Simon Fraser Audio, Acoustics, and Signal Processing Festival (Burnaby, BC, Canada)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure how many diyAudio people made it out. I know only a handful of people from this site in person (since I'm fairly new here myself and a bit of a lurker/newb) and those few were unable to make it (flu, no ride, family emergencies, etc...).

The list of companies that had a booth include:
- Primacoustic / Radial Engineering
- Advanced Audio Microphones
- Sonic Farm
- Hairball Audio
- IEEE Signal Processing Chapter
- Space-Tech Laboratory
and three (or was it four) SFU graduate students who presented research posters.

This filled one of the two halves of the building's atrium for the middle of the day so quite a few casual students and professors came by to see what was going on and learn.

The afternoon lecture series included a talk from: Tim Bartoo on how to authentically reinforce theatre sounds while maintaining localization with the Haas effect and geometry; Dave Thomas on headroom and linearity in tube microphone circuitry design; and Rodney Vaughan (last minute due to a cancellation) on active noise cancellation research over a wide area across a wide spectrum. This had roughly 50 people which dwindled down to ~30 as the day wound down.

The listening room was slashed down to an hour at the end of the day because of a lack of DIY speakers brought and a lack of volunteers to help man the room throughout the day. But other speakers were listened to in the atrium (Space-Tech Labs brought their own pair) and some interested people stuck around to listen to what was brought. A couple people actually enquired about the listening room but were unable to stick around or come back and see it later. This is obviously something we'll work on improving next year with a more structured schedule and heavier focus from the organizing committee. Possibly with a design competition of some sort - any ideas are encouraged.

A few platters of sandwiches were served along with timbits and coffee throughout the day. We saw a rise in attendance as soon as the sandwiches appeared - we noted this and plan on (at least) doubling the food levels for next year.

A number of companies mentioned that they would have loved to attend but there were other shows happening at the same time or close to (NAMM was the primary one), so next year exact date will work around other shows schedules a bit more - probably moving the show into early Feb. I know that QNX Software showed up to see what the event was like, but were unable to formally present anything because they were prepping for NAMM and expressed that they'd love to be involved next year.

Everyone was wiped by the time the day was done so no social event took place afterwards. I really would like to fix that for next year.

Other questions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.