Puget Sound DIY Meet -August 29th

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Puget Sound DIY Get-Together August 29th, 2015 starting at 10am - Mercer Island
This is not a contest as such, but rather a "run what ya brung" meet, that is open to all interested parties that would like to display, view or listen to DIY Audio equipment. The event will be held at:

The Mercer Island Congregational Church
4545 Island Crest Way
Mercer Island, WA 98040

A Map and directions may be found at: Congregational Church of Mercer Island Map: RSCDS Seattle, Washington, Royal Scottish Country Dance Society

The meet is scheduled for August 29th, 2015 starting at 10am for the public. (If you have items to display, setup starts at 9:30am or so). We ask all interested parties that have gear they would like to show to let us know ASAP, in order to know how many tables, etc. we will need. If you bring bookshelf speakers, you may want to bring speaker stands from home. Hope to see you there!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hi All,

Ok, just a bit of a preview. I'll be bringing some of my "stuff" for show and tell. Right now it looks like a Passively-Active Linestage, a Tube Head-Phone Amp (& Pre-Amp) and perhaps a pair of speakers or two.

I may squeeze in a few other things before the big day! Anyone else have an idea what they may bring?

Best Regards,
TerryO
:D

Careful Terry, he's another one of those Crazy Canucks.

Cal,

When you say: "...he's another one of those Crazy Canucks."
You make it sound as if there may be a few more of them around, when in fact it's proved to be a rare occation when you come across one that isn't. Am I mistaken, or isn't there actually a Canadian Coin that honors the Canadian People? I believe it's called a "Loonie"

Last edited:
Now, now, those Canucks are great people. I've spent a lot of time up on the island and it's been enjoyable every time. :)

Dave.

Dave,

The Primitive Natives are certainly clever in their own seemingly Rustic Manner. They will act quite friendly at first, perhaps even offer you their very own igloo to sleep in! You have to watch them like a hawk, all the while exercising Magical Ju-Ju and displaying Totems and Symbols of Intense Mystical Powers to hold them in check! It's not easy dealing with these Primitive People, as they are not predictable at all. One of the first warning signs is after they have been drinking their raw native beverages, they will start to disrobe and walking around semi-naked often waving Torches, Sledge Hammers and (Their Favorite) Large Wreaking Bars. What can follow that, is too awful to even relate....

Anyway, you've been warned...........

However, it will be my task to show our visitor the domestic advantages of modern American society.

Captain "X"

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2001
I take your point Terry.

I did have an interesting experience in Victoria the day of the USA/Canada Olympic hockey final though. :)
I think there were definitely some raw native beverages being consumed then. :)

I always find it interesting browsing Costco when up north and checking out the aisles of hockey gear. :) You don't see that here, aye.

Anyways, sorry for the threadjack......back to your regularly scheduled programme.

Dave.

this is great! i went to one at the church many years ago (I live in Duvall) and haven't been able to make it since due to summer vacas w/kids and such. i'll bring a pair of Dennis Murphy Usher two-ways that i love, was thinking about my Elsinore MKVs but only briefly as they are way too heavy to think about travelling :)
looking forward to it.
Scott

this is great! i went to one at the church many years ago (I live in Duvall) and haven't been able to make it since due to summer vacas w/kids and such. i'll bring a pair of Dennis Murphy Usher two-ways that i love, was thinking about my Elsinore MKVs but only briefly as they are way too heavy to think about travelling :)
looking forward to it.
Scott

Hi Scott,

If you can make it to the event, that would be great! You actually live way out in Duvall?

I think it will be the best DIY Event yet! ;)
Best Regards,
TerryO

I take your point Terry.

I did have an interesting experience in Victoria the day of the USA/Canada Olympic hockey final though. :)
I think there were definitely some raw native beverages being consumed then. :)

I always find it interesting browsing Costco when up north and checking out the aisles of hockey gear. :) You don't see that here, aye.

Anyways, sorry for the threadjack......back to your regularly scheduled programme.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

No point to be taken...I always give the Canucks a bad time. The fact is that I know a fair number of them that I count as friends of long standing...and they can certainly give it out as well (or better) than they take. :rolleyes:

As far as threadjacking...I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary for one of these threads!

Best Regards,
Captain "X"

yep, we're way out in the country! ;) we have family near the meeting church and it's not too long of a drive at all. will there by a sort of swap meet? i might try to thin out my collection a bit to make room for some more.
looking forward to it!
Scott

Hi Scott,

You're really out in the Country for sure! Do you have electric power? I suspect that you might, it's gotten where a lot of very remote areas now have electric power, although perhaps your neighbors may use portable generators for a few hours a day.

We have people that bring stuff to swap or sell, but it's up to the individual to keep an eye on their own stuff. We may have a few tables, but if you're bringing an appreciable amount of swap stuff, you may want to also bring a folding table of some sort.

Best Regards,
TerryO

looking forward to it.
Scott

Hi Scott,
If you change your mind about the Elsinore's, it would sure be fun to hear them.

Best,
John

As regards what I might bring:

If my summer vacation doesn't overlap the event, and it's up in the air right now, I've got a couple of tube amps and a tube linestage that I can bring. I also have a couple of tester amps that are on boards that are also possibilities. Might also bring a pair of mini-monitors which were designed by Lynn Olson which he named ME-2.

If there is a need for a DAC, I could bring my Behringer DEQ-2496 in which I've replaced the analog output circuits with Onetics transformers. It becomes a quite nice DAC without the rotten analog stage.

John

As regards what I might bring:

If my summer vacation doesn't overlap the event, and it's up in the air right now, I've got a couple of tube amps and a tube linestage that I can bring. I also have a couple of tester amps that are on boards that are also possibilities. Might also bring a pair of mini-monitors which were designed by Lynn Olson which he named ME-2.

If there is a need for a DAC, I could bring my Behringer DEQ-2496 in which I've replaced the analog output circuits with Onetics transformers. It becomes a quite nice DAC without the rotten analog stage.

John

John,

Everything you've mentioned sounds quite interesting. The modified DAC is something that we haven't ever seen before at one of our events. If you can make it to our event, bring all of it!

Best Regards,
Terry

i'd love to bring the Elsinores, but man they are a chunk! now, if someone wants to come load and carry them, i could also pack up my Bill Fitzmaurice THT LP, Table Tuba or diy Danley couch sub........then we would be cookin' with gas! :eek:

p.s. the last 2 subs would love a new home, since they've been in my garage for over a year (hint hint)

cheers,
Scott

I was just talking to one individual on the phone that will be bringing a number of items that he has designed. They will probably prove to be quite interesting.

He told me that he intends to bring a pair of self-designed tower speakers, at least one (or perhaps a couple) tube-based amplifiers, a Pre-Amp, a DAC, a Distribution Box and a Phono Pre-Amp.

At this point in time he will remain nameless, by his own request! :shhh:

Best Regards,
Captain "X"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.