The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening - Page 282 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Clubs & Events

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2014, 01:00 AM   #2811
SL08 is offline SL08  United States
diyAudio Member

I love the BAF because it brings together a group of extreme and totally dedicated people who are more interested in passing on ideas and learning than selling or buying stuff. I love the slightly chaotic arrangements and the cooperation it requires from people and which is freely given. Fort Mason is a great location, but the acoustics are reverberant to the extreme. That has two problems: a very high ambient noise level from people talking and secondly the majority of loudspeakers are not designed to work optimally in even modestly reverberant spaces. So forget about critical listening. I thought the BAF was about amplifiers. Maybe speakers should only be played to demo electronic gear. It would then be up to the gear designer to arrange for speakers to demo his/her stuff. Basically loudspeakers are only used when needed and not demo'ed for their own sake. I have observed when demoing speakers at Fort Mason that just opening the door to the hallway introduces way too much noise and that people in the room have to be really quiet to hear a semblance of what the speakers are capable off. Let's forget about loudspeakers and keep talking about electronics and, yes, also about loudspeakers. BAF should not become one of the many hotel room based audio shows. It would be a real loss.

SL
Old 23rd May 2014, 07:32 AM   #2812
amb is offline amb  United States
diyAudio Member

Despite the name, BAF is every bit a speaker builder's event as it is an amp builder's. Or for that matter, DAC builder, electronic crossover builder, turntable builder, etc.

People bring in speakers of all sorts -- line arrays, horns, dipoles, monitors, single-driver, multi-way, you name it. They are projects of their own merit, not simply as a way to demo electronics.

As for the general disdain of hotels, not all of them are alike. Some have conference rooms with much better acoustics than Fort Mason. I don't know what it costs for a day at Fort Mason, but a hotel is not necessarily more expensive. I know that a couple of years ago, the cost of a head-fi meet at the DoubleTree San Francisco Airport was $1150 for a large space split into 3 rooms, plus the hallway for people to hang out in. Even if we double that cost, and assuming we get at least 100 attendees, the $30 per-head charge should cover it all with cash to spare, and that's not counting any donations or sponsorship.

Personally, I'm not too worried about whether the Golden Gate Bridge is or isn't right outside. It sure is nice, but as an audio event, Fort Mason leaves a lot to be desired. Visitors from afar will find their way to San Francisco and other local attractions, before or after BAF, as I'm sure they did in the past anyway. I believe that as long as the likes of Nelson Pass, Siegfried Linkwitz, etc., continue to grace us with their presence, people will come.
Old 23rd May 2014, 05:49 PM   #2813
diyAudio Member

For those who are interested in DIY loudspeakers, I encourage you to attend the meetings of the NorCal DIY Audio group. We try to meet up about once per year when Burning Amp is not taking place. This is usually in May, but this year we will be meeting in October as well, date TBD. The group meets in a venue in Davis, CA and this is about 1-1.5hrs drive from the Bay Area. Any interested person from the Bay Area can easily make a day out of it. You can even take BART/Amtrak-Capitol-Corridor to the Davis station if you want to avoid driving altogether.

If you want to get occasional updates about meetings from the group's EMail list, please sign up here:
NorCal DIY Audio group EMail list sign-up page
You can opt out of the EMails at any time. Otherwise just look for posts about the group's next meeting in this forum.

We would always love to have more people bring their DIY electronics projects!

Hide this!Advertise here!