2018 Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio Get Together

It wasn't too much work finding members who have indicated Ottawa as their location. Search works pretty well. But not everyone puts down a location, and I didn't search for all the neighboring places.
I've also posted the event on Parts Express Techtalk forum, and the Canuck Audio Mart DIY forum.

Hi everyone, I'll bee happy to join the group on the 28. I'll bring a TT, a vintage lenco l75 idler wheel and a denon dl103-r, and a Clairtone C303 single ended tube amp (6GW8, ecl86) that I'm restoring. I'll also bring some cables that I make.
Also I rember last year one gentlemen had bring a tube tester, if it is still around, would it be possible to bring it? Finally an other gentlemen had brought some Jean Michel Jarre CDs, I have found the LP versions (oxygen and equinox), it would be nice to make a comparison, if we have time.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Awesome! I think the list is missing macboy (Aaron) and jjrh88.
You may also add my brother Daniel.

I am spending way too many hours dabbling in software for the new RTX6001 Audio Analyzer. But I am slow... If I have enough time to stabilize the software, i will bring the RTX and offer to test amplifiers. If Aaron brings his super analyzer, we could compare results.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi All;

What time on the 28th? I've not much to offer but would still like to come. I might be at a birthday party that day but I'd like to come to say hi and meet folks.

I just built a six channel Modulus 86 for use with Tranquility Bass's Ultimate Pre-amp (still waiting for that) and a new pair of speakers (also in progress). Next year I might have something to bring.

Thanks for organizing Mark.

Matt

Last edited:
Hi All;

What time on the 28th? I've not much to offer but would still like to come. I might be at a birthday party that day but I'd like to come to say hi and meet folks.

I just built a six channel Modulus 86 for use with Tranquility Bass's Ultimate Pre-amp (still waiting for that) and a new pair of speakers (also in progress). Next year I might have something to bring.

Thanks for organizing Mark.

Matt

Neat stuff.

As for organizing I'm but a cog in the big wheel. Pierre and John are the heavy lifters. I'm the official poop disturber!

Hi All;

Matt

It usually kicks off between 9 and 10 and lasts until the fuses get blown. (4-7 p.m.). Very casual get together with a good kitchen with fridge, microwave, sink and running water, washrooms etc. so we can bring food if we want. The acoustics aren't ideal but it is sooo cool to have a cabin in the middle of the city (wheelchair accessible as well). And of course, every one is welcome.

Grant.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Just in case anyone is going down Toronto way I’m posting the details

The Toronto DIY meeting will be Saturday, April 14th starting at 10 am until whenever we get boring. At the east end of Toronto, 7 minutes north of the 401 at Markham Road. We have a 3000 sq ft electrical shop with lots of space for the venue (and 4 JBL 4350 - 1970s studio monitor clones). All our fellow Diyers are welcome. PM for address details if it’s of interest.

Last edited:
Wow 3000 square feet. A little over twice our size. But we do have the luxury of having two sections divided by a wall and doors. So we can have two independent setups playing at modest levels. Or we can rock the house with one setup.

Hoping you a great turnout. We have had a pretty steady great group. Quality people interested in a day of hobby talk and listening to tunes.

Saturday 28 April 2018 is now confirmed and reserved. Please mark your calendars. This will be the ninth anniversary of our event!

I'm just finishing up a design of a cathode follower preamp using a single 6gm8 tube.
Haven't been electrocuted yet.

If its OK, I could bring the preamp along with a complete system to have a listen to on the 28th.
If its OK, I'll need a table, hydro and a place to set up.
What time ?

Also, I have a DIY chip amp I made more than a few years ago in High School.
The chip amps are MOSFET units made by an Ottawa company called Epitek.
Anyone remember this company ?
The Hammond E core power transformer in it hums like crazy.

Paul