2018 Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio Get Together

Mark - Brubeck, have some live recording of Desmond from Toronto 1975. Poor Desmond too much coffee and cigarettes, and ladies - lang cancer. The audio shop is awesome. 2010 Sony release, I just hope it's not like 2016 Pink Floyd Echoes re-release - copies of the original CD made on analog tapes using a fine mid 80's deck, encoded in Dolby probably sound better. Hmmm, hmm.

Bit of a slow response - However, the "Time Out" CD people heard, was actually from the 5 disk set that Sony released in 2010.

The Quartet's "Time in Outer Space" is another disk from the set, and it has a few good tunes on it.
The ride cymbal, double bass are beautifully recorded.
Mic placement on the piano could be debated - Unfortunately, Desmond's alto sax has distortion - Augh !

I changed the Constant Current Source on my preamp from bi polars (which is what people heard) to a jFET.
Spent ages trying to figure out what was causing the distortion.
But it was the recording of the alto sax the whole time.

But at $24, I still recommend the set.

For the curious, here's the thread for the Napoleons:
The Napoleons: a Compact 2 Way that punches above its weight

Paul, here's that Brubeck CD I mentioned. Much better sounding than the vinyl copy I have. Bypass ebay extortion, be glad to give you a FLAC rip sometime.
DAVE BRUBECK " TIME OUT " (SONY-24KARAT-GOLD-CD/FACTORY SEALED) | eBay

Thanks for bringing the Napoleon's - as I mentioned, this was the first time I've heard a 2.1 system - and it was seamless.
I didn't hear any transition from the mid drivers to the subwoofer.

It seemed like version 4 of the crossover was more holographic than version 1.
Now getting into a technical discussion, with a bunch of engineers, may not be the smartest thing do to
however, I suspect that version 4 not only made the frequency response flatter - but also reduced the amount of phase shift.
So I'm wondering if the key to making speakers "disappear" is minimizing changes in phase angle, within a certain bandwidth.

It would be fabulous to get a FLAC version of that "Time Out" on CD

Another pic of the v1 Napoleons. Yeah, they sound good even at this angle.

Attachments

• 20180428_151950.jpg
    20180428_151950.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 173
And the Woden Designs Lotus (by Scottmoose) with Mark Audio CHR70EN (v1 drivers with EnABL treatment by Planet10).
The Baltic birch cabinets aren't nice enough for a clear finish. I can't decide whether to paint or veneer them. In the meantime I enjoy the sound, as long as the recording is good. Bad recordings are quite unbearable.
It was the first time hearing single driver speakers for many people at the meet. I heard a number of positive comments about the clarity of the sound.

Attachments

• 20180428_114823.jpg
    20180428_114823.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 173
The Baltic birch cabinets aren't nice enough for a clear finish. I can't decide whether to paint or veneer them.

As with any finish or adhesive, if you are not sure about it, try it on a sample first.

Bonds Decor, on Bank, now careers a (pre or post ?) catalyzed lacquer
but the VOC's off that stuff is awful.
Also, I'm certainly not a fan of oil or water based urethane finishes.
However, for Baltic Birch, I'd suggest satin or semi gloss Minwax rub on oil based polyurethane,
which leaves a finish a little more natural looking than the typical oil based urethanes.
It can be applied with a rag - and as always, rags go into the outside garbage.

There is a technique of applying a veneer with a clothing iron,
but I would sand the birch, and put Minwax urethane on.

Also - before finishing them, I'd suggest building a wide base for them,
which would include the use of floor spikes.

Ah, one thing I forgot to mention. The way the old B&W replayed kick drum was one the closest to the real thing I have heard from loudspeaker. Now, is it the recording that was played or the spkrs. We should have this old set of Bowers examined internally. At least I was surprised at well they played from paper cones.

Anybody see a blue nylon jacket at the community centre? I think I left it in the kitchen area behind the door on one of the hooks. It's dark blue with a 3 lions (England) crest. There was $100 in one of the pockets. Keep the cash, I just want the jacket.

Pierre do you think they have a lost and found?

Johnk

Ah, one thing I forgot to mention. The way the old B&W replayed kick drum was one the closest to the real thing I have heard from loudspeaker. Now, is it the recording that was played or the spkrs. We should have this old set of Bowers examined internally. At least I was surprised at well they played from paper cones.

Eh ??? It was the amps that made that system.

Seriously, B&W service manuals are posted on line. The model number is DM110's.
http://bwgroupsupport.com/manuals/bw-service

Analog tape to modern digital transfers can be very impressive.
The drums Joe Morello played on "Time Out" were 1950's WFL's.
These were among the finest drums ever made.
Mylar heads were just replacing calf skin heads in the late 1950's
when this album was recorded.
Looking at the photos, it looks like mylar heads were used.

The human ear gets much of its clues from the transient response of a note.
During this time, there is a tremendous rate of change in the overtone series.
So I think its important for a system to able to accurately reproduce
the transient responce from a musical instrument.

Question(s) for Pierre:

I don't think that this came up for discussion previously & if it did, I didn't make note. It's about your Aikido pre. Thanks for finishing it in time for the meet & bringing it.

As I recall, you mentioned that you found that the Aikido was quieter & maybe preferred to your previous preamp(s). What pre did it replace?

From the little I understand, I think that the Aikido design can be configured for different tubes, and I think that you might have picked up a Broskie TubeCad board. Nevertheless, I don't know what tube complement you are using in your Aikido. Care to share with the group?

Thanks, Ron