The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening - Page 238 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Clubs & Events

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2011, 04:14 PM   #2371
TerryG is offline TerryG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post

Sorta dissapointed when it was the SiCk amp's turn.
The SIT sounded so much more fluid and spacious than the JFET critter, bummer.
Isn't this interesting I thought just the opposite. It is so hard to notice nuance with amps in these settings, rooms are terrible. More than anything I try to see what potential an amp has for a better environment (my room), and try to hear any grossly negative traits. Both the SIT and Beasts were very nice amplifiers.

Terry

P.S. Waynes little PP EL84 wasn't too bad, did a nice job of tuning that little amp. I was curious after I left BA to specifics as to parts and the circuit.
Old 6th October 2011, 04:49 PM   #2372
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
Close-up.
Those power supplies remind me of some that I used for arc welding metal!!!

LOL!!! - I went and counted columns and rows of little transistors and thought I wuz clever coming up with 2352 - and then I saw the hand written sign on top of the amp. Duh - Hey - I be winning dummy contest with ZM today!!!

Now I guess I will need to go and count the diodes.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pass 1000 FET Amp Power Supply.jpg (321.9 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg dunce-cap-thumb6706052.jpg (28.1 KB, 285 views)

Last edited by c2cthomas; 6th October 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 6th October 2011, 05:03 PM   #2373
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah... those power supplies looked really mean.

And no heatsinks! That must be a first for an amp biased in Class A. What a cool amp!
Old 6th October 2011, 05:22 PM   #2374
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
Did anybody get a chance to listen to this amp from Andersonix? And was he at the event?

It had some really innovative chassis work.
I was there, but I didn't play the 4xZen amp at this BAF. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 6th October 2011, 05:46 PM   #2375
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasaudio.co.nz View Post
I thought SL was encouraging all to use the ATI 1806 amp with the Orion 3.4's???
I think SL is relatively agnostic about amplifiers. The ATI does a nice job for
the Orions in a single (fairly inexpensive) package.

Old 7th October 2011, 10:13 PM   #2376
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryG View Post
Isn't this interesting I thought just the opposite. It is so hard to notice nuance with amps in these settings, rooms are terrible.

Terry
Well the Pass room was the worst room for sound. The room with the Orion's was a lot better I think. It had the most blankets! You weren't assigned to the Pass Pub but decided to accept Nelson's hospitality. Few people remembered their room assignments, and I couldn't find the copies of the online list in the crucial first half-hour, so to their credit, people just set up in whatever room seemed good. The online list DID do some good though- we had enough preamps and sources!

Somehow the Pass Pub didn't get the stacked table arrangement and enough blankets although I had given out diagrams for each room before going home for the nexrt load of stuff. I think there is a tendency for the people trying to help to assume that Nelson has his place as he wants, and he of course, didn't know of the options. Later we added a few more blankets, but there were then amps on all the tables and not many more blankets to speak of.

None of the rooms are great, but the blankets made a huge difference. We'll get more for next year. There really isn't any other facility that offers rooms of a reasonable size, so we're stuck with it. It will be better next year though.

Mark
Old 7th October 2011, 10:26 PM   #2377
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

some of blankets , not just in Papa's room , were left aside , unused .
what's the reason ..... ?

anyway - I really don't care , I heard hardly anything for entire BAF .

like most of attendees , I was there to talk with people and just see displayed gadgets .

that's my impression , and I really can't imagine BAF organized in better way .

Old 7th October 2011, 10:31 PM   #2378
Paper mache horn fabricator
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryG View Post
Isn't this interesting I thought just the opposite. It is so hard to notice nuance with amps in these settings, rooms are terrible. More than anything I try to see what potential an amp has for a better environment (my room), and try to hear any grossly negative traits. Both the SIT and Beasts were very nice amplifiers.

Terry

P.S. Waynes little PP EL84 wasn't too bad, did a nice job of tuning that little amp. I was curious after I left BA to specifics as to parts and the circuit.
I thought the beast with a thousand jfets sounded terrific! The SIC was a little too fluid, kind of like a passionate kiss without a nip on the lips
Old 7th October 2011, 10:38 PM   #2379
diyAudio Member

Mark did a great job trying to address the acoustics with the blankets. Not that all the acoustical issues were "solved", but I think the acoustics were a little better this year.

I have a couple potential suggestions:
1. Maybe some people can build some large acoustic diffraction panels, the kind with lots of blocks of differing size/depth? That could be a cool high school acoustics project that kids could do and it could be donated to the group...
2. We could try and get an acoustical engineer to give advice on sound treatment. They might be able to get in and make a couple of measurements before next year's meeting, and then devise some approaches to "improving" the acoustics...
3. People could be encouraged to DIY and bring acoustic traps and the like. This probably would require some knowledge of the problem frequencies in the room, however.

If this is "the only" venue that is practical for the meeting, then we should try to make the best of it. I think that speakers will continue to be an integral part of the event, since an amp just sitting there is not nearly as interesting as one powering a pair of speakers!

-Charlie
Old 7th October 2011, 11:07 PM   #2380
diyAudio Member

I think Mark did a great job as well! and with these sorts of things you sort of learn as you go along!

Some suggestions. and these are meant to be POSITIVE helpful things!

1- signage outside the building pointing where to go, floor number, rooms etc.

2- a small PA system in the great hall for presenters. a pair of speakers on sticks with a wireless mic would be great!

3- Scheduled times for featured DIY items. Like N.P's playing of the beast's and Sic amps. maybe later in the day, pic a time so that everyone knows when the amps will be running. or a persons item will be playing etc. maybe have people sign up for 15 minute blocks so everyone knows where to be and when.

4- Advanced signup and payment (paypal)

5- auction held in advance to win an the opportunity to join Mark, Nelson, Guest speakers (etc.) for dinner the night before BA.

Hide this!Advertise here!