The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is Burning Amp?
See us at
Burning Amp Festival

An annual experiment in temporary community dedicated to radical self-expression and self-reliance. To truly understand this event, one must participate.
You belong here and you participate.

You're not the weirdest kid in the classroom — there's always somebody there who's thought up something you never even considered.

You're here to survive. What happens to your brain and body when exposed to 107 dB sounds, moisture wicking off your body and dehydrating you within minutes? You know and watch yourself. You'll want to reconsider drinking that alcohol (or taking those other substances) you brought with you — the mind-altering experience of Burning Amp is its own drug.

You're here to create. Since nobody at Burning Amp is merely a spectator, you're here to build your own new world. You've built an egg for a loudspeaker enclosure, a tube amp made of light sticks, a preamp that looks like a shark's fin. You've covered your cables in silver, you're wearing a straw hat and a string of pearls, or maybe a skirt for the first time. You withstand the laughter of others.

You're here to experience. Listen to the music in the expanse of nothingness with your eyes closed.

You're here to celebrate. On Sunday night, we'll burn the Amp. As the procession starts, the circle forms, and the amp ignites, you experience something personal, something new to yourself, something you've never felt before. It's an epiphany, it's primal, it's newborn. And it's completely individual. You'll leave as you came. The waste you make and the objects you consume leave with you. Volunteers will stay for weeks to return the venue to its pristine condition. But you'll take the world you built with you. When you head back down the dusty roads toward home, you slowly reintegrate to the world you came from. You feel in tune with the other geeks that shared the same community. Over time, vivid images still dance in your brain, floating back to you when the weather changes. The Burning Amp community, whether your friends, your new acquaintances, or the Burning Amp project, embraces you. At the end, though your journey to and from Burning Amp are finished, you embark on a different journey — forever.

Where is Burning Amp?
The First Annual Burning Amp Festival will be held in beautiful downtown San Francisco. The address will be a deep, dark secret except to those who wish to experience. The space we have is huge and wonderful.

When is Burning Amp?
Editor's note: The first burning amp was October 20-21, 2007

Who is Burning Amp?
It's you, it's us, it's the community. And there will be some incredibly interesting guests, talks, and demonstrations. As they are announced, they will be added to this thread. (advance peek: equipment demos and displays from the ever-genial Nelson Pass, a talk on methods of subjective evaluation and a speaker measurement clinic by yours truly, and the introduction and explication of a radically new ribbon speaker technology by its inventor. Bring the stuff you're proud of and unleash your Inner Geek.
(with many apologies to Molly Steenson)

NOTE: go to this companion thread for more posts detailing what people are bringing..
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109620

Last edited by a moderator:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
SY said:
............don't ask questions, just do it!

as you probably know- I'll do everything to fulfill my promise to host of TBAF - he'll burn some seeds of crazy smiling vegetable .......
edit:
mebbe I can urge him to make one Poor Man's All Eminence OB for that occasion ? with all that funny blobs and blurps and sticks on cones...

:rolleyes:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm high on the real thing: Powerful amplifiers, burned fingers, the smell of lead solder...

Scott Wurcer? You gotta come! Only bring Jimmah if he promises NOT to give a presentation.. Yes, we elves here in S.F. have been working on this for awhile. Well worth a road trip from wherever you are. Choky, you can just swim over... Take the canal though..it's shorter. I guess we need a prize for longest trip to get here. For Ashok! Rumors are that there will be a live feed of events....

:captain:
Variac the Destroyer

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Variac said:

Scott Wurcer? You gotta come! Only bring Jimmah if he promises NOT to give a presentation..

Yes, we elves here in S.F. have been working on this for awhile. Well worth a road trip from wherever you are. Choky, you can just swim over... Take the canal though..it's shorter. I guess we need a prize for longest trip to get here. For Ashok!

Rumors are that there will be a live feed of events....

:captain:
Variac the Destroyer

I could bring a huge pile of reject op-amps to burn. We could put them in a big Wicker Man.

SY and Variac,

This gathering sounds like a great idea. I can't say as I care for the name living as close as I do to the namesake event and knowing way too many people who attend that.

Heres a question: Will there be an opportunity to bring things we might want to trade or sell? - a swap shop or flea market opportunity if you will? This is northern California after all!

Graeme

gl said:
SY and Variac,

This gathering sounds like a great idea. I can't say as I care for the name living as close as I do to the namesake event and knowing way too many people who attend that.

Heres a question: Will there be an opportunity to bring things we might want to trade or sell? - a swap shop or flea market opportunity if you will? This is northern California after all!

Graeme

Hello Graeme,
here is the third elf. It is a great idea to bring stuff for swap or sale. That is exactly the concept behind our festival - great gathering, awesome sound, getting to know each other, hear our One and Only presenters and maybe take home some goodies! (I am not going to list surprises)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.