Nobody offered to hook them up. I left disappointed. Is the Midwest a DIYer waste land??
BK

PSACS= Prairie State Audio Construction Society

I'm in Chicago, on the north side.

I'm more skilled in metal and wood work that circuitry, but I can definitely build stuff and am interested in what other people are doing, trying to learn as much as I can. So, I'd definitely be interested in getting together for show and tell and hear.

Right now, I'm working on building a portable CD player.

--Buckapound

SO...if there is interest in the Midwest.....

Here is what I can contribute.

1. Help getting things going. I'd volunteer to host it myself but maybe once I see there is a demand and that there are some folks willing/able to help. I'm just not willing (yet) to host it myself until I see how many folks are coming.

2. Door Prize. One pair of genuine White Van speakers. Straight from a Home Depot parking lot bought for $300 by an unnamed family member. Free to anyone willing to cart them home. How bad can they sound....Really?? Let's give them a good listen!

3. A small 2-way speaker built by me a few years ago. Uses an 8 inch and a small dome - xover at 1800 Hz. Sounds pretty good but let's all listen to it.

4. Use of an HP 339 distortion analyzer. Got it off Ebay and it can measure distortion pretty low < .05%. Has a built-in low distortion signal source. Bring any amplifiers you want measured.

5. Equipment: Denon vintage receiver - 100W or so. Yamaha CD player/changer. Cable too but I do not use/own esoteric cables. Just plain jane stuff.

6. I'd like to hear: SACD and any other DIY speakers you've built. Class A amps or tube amps would be nice to hear as well. Anything you've built or that you won't find in Best Buy would be OK. Any Dipoles?? Flat Panel speakers?? ElectroStatics?? Stuff like that. Home Theater need not apply. I'm stereo only.

I'm in the Bartlett Area.
Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.