Columbus DIY Audio Club

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mazurek said:
BTW, the extent of the business I'm most interested in is mainly trading electronics for cabinets or tool time, I've been developing some boards and will soon have gotten the fully integrated fully active loudspeaker down to where women could use it.

Great, I've got tools, can do cabinet building... As I'm a student now I can't afford to buy the little digital amps I want for amping each driver individually. I'd love to help you build cabinets in exchange for say, a mic preamp? And maybe we can build some "Wallin Jigs"? I wish to try a DSP crossover also but have not had the chance to do so yet. I guess it will be easy to do something like that using a PC as the source.

If I was really committed to having a speaker business I wouldn't be in school presently. I do like the idea of designing then selling a small quantity of small (high WAF) good sounding speakers perhaps.

I've got a few of those Peerless 6.5" Nomex drivers and a case of little Tang Band subwoofers waiting to go into some prototypes. I'm sad to see that the Peerless HDS 134 (sandwich cone) drivers have been discontinued, though the 5.5" Nomex driver looks to be almost as good and probably better than the 6.5" ones I have.

Maybe if we work together we can figure out some of these speaker design/testing programs. WindISD(&Pro) are very simple and easy, but also very limited - I've used those as a quick easy way to figure out what size cabinet to build.

PMA said:

Then you would know this place?
Sure, I would suspect any of us from around Columbus know that view.

I'm extremely tired, had two finals today, pls. forgive typos/spelling errors... (I got 104% in my C++ class :p)

PMA said:

Then you would know this place?

Hi PMA, that looks like the church on Hilliard-Rome just north of the I-70 interchange. I live about 2 miles from there!

I would be interested in a get-together but I don't have a lot of time. I started an amplifier project six months ago and haven't finished it yet. I have most of the electronics done, but I have very little metalworking tools. I work full time as a engineer and have designed circuit boards for a number of corporations in the last 20 years.

rossl said:

I would be interested in a get-together but I don't have a lot of time. I started an amplifier project six months ago and haven't finished it yet. I have most of the electronics done, but I have very little metalworking tools. I work full time as a engineer and have designed circuit boards for a number of corporations in the last 20 years.

Welcome to the thread! Great, what sort of metalworking tools do you need? I've got a nice drill press, a couple bench grinders, and a dremel tool. I'd like to get welding stuff for things like funky speaker grills and custom driver baskets.

mazeroth said:
So, are we still working on a concrete date/time for everyone to meet up?

rossl said:
I will be out of town the 12th through the 14th, but the 15th and 16th would be great because I'm taking a couple days off from the day job.

Ok so how about a meeting in the Hilliard area on the 15th, but anybody want to meet up before then near campus here?

I don't think anybody that I've known for the past several years has had much free time. Back when I worked for SGI out of the Philly office I did, it was like being an ambulance driver somewhere not many people get hurt, you just wait around having fun until you get the call then you bust your *** for a little while, fix the customer's issue, then back to killing time. There was a pool table and a ping pong table, both within 15 feet of my cubicle.

I know just enough electronics to be dangerous (nothing particularly advanced) so I don't think I'll be creating my own amp designs - though I did request some sample parts from TI a while back. I had wanted to build some "Class T" amps using TriPath chips more than three years before the "T-Amp" came out, just couldn't afford the prototype boards. For years now I've been wanted to design/build/sell an active speaker system with a built in DSP crossover/filters/room correction/1 amp per driver. B&O, and a few other companies have done so since then. I listened to the B&O version at their showroom at Eastontown Mall off I270 East, I didn't think much of it though I didn't have any of my own reference CDs with me at the time.

critofur said:

Welcome to the thread! Great, what sort of metalworking tools do you need? I've got a nice drill press, a couple bench grinders, and a dremel tool. I'd like to get welding stuff for things like funky speaker grills and custom driver baskets.

Access to a drill press would be really cool. I have to get the stuff out of the box and figure out where to drill. I'm going to be modifying an existing Adcom amp box. Thanks.

Um, I guess some people are working fellows, so maybe 7 o'clock. I can provide some snacks to eat, I'm personally dry but won't impose if anyone wishes to bring beer.

I have to play with just a single set of gear, so if you want anything to compare or show off, bring it, or we go to your house next time. Got no record player.

There are a couple of industrial electrical suppliers around columbus, like Grainger, but I've never been to any, as they never have anything I need.

If its ok with you critofur, I say you are the leader of this diy group, so can you send out a final email giving the final details of the event that you decide.

I just ate there yesterday! :D

Would you guys be against something along the lines of Panera Bread? Cheeseburger in Paradise was decent but it was pretty loud in there. I think something along the lines of Panera Bread or any other "quieter" restaurant would be better. Sorry to be the jerk! ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.