2018 Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio Get Together

I got a box full of hammond transformers just like that.

there are lots of tables, lots of hydro.

I tested some more tubes with my tube tester and it didnt trip any circuit breakers.

showtime is around 10AM.

I remember epitek and have forgotten lots more.

Correct me if I am wrong Pierre.

I got a box full of hammond transformers just like that.
there are lots of tables, lots of hydro.
I tested some more tubes with my tube tester and it didnt trip any circuit breakers.
showtime is around 10AM.
I remember epitek and have forgotten lots more.
Correct me if I am wrong Pierre.

Sounds Great - Saturday the 28th at 10 am is it.

There is very little info about Epitek chip amps on line.
The ones I have are model 5070 and are MOSFET units.
In the 1970's, I used to partner them a Dynaco PAT 4 preamp made from a kit.
This was Dynaco's first ss preamp and its sonics ( or lack of ) was really holding the Epitek units back.
I recently built a new the case for the Epiteks. Had I known how good their sonics are,
I would have put a bit more effort into the new case and wiring.
Certainly, they drive a pair of B&W 110 two way speakers without breaking a sweat.

So what I'm really saying is : I'm making excuses for the case and wiring now, before everyone sees it.
However, look carefully and the star ground node is on the chip amps themselves.

As for the old Hammond hummer : I may have a go at potting it after the 28th.

Paul

This is going to be a nice event, anyone could bring a USB DAC? Would it be possible to point out the USB connectors required (A, B, mini, etc). I was in Montreal a the show in a Nordost's cabled room and watched a USB cable demo: they performed in acceding order of price, of course! Any way, I don't own a USB dac, so I'd like to test two usb cables made from my linen braided wire, if we have time.

Félix-A.

This is going to be a nice event, anyone could bring a USB DAC? I'd like to test two usb cables made from my linen braided wire, if we have time.

Félix-A.

I'll be bringing my system which includes a USB cable in it for the dac. I would prefer to test after my demo though. It should let you know if things are working at least.

I got my "obselete" parts speakers finished (I'll add I'm not a carpenter but I like the finished results with the help of a little putty ;-) ) and a few people are interested in playing with Dirac software to see it's like. I'm using the same electronics as I used for the green monsters a couple years ago so it's a multi amp, active setup.

It should be a good day for sure.

Grant.

I have a proposal for some of us to get together and put together some simple room treatment this year.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.comfortboard-80.1000737930.html

This stuff has great absorbing qualities and has the wonderful ability to stand up all by itself. If we had 4 to 6 bundles we could treat our room very easily.

Let me know what you guys think.

I have a proposal for some of us to get together and put together some simple room treatment this year.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.comfortboard-80.1000737930.html

This stuff has great absorbing qualities and has the wonderful ability to stand up all by itself. If we had 4 to 6 bundles we could treat our room very easily.

Let me know what you guys think.

OK This is a first. I'm quoting myself.

How come all is to quiet on the western front?

To flesh out the idea. I have a truck. And it will accompany me to the event.

If a few of us buy a few bundles of this acoustical goodness we can greatly improve the listening experience in the echo chamber we call a listening room.

If we repack the pieces carefully we can most likely return the tiles to boot.

She came back with me, so feeling the same we procrastinated together :D.

Nothing like togetherness ;)

So I may even have a set of speakers done before the weekend. Imagine, no glue, no measurement microphones and Dave to help me setup the crossover. Although Dave may be useful on Thursday or Friday to help get that done!

Daaaaaaave! :D

Somehow, I guess that I unsubscribed from the thread - I wasn't getting update notices - but I'll watch more closely, now that we're just hours away. fyi - I did invite a few of the irregular attendees that I've invited in the past, and 2 indicated that they thought that they'd stop in. However, I've not added their names, because we'll only be certain about their attendance when they get there.

Although I made some effort towards my goal of finishing a build, or two, to bring this time around, that hasn't come together (again). When I realized that I wouldn't have time to complete the MDF/wood speakers I started a while back, I decided to change direction to do a "quick build" i.e. a pair of foam core Mini Karlsonators. What I have confirmed is that someone else's "quick build" can be an exercise in frustration for me, so they won't be ready either. If you are thinking of trying one of these foam core builds, I would recommend that you do not start with a "cut and fold" plan, because foam core does not fold very well (in my experience).

Nevertheless, I am looking forward to seeing you all there, and hearing some tunes.

- Ron

Hi, John

Might be fun to hear your foam-cores again. So I'm ok with you bringing them.

I was on track for making mine with the same Vifa drivers that you used i.e. the ones we got from Owen long ago. However, as I said, I seriously doubt that I'll have mine ready for this year's event - working life, and all that - so no "face-off" possible.

- Ron