2017 PNW DIY Show

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

The Puget Sound DIY Show on Saturday, August 26, 2017 starting at 10am on Mercer Island. This is a joint effort of the Pacific NorthWest Audio Society and the Sound DIY Club

This is not a contest as such, but rather a "run what ya brung" meet, that is open to all interested parties that would like to display, view or listen to DIY Audio equipment. The event will be held at:

The Mercer Island Congregational Church
4545 Island Crest Way
Mercer Island, WA 98040

The meet is scheduled for August 26th starting at 10am for the public. (If you have items to display, setup starts at 9:30am or so). We ask all interested parties that have gear they would like to show to let us know ASAP, in order to know how many tables, etc. we will need. If you bring bookshelf speakers, you may want to bring speaker stands from home. Hope to see you there!

Best Regards,
Terry Olson

Last edited:
Just a note to get the show rolling. This year I'm thinking of bringing a new pair of Open Baffle speakers with 8 inch Radian coaxials for the top end, crossed over with a series crossover along with a pair of plate amps for the 18 inch woofers mounted in "H" frames.

In addition, I will probably bring a tube pre-amplifer/ headphone amp set-up and perhaps an amplifier or two.
;)

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
It may be a bit premature to announce a possible exhibit that many will wish to see. I can tell you that there is a lot of very special gear that's been built in the last couple of years that we expect to be entered. Our DIY event is held every other year as an alternate to "The Puget Sound Speaker Contest". Speakers, Amplifiers, pre-amplifiers, DACs and Music Servers are just some of the things you'll probably see (and hear).

TerryO-

I was wondering - is there enough room to bring a complete system?

I'd like to bring a pair of bookshelf 2-ways, a pair of tapped horn bass units, a tube amp (SE), and my cd player. The speakers and amp are all DIY efforts.

If there's not enough room for all of that, I plan on at least bringing the bookshelf 2-ways. I've recently re-vamped the crossover, and I believe the sound quality has improved. :happy1:

Last edited:
Hey Dave,

Room? We've got 5 rooms not counting two bathrooms (nice reverb) and a storage area (very dead). Bring all you've got.

And don't forget all those half finished and half-hearted projects that you'll never get around to completing; some other builder is sure to find a use for the parts!

I will bring my revised "Beyond the Ariel" speaker system, the recently-completed Pimm Solid State Tabor amp, and a source setup (MacMini/Audirvana/exaSound dac).

I had been waiting to see if Gary was going to commit to bringing his whole system. He has related that his system has had a number of significant changes, upgrades or modifications from what we've seen before. Building
Audio is Gary's method of relaxation when he's not teaching music or Conducting an Orchestra.

Best Regards,
Terry

Baffled by ring of domes

Here is a taste of what I've been working on. If I can figure out how to make it sound good, I will pull the trigger. Here is the drawing for a ring shaped baffle to hold many 2" Aurasound drivers.

Attachments

• RingBaffle.jpg
    RingBaffle.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 234
Looking forward to join this event! I will bring the first open baffle active speakers I have been putting together. I got the drivers in last DIY speaker contest thanks to a very generous offer, caught the bug and urge to build my own at that time. Lots of good speakers and ideas from DIY enthusiasts in these events. I am sure it will also be a blast this time! Don't want to miss...

My open baffles will have 6 total ICE modules built-in, driving 3 way design: 2 x 1000ASP, 2 x 500ASP, and 2 x 500A. Some serious power! Via a DBX active crossover.

Max

I will bring my revised "Beyond the Ariel" speaker system, the recently-completed Pimm Solid State Tabor amp, and a source setup (MacMini/Audirvana/exaSound dac).

Gary,

Your system will blow every other system out of the water. I think we'll have to set you up in the little room together with the headphone amps. That way we can be assured that some folks will have to stand outside the door and might possibly hear some of the other entries.

My open baffles have significantly improved since the contest

I will bring my 4way (5way with rear tweeter) tapered, solid cherry open baffles that feature 18"subs, 12"Bozak woofs, Faital Pro mids, and dome&AMT tweets.

I hope to get around to completing some circa 1965 KLH model 19 .25 cuft walnut cabs, stuffed with 5 new drivers and a 6x9 PR in each! Not a simple and elegant design, but I like the retro cabs and the prototype goes loud and clean. The sound is balanced and clear. Basically a 3way mini monitor with dipole-effect drivers and PR on the back. Maybe show with a sub.

Hi All,

I'm from Canada and have been doing DIY for the past 10 years. I'd like to crash your event but can't bring anything because I do not want any trouble at the border. Would I be able to just show up, listen and chat at this event? Its one of the only places within driving distance for me :).

Cheers,

P.S. All your projects look fantastic!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.