The future of Lone Star Audio Fest (LSAF)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did have one complaint about Embassy this year. I came in on Wednesday. I picked up my second room on Thursday and my 3rd room on Friday.The 3rd floor row straight above check in were not available. They said they were blocked. I assumed it was do to others for LSAF. The rooms never got used still forcing some to the dark corners.

Austin has SXSW each March - something that the bigger audio players can and do support. Perhaps connecting to that effort using informal means would cover Austin/Houston/Dallas audio show needs. SXSW is of course playing to a much younger crowd, which means hand-held/earbud devices--and perhaps more HT stuff.

Perhaps LSAF should think about refocusing their vision for a sustainable target audience demographic? DIY audio in two channel alone probably isn't going to be an expanding group vs. time. If you are going to track traditional audiophiles you're going to be competing with RMAF, etc. with much deeper pockets and more "mature" preferences...

On a more delicate note: I'd also recommend giving LSAF exhibitors some blanket pointers in how to enhance the acoustical performance of their display rooms. Last year my experience was that a few first floor exhibitors were having real trouble getting set up acoustically in their respective rooms (but not all exhibitors). However it was a much more prevalent issue than I had expected. The small hotel rooms are also acoustically difficult to deal with - and some tips and pointers on the AudioRoundTable.com site might help.

Personally, I'd like to see more emphasis on getting many more good loudspeaker dealers/reps that might enhance the word-of-mouth campaign in years to come. It looked like Polk pulled out this year. I'd like to see more of those type of setups than analog/tube equipment playing on very small full-range driver setups in small hotel rooms.

Finally, exhibitors typically are motivated to come back based on prior year sales. Word of mouth ad campaigns should extend to the realm of creating sales for exhibitors...shouldn't it?

JMTC:YMMV...

Chris

Last edited:
When I emailed Wayne and Pete, I definitely wasn't wanting to change locations, change months, throw the baby out with the bathwater, make a bunch of money or just screw **** up. "

This could be taken poorly by people who want to or are trying to improve the situation. I know I did. Take it poorly. I am hoping people who attended and people who have shown at LSAF can weigh in without worrying that their comments/suggestions/ideas have already been dismissed.
I really hope more people join the conversation and I really want to know what they feel can be done.

Interesting discussion.

One comment stood out to me:

We started off the show with a basic premise: To give the niche-market audiophile companies a place to show their wares that wasn't expensive

Certainly this year, and maybe to a lesser extent last year, the "exhibitors" seemed to be more individuals, DIYers, and audio clubs, rather than niche manufacturers. I think manufacturers were in the minority.

Perhaps this lack of focus is hurting the event? And maybe is the reason for a lack of promotion?

Would it make sense to split off the DIY and audio club crowd to a different event? John Q. Public who might be interested in coming to audition speakers or equipment most likely is puzzled by presence of those freaky DIY guys who aren't selling anything...

Pete

no dismissal

It wasn't meant as a dismissal. If you want to have a show in Austin, then fantastic. It could be coordinated with one of the other big events that are already scheduled, if you could find hotel rooms. It will be hard finding affordable rooms anywhere near Austin the weekend of SXSW, but if you buy them now, maybe you can pull it off. I'm sure there are people in Austin able to put it together and market it.

What I wanted to do is improve what is already here. I have the time and connections to do that, but not something several hundred miles away.

This could be taken poorly by people who want to or are trying to improve the situation. I know I did. Take it poorly. I am hoping people who attended and people who have shown at LSAF can weigh in without worrying that their comments/suggestions/ideas have already been dismissed.
I really hope more people join the conversation and I really want to know what they feel can be done.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan,

How much did that cost? Anything like that has to be passed on to someone. I want this to be done more like a '60s commune than a typical high-end audio affair. With announcement boards, blogs, user groups, public radio and tv, and word of mouth, I think it can be done for almost nothing. On the other hand, if we attract hotshots that want to cover the show (reviewers/reporters) or show something really cool, their talent could be appropriated for nearly nothing.

Thanks,
Phillip

Didn't cost anything. Find a guy in your area and they'd be happy to spread the gospel!
We had industry types arriving with a carload of freebees even!

Perhaps Wayne will chime in here. I think that Dallas/Ft. Worth should be more than able to host some sort of audio event that's unique. Personally, if that is going to be DIY audio like a HAM event, then okay it should be branded as that. If it is really an event for dealers or manufacturers-for-profit, then we all know what that entails.

Personally, I think that there is a lot to offer in the "frugal audiophile" category, i.e., better engineered stuff that costs a lot less overall - which is going to tick off the audiophile cable/cable-elevator/magic rocks crowd. I'm an engineer by trade and by upbringing, and there are a lot of engineers in the D/FW area that might be interested in less BS/more performance.

Additionally, there seems to be sustainment/mild growth in the...well how shall I put it? Vinyl crowd. Among younger folks. To me, this is pure nostalgia, IMHO, but I can't argue that there are increased sales in this niche marketplace.

With the advent of counter-loudness-war "soundcheck" or "replaygain" for new audio playback devices and by design, new recordings, this marketplace may expand due to increased enjoyment in dynamic, natural recordings again. A few old analog recordings are dynamic - and these can be had on vinyl or SACD or other HD formats. There's a demographic that's barely being addressed by RMAF or even SXSW. And this crowd looks more like DIY. High efficiency types may come out of the woodwork if an audio show, perhaps even DIY focused, shows up. Perhaps a one-year event to see what interest is out there...? Full range dynamic (cone type) and horn-loaded aficionados could sit side-by-side with hobbyist commercial sound guys.

Just ideas to feed the grist mill. It helps to have a new vision...sometimes...

Last edited:
Again, I think Austin is a fantastic city and is perfect for an audio event. It's one of the best musician-friendly cities in this part of the country and is just a blast to hang out in. And South-by-Southwest has really taken off there.

That said, it's just too far south to be as inclusive as we want LSAF to be. Dallas is just four hours north, so folks from Austin have no trouble at all getting to Dallas. That can't be said for people in Oklahoma, Missouri and Arkansas. People from these states drive four to eight hours getting to Dallas already, and going to Austin doubles that. So I think it's a really bad idea to push it further south.

About DIYers attendence compared with small niche-market manufacturers, it has been my experience that DIYers motivated enough to show their gear in these kinds of shows often become niche-market manufacturers. Most (if not all) of the tube amplifier and many of the high-end speaker manufacturers started off this way. That's really what LSAF was for - To give the passionate craftsmen and small manufacturers a place to show their wares.

Of course, all are welcome. There is no rule that sets the size of the manufacturer, or even that they exhibitor has to be a manufacturer. That's why some years you see a lot of DIYers and some years more manufacturers. It ebbs and flows, changing a little bit each year.

I went to the original show back in Tulsa because it was a chance to hear equipment from small companies like Pi Speakers and Brines Acoustics. Small niche companies that produce very fine gear but that aren't available for audition in retail shops.

It has also been a place to hear things you won't find in main stream dealers or audio shows. Single ended amps, coax speakers, single driver speakers, horns, array speakers, etc. This stuff is very hard to find in the real world unless you just order something and pray you'll like it.

What I found while attending was a whole group of similar thinking audio folks who love well reproduced music but like "odd" technologies and aren't necessarily after the uber fancy case treatments and the automobile sized price tags. The Lone Star Show has some expensive gear but there will also be rooms that have some of the most amazing stuff that most of us can actually afford.

I'll even call it an "out of the box" kind of audio show because it was the first place I ever got to hear open baffle speakers.

Again, stuff you'd never hear at the local audio salon. It is a great show.

Hi, Steven from Stereo Clarity checking in. Thanks for the email Uriah!

Foot traffic was DEFINITELY light this year. Matt and I both noticed that. We were on the ground floor for the first time so I'm not sure what it was like up on floors 2 and 3 but it sounds like others noticed a similar pattern.

Last year I really busted my butt to help get the ball rolling early and I think it helped. Last year I sent monthly news letters, called around for some advertising funds, made contact cards, and pulled in a few people to donate stuff for the raffle. I'm sorry to say that THIS year I was so wrapped up in finishing the line arrays that I had no time to do any of this. Thus, I feel personally responsible for the lack of attendance since the precedence I set last year led everyone to believe I would do this same this year. Believe me, I had full intentions to do so but I simply didn't have the time. For those of you not aware, I quite literally finished the line array speakers in the hotel room Friday morning. I'd not heard them prior to that point. Not joking. That's how strapped for time I was...

But all excuses aside, I have a few ideas I think can really help for next year and all future years...

Facebook and Social Media
For those of you not aware, there is a Lone Star Audio Fest Facebook group. It's located at the following link. Go join it and invite every single one of your audio friends to join it. The more people in this group the better.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LoneStarAudioFest/

Facebook is easily the most important tool we have to get people to these shows. I help admin a large car meet called Texas Imports Today and we exclusively use Facebook for pushing all events. We get thousands of people to attend so trust me it works.

What we need to do is get everyone on the Facebook group and get them talking. Facebook works via an algorithm that places topics of interest into the users news feed. The most chatter we get going in the Facebook group the more stuff will hit their news feed. The constant placement of conversations and topics in their news feed will remind them that the show is coming up. I think it would be ideal for exhibitors to post new builds, products, and pictures in the group. This will get people excited as the show approaches. I want to stress the idea that this must take place year round. As time goes on people in the group (who may never have met in real life) will socialize and become friends. They'll look forward to meeting at the show.

The Website
People go to the website for information but the website is 100% static (I say this like mine isn't lol). Meaning, it never changes. The website needs to be transformed into a place where people can find useful information and get excited about what will be there. Remember, a website is an organization's digital face to the world and right now ours isn't one that's pretty or exciting.

I know that for 335 days out of the year the website stays the same and then every single exhibitor bombards Wayne with all their logos they want updated. This isn't fair to Wayne. There is no way he can cope with that type of influx as he's trying to prepare for the show himself. Matt and I will offer to build/manage the website. We're both fairly familiar with Wordpress as we've build numerous sites in the past.

Registration
There needs to be a type of formal registration form on the website and there must be a fee associated with it. It doesn't need to cost an arm and a leg. My thought is $25 is required to sign up as an exhibitor. This money will go toward the printing of fliers, schedules, room list, and other marketing and miscellaneous stuff needed to organize the show. I printed out a ton of stuff last year funded only by myself and Dennis from D-Sonic. We also need attendees to register as well though their entry will remain free.

My thought here is that through registration we start building out a very nice contact list. Additionally, the registration list will give us a way to create an exhibitor list with associated rooms. That way we can print that out so attendees know who is in the show upon arrival. Formal registration will require a full name, email address, and phone number. The fact that we aren't getting information from everyone that attends the show is purely absurd. This needs to change and I'm thinking this is the best way to do it. Once we have a contact list we can send out news letters to keep reminding them about the show. We can also use the email addresses to invite people to the Facebook group. ;)

The idea of registration will be tough to enforce but I have an idea for that too. We get the Embassy Suites to simply not offer the LSAF negotiated rate to anyone that hasn't registered with us. As time goes on we can create a registration list and send Dede or Ana an updated copy. If you're not on the list we'll tell them to send the person the registration link....easy solution.

Show Presence
I say it every year and I'm going to say it again. If you didn't know there was an audio show going on at the hotel you could literally walk in and not know it was happening. This needs to be a big to-do with signs and print outs. I know last year we got a slap on the wrist for banners outside the rooms. It seems this year that has been rectified as I didn't hear a peep out of the embassy staff.

Organized Communication
I like Uriah's idea of having a Lone Star Ambassadors group. I can make all of this group administrators of the Facebook group. Basically, just a group of people committed to taking on a larger share of making sure **** gets done. Even if those people mostly delegate to others we just need a way to make sure we are all on the same page. This year Bruce, Scott and I were sort of all working independently on the same tasks. It was only till Scott and I talked that we realized our efforts were duplicated. This type of effort isn't fruitful and we need to be more organized.

PS: I tried to get Dave from Forever Young Records off 360 to come last year and set up a "vinyl room" for selling his records. He has thousands of Japanese pressings and other nice stuff. He literally has an entire room of just high quality recordings. To be quite honest I think he thought I was just some punk kid and he didn't take me seriously. I think one of the more senior Lone Star Ambassadors needs to contact him or someone else like him.

LSAF

This is Scott Sheaffer from Found Music. Firstly, thanks to Uriah for bringing this up to us and everyone for contributing.
Clearly we care, we want and need a local show. I am with Wayne in that I think Dallas is a great venue and prefer it stay there. I also think it is important that it be low cost. This said, I will attend and contribute regardless of attendance.
The threat of the show dying is a wake up call to all of us to take some ownership. We previously failed to prepare, promote, and provide content for attendees. I thought offering some scheduled technical talks a la the larger shows would offer more content for attendees and provide some forum for f2f discussions. In my case, it did and this might be one area where I can make an effort. Speaking for myself, shows are always valuable to me as a manufacturer in what I learn from others in the industry.
I realize I am making an awful long post here, almost done...
As a group we are all responsible for the success of the show. It is not entirely fair or realistic to expect Wayne or a small group to handle everything. It is just too much and, sadly, the result is what we saw last weekend. We have to change how we do this in a way that is sustainable. I think we should look closely at volunteering our time individually on focused tasks that are important to the health of the show. Bite sized, clearly defined, doable. Less confusion.
I would like to see more content, I will volunteer to provide it. I would like to volunteer to handle bringing together presenters from varying parts of the industry to do some talks for us next year. What do you think?

I realize I am making an awful long post here, almost done...

Then mine was outright offensive lol!

I spoke with Matt earlier and he stated that while he's laid up with his shoulder injury and can't work in the cabinet shop he'd be happy to help update the website if you're ok with that Wayne.

And to comment on the topic of location, I'm local to Dallas thus my opinion that it stay here is biased. However, for the individuals who FLY in for the show Dallas is hard to beat. You can fly direct to DFW or Love Field from almost anywhere. Can't say the same for most other cities in Texas. :(

Hello All, Raven Dave (Dave Thomson of Raven Audio) Here...

After reading all of the comments and finally remembering how things went over the last four days, I have to say that the thought of life without the Dallas, Texas Lone Star Audio Fest is a much sadder prospect than with it. My company started in late 2010 from nothing but a whimper and a dream, and had it's first public debut there in in 2011 and so that probably makes me a late-comer.

But it would be such a sad affair if it died off. I heard the potential death throes echoing throughout the walls of the Embassy Suites this weekend and listened to the (unfortunately) almost constant comments of almost everyone I encountered. So starting on Friday it was radically apparent that either something had to be done, and with some aggression, or this is possibly the end of my favorite BY FAR~! audio event.

Though my company is growing steadily and we are pressed to attend all of the big boy audio shows nationwide and further, in order to achieve a decent level of national high end audio press that our company requires to survive, I would I have to admit, losing my annual heart-anchor that is the Lone Star Audio Fest would be a terrible event to me personally. I would literally hate that.

The thought of life without it, and it's Dallas location (with some of the most helpful over the top friendly staff, the Embassy Suites is an older hotel but could not be a more perfect location knowing that Dallas is growing at a much faster average rate when compared nationwide to any other city that has the proper infrastructure to make it a comfortable experience) would be a great loss to the local audio community, both professional and DIY.

Lugging a trailer full of high priced audio gear, parking it and worrying about what might happen in the parking lot of one of the other cities, even Austin, is not a thought I might enjoy UNLESS it was during the wonderful Austin Fall far away from the SXSW, and 180 degrees date-wise from my dear LSAF.

I take personal responsibility for not doing my part to help populate the event this year like I did in the past two years prior. My efforts probably only brought 10-15 people this year while during the previous two I think I helped bring in over 50+ including extended family. Our event is small enough to miss that small number of additional people, while RMAF would not even feel an additional 200!

Foot traffic is the number one thing that this even should strive for next year. I will give someone in charge, anyone that will agree to help, a decent donation to help with advertising. And as someone already said - even Stereophile, Positive Feedback, Absolute Sound, Home Theater Shack (love those guys!), Part Time Audiophile, Stereo Mojo, Tone Audio, Secrets of Home Theater & HiFi, Home Theater Review, High End Audio Review and so many other of the publications we read when we have enough time, will help us if we just call them up or send an email to ask. All we HAVE to do is simply ask them for help. They WILL help us even if we do not run an expensive advertisement.

But I will help donate for an ad in the top three if you need me to. And the show people, those that could for the association for the LSAF itself should place the ad. Not me or some other product line. Because let's all just agree that we can so easily be accused of self promotion by doing it ourselves, and I do not want to go through that again.

If anyone wants to contact me (dave@), or on Facebook to help, please do so. I will be more than glad to try to help resurrect this situation.

I really missed those that I see nowhere else, like Dave Schlegle, the Blackman Brewery Guys (!!!!!), Danny, Bob, Legacy, Polk, Scotty, and at least two dozen others that have recently disappeared. And let's admit it.... where else can you EVER see a room full of stuff as absolutely Cool (or hot for that matter) as "Blow Torch Audio"~!!!

It would be a terrible thing if this show was not in our lives. And there is a simple solution.... GET MORE ACTIVE NEXT TIME. Me included!

Last edited by a moderator:
DIY guy volunteering here. I feel like I've done a lot to help promote LSAF, but I can always do more. I have made the show 6 times now, up from Houston with full systems, and made a strong effort to bring gear from the smaller mfrs who don't have a big distribution channel, or budget products that others might have interest in. Transcendent OTL amp Red Wine amp Aspen Amps - Naksa Eddie Vaughn Carissa amp Hawthorne OB speakers HornShoppe passive preamp Audio Mirror preamp Dave's Cables Pi Uberbuss (although most at this show have heard of that one) TPA3116 amp etc, etc. I want this show to grow and succeed - feels like we need a direction and maybe that direction needs to squeeze out the DIY guys. It's a hobby and a passion for us, but it is not our livelihood.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
As a newbie at the LSAF this year, I thought the show was fantastic! As I shared with many of you at the show, I found the LSAF on diyAudio last year, two days after the event ended. I waited an entire year to attend the 2014 show, and never having attended an LSAF show before, I was not at all disappointed. Where else can you wonder room to room with a fist full of CDs comparing your reference songs on horns, open box designs, full range t-lines, solid state amps, tubes, and every combination you've read and dreamed about.

I thought the format of the show was excellent, as was the venue. I loved the laid back feel of the event. I was free to explore, to ask questions, to state opinions. I met and exchanged email addresses with like minded audio geeks. I posted my pictures on the Facebook group and my friends and family "liked" them. A few friends have said they wished I had invited them along - maybe next year. I can't wait to go back next year. In fact, I'm going get a room so you can all hear the Quarter Wave PVC Pipes and LM3875 chip amp I built. Of course after listening and learning this year, I will have to go back to the drawing board to perfect my design before the 2015 show...

I failed you guys and gals. Polk wasn't there because I am no longer with Polk. I stayed busy working and tweaking my own design, and put no effort into promoting as I did in the past. We were missing a few heavy hitters. Pi, GR, Dodd, etc. That did hurt but shouldn't have stopped us. There are a lot of good ideas and thoughts here - and I think collectively we can be bigger and better than ever next year. This thread speaks volumes and I'm proud to be a part of this with you all.

Whatever we do, I think the focus needs to stay grass roots, be it mainstream audio, diy, and everything in between. No one should be making money off LSAF, just from the results, if that makes sense. I think we can keep it pure but also be hardcore.

Cheers,
Russ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.