11th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2014

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am hoping someone took some pics of the stuff 'down under' because we got to listen to some good stuff. There was a three way that was part way through metamorphosis, ie: one cabinet good, one cabinet bad that sounded pretty good, there was the old stand-by with the 12" FR and a Heil AMT top end in an Onken style cabinet, Ryan had a 2.5 way modular system econowave type unit with the built in waveguide that looked and sounded right proper. (Ryan, stop pointing out the minor flaws, they were fine). There was also a great little 2 way 4" Hi-Vi that although it won't scare the neighbours sounded as good as a desk top unit ever needs to.

Some of the discriminating listeners 'down under' where things sometimes go just a wee off the rail. Mind you, of all the naked men that show up, we seem to have only one in this pic. We also have someone whose missing his aluminum hat as noted by the look of dismay.

Attachments

• IMG_3062.jpg
    IMG_3062.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 230
Some of the discriminating listeners 'down under' where things sometimes go just a wee off the rail.

That's a great photo Cal. Can we put all the first names on it. There are so many of those that attended in the pic that it would help to remember everyone. I remember more of the names after meeting a second time this year, but who knows where my memory will be next year.

thanks

No pictures here either, but hope someone got them.

There was a three way that was part way through metamorphosis, ie: one cabinet good, one cabinet bad that sounded pretty good.

I believe you are talking about Howard's work in progress. He was busy wiring and assembling the 2nd half of the speaker pair on Friday. When the tweaks are all made, and he makes a matching pair of cabinets, they should sound very good.

There was the old stand-by with the 12" FR and a Heil AMT top end in an Onken style cabinet.

I think that might have been Daniel's system. Fairly efficient combination, with good spl.

Ryan had a 2.5 way modular system econowave type unit with the built in waveguide that looked and sounded right proper. (Ryan, stop pointing out the minor flaws, they were fine).

Sorry Ryan, I think I missed them while on the back deck. :(
Hope to catch up with them another time. :)

There was also a great little 2 way 4" Hi-Vi that although it won't scare the neighbours sounded as good as a desk top unit ever needs to.

Were those some "overnight sensations"?

That's a great photo Cal. Can we put all the first names on it.

You know John, you're asking the guy who emptied the cooler of beer before attacking the 40 pounder of rum. My best guess is, I will get all but two. Please forgive my inattentiveness (is that a word?)

Far left is a nice gentleman but the name escapes me. His shirt is rivalled only by Scott and me.

The gentleman who is wondering where the aluminum hat got to also escapes me.
So...
the front row is you on the couch and the the dude who looks like Will Riker standing up. We call him the movie star but his name is Ryan (tuxedocivic)
Back row is my brother from another mother Scott (SCD), Bernie (can't remember his handle right now), DUG (from a land far away) in the back getting intimate with a plastic bag and Kyle watching him very closely.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There was the old stand-by with the 12" FR and a Heil AMT top end in an Onken style cabinet.

I think that might have been Daniel's system. Fairly efficient combination, with good spl.

Em-Ken proto-types (Eminence 12LTA). Initially vented to low, hence the new vent termination on the sides. Daniel has been breaking them in (an extra 1000 hrs sure helped). His Heils (via Jesse and Chris). Still work to go on those. I will endeavor to get some of that done before next year's event.

dave

Another good visit to Vancouver Island diy Audio Fest!

Dave and Ruth make everyone feel so at home, couldn't ask for more in that department.

Good food and everyone pitching in makes for an enjoyable time.

Always good to see old acquaintances, share stories, and maybe 2 or 3 laughs. (thanks Cal!)

Of course, the diy audio projects are getting better every year. The innovations and refinements produce more interest and better sound than the previous year. I am still in awe of the enclosures and cabinets that house the full-range single drivers. Not only are they beautiful to look at, but the low frequency extension is unbelievable.

Good time, as always. Look forward to next time. :D

Many thanks to Ruth & Dave for hosting this always excellent event. It keeps getting better and better. We're all fortunate they do.
Also, thanks to Chris and the other behind the scene folks who work hard to make this thing happen.
The atmosphere is always fun, and with so many knowledgeable people and great equipment there, it's not to be missed.
DaveR brought a couple pairs of speakers, including a little 2 way that sounded extremely fine, paired with his tube amp.
Jesse's chip amp mentioned elsewhere,really brought those Alpair 10.3's alive.
John's breadboard amp made music with everything hooked up to it.
A stand-out pour moi, were Chris's frugel's with the Alpair MAOP drivers.
As fine a SD speaker as I've heard.
Glad our American friends were able to make it, (proof positive Canadian Immigration is a waste of time !)
At one point, it felt like maybe fracking, or a minor earthquake was happening, but it turned out to be Cal's monsters feeling their oats. Well done Cal !
Till next year, thank you all---

most of the credit for that system should go to Mark Fenlon for the drivers -
any idiot (c'est moi, n'est-ce pas, mes amis?) can put a stunningly good driver like this in a well suited box and get these kind of results - having the right program material, an amp like nerdorama's little breadboard concoction, and an excellent venue blessed with good company and a contented full belly - well that's fracking priceless

and getting to take them home - well I must be a lucky son of a bitch after all:D

I had a good time meeting everyone...not that I can remember very many names, just faces.

I really wanted to hear full range and I did and I agree they sound great.

Thanks to Ruth and Dave for hosting...I did not go for lack of food or drink.

My regret is not taking enough pictures...maybe next year.

I enjoyed listening to different viewpoints...learned a few pointers that I will use for things on my projects-to-do.

Thanks again to all.

DUG

Best Amp: John's 6b4 PP
Best new driver: Chris's MAOP7 (the little white ceramic one in the horn)
Best Buddy: Cal
Biggest sound: Cal's "small" out door set up
Coolest moment: Daniel decided @ 10:30 Saturday night to make an amp from the junk pile and in two hours it sounded pretty good.

Prettiest speaker: It's a toss up but I'm going for that gorgeous wood coned unit in the Onken style box designed by Dave and built by Chris. I might be biased though. ;)

Best speaker pound for pound: Cornucopya - hands down

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 228
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.