The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Clubs & Events

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2007, 05:31 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

I forgot to ask.
Does one stay elsewhere and come for the meet every day or are there facilities at the meet location ?My impression of the US after my previous visits is that everything is many many miles apart all over the country - possibly less so on the East Coast.

So what all does one have to plan for ?Sorry for the apparently silly questions. It would help to know where the meet is located.
Cheers,
Ashok.

Last edited by Variac; 20th May 2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 16th August 2007, 06:05 AM   #32
Variac is online now Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Ashok and others that this will help:

There will be good refreshments, but hey, one of those dry ice halloween punchbowls-- that sounds like a good idea!!

OK, I realize that we from San Francisco like to go on forever about how we like our city, but a couple of million tourists a year can't be wrong- right?

First, SF is very unusual for a US city. It is only seven by seven miles, and surrounded on three sides by water. For this reason it is very compact and it is easy to get around; by bus, streetcar, cable car, taxi, etc...

The population of people actually living here is about 700,000 so while it is a city- it's a tiny one.. .

The meet is in an industrial area, so there isn't lodging next door, but nothing is very far away.

Hotels generally aren't cheap , but you can look into that online and in guidebooks. Since you brought it up first, you are welcome to stay at my place for the nights of the show if you actually come!!!

The weather here in October is some of the best of the year. While there is a chance of rain, otherwise it is sunny and clear. Summer really isn't as good because of the fog...

There are over 9 million people in the SF Bay Area outside of the city itself, so I suspect most attendees will be driving into the city. This would fit your image of US urban areas being spread out.. By the way: Lots of free parking available at the event site.

For those with friends to stay with in Silicon Valley (Sunnyvale, San Jose, Palo Alto, Cupertino, Mountain View, etc. ) It is about an hour to SF, and there is train service from many of the towns..

One of the things I enjoy most about DIY Audio is its international flavor, so I would love to get a good mix of people from everywhere.. Of course if you are coming a decent distance make sure to stay at least a couple of days extra to see the area. It's quite beautiful....

Variac
Old 16th August 2007, 10:44 AM   #33
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hey I just found out that the plane ticket is like 850usd....anybody got a spare room?

Magura

Last edited by Variac; 20th May 2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 16th August 2007, 10:56 AM   #34
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Magura
Hey I just found out that the plane ticket is like 850usd....anybody got a spare room?

Magura
buy me a ticket from Serbia and back and I'll find you a room

Old 16th August 2007, 11:07 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Hi Variac ,
Thanks for the invite and I think I'll take it up. I have friends around in the Bay Area but most are too far away to drop me every day. However I could get to your place on day one and stay the nights of the show as you suggested and go back to my friends place after that. Solves the commute problem also very neatly. While I drive here, getting around to driving there is not something I've solved yet ! The Indian driving license was frowned upon for a very long time !

OK , now I'll really have to start working HARD .
Boy , this sounds exciting . I've always travelled on work , this is something else !

Cheers,
Ashok.

Old 16th August 2007, 02:10 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ashok
The Indian driving license was frowned upon for a very long time !

Cheers,
Ashok.
For good reason!

Old 16th August 2007, 03:22 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

".......For good reason!......"

Yes Scott , that's applicable to most drivers over here.
However I'm a careful driver and my friends tell me I'm in the wrong country !

Cheers,
Ashok.

Last edited by Variac; 20th May 2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 16th August 2007, 05:49 PM   #38
Variac is online now Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

I think I could find Magura a spot somewhere, with someone, if not at my place. I think the woman in your avatar lives down the street!
You would have to bring at least one of your outragiously machined components for the show...
You are welcome to leave some big heatsinks here to lighten your return trip!!!

Variac

Old 16th August 2007, 06:49 PM   #39
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac
I think I could find Magura a spot somewhere, with someone, if not at my place. I think the woman in your avatar lives down the street!

You would have to bring at least one of your outragiously machined components for the show...

You are welcome to leave some big heatsinks here to lighten your return trip!!!

Variac

Well...Mrs. Magura is not gonna be happy to hear that Miss Monroe lives down the street
Counting out that little detail, I just might take you up on the offer and drop by...

Magura

Old 16th August 2007, 06:58 PM   #40
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

If Mark can't find you something downtown, there's always a room up here.

Hide this!Advertise here!