DIY Ottawa winter 2013

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
March 15/16, 2014 is still the preferred date (c/r post # 256, etc.).

However, I would like to add a further suggestion/guideline for Pierre: If we have to go with a later date/weekend due to hall availability, we should probably try to avoid the March 29-30 weekend. I see that the 2014 Montreal hifi show - Salon Son & Image - takes place on March 28-30, and we should probably try to avoid conflicting with that (since some current and some potential Ottawa participants may be planning to take in the Montreal show).

- Ron

Sorry couldn't make it Saturday, conflict with bball game (coaching)

March 15th is the back end of the March break and I expect to be down south with the family so wouldn't be able to attend. There may be conflicts for interested others with kids as well, but I wouldn't ask for a change just for my schedule.

Dave

I came across this ebay seller. He is in Rigaud, Quebec. Some of the Sanken modules are inexpensive. Not OPC quality or performance, but if your are low on cash and want to try something

linear2001 | eBay

the link doesn't work. give me a minute

try this,

the ebay seller is linear2001

in ebay do a search for, LM3915 20 LED DOT mode audio level meter Stereo 2 Kits, then go to his store.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Friends

The good news first : the Lodge is reserved for us on 15 and 16 March.

Now, the not so good news. Illness in my family will prevent my spending much time there. I might be able to drop by for some time. But I can make no promises.

I have offered Mark to oversee the event, and he is looking into his own availability. Mark is fairly busy these days.

Whatever the group and Mark agree to, I will be happy to accommodate. No deposit has been made yet, so nothing is cast in stone one way or another. It is your choice really.

Regards, from the Lodge rental guy,
Pierre

Ottawa march 15-16th ...

Hi Mark et al.
Met you folks last year around this time with my equally non audio-savy friend Stuart. It was a hoot and the confidence/pride you had in your builds inspired me to gentle venture down the treacherous DIY path. Current is the tried and tested the latest bi-amped Eminence Visaton OB speaker. I think Dave was the main culprit if memory serves me correct that shared so much about speaker craft.

The was a recent post on CAM for DIY get togethers in Ontario. Do you mind if I post this link to their thread.

I will try to be there be there for one of two of the days (and will also put the arm on my friend)

Now this is the presumptuous part .. If you are casting about for agenda topics. I was wondering if there was expertise or interest in running a minidsp/room eq wizard workshop as part of the weekend.

Looking forward to the weekend.
Dave

“Roll-call” for our upcoming March 15/16 DIY weekend
As per recent e-mails, it’s been pretty well confirmed that our Ottawa DIY get-together will take place on the March 15/16, 2014 weekend (and once again, at the General Burns Community Centre). However, the lack of “buzz” on the thread concerns me a bit… hall rental is reasonable, but we want to have reasonable # of attendees (paying a small fee) in order to proceed.
Therefore, it would be great if the usual suspects could make a quick update post that they will likely attend, or likely not attend. If you plan to attend & want to leave a teaser about something you are bringing, that would be even better. If we could get something like 8+ people confirming – within the next few days - that they plan to attend, I would be comfortable enough to give “newtoaudio” the “go-ahead” to post our meeting on Canuck Audio Mart (c/r post #276). Needless to say, we have to finalize some details before posting to Canuck.
From recent e-mails/contact, “attendees” are mwmkravchenko (Mark), Multisync (John), redshift 187 (Tyler) and myself (Ron) + I expect one of my sons will drop in 1 day. I haven’t built anything, so I’ll probably just bring a little non-DIY system & maybe some headphones, so that we’ll have a system available. Mark has teased us that he has some speakers done for this time around – for those who don’t know, he is a speaker guy who has shown us some interesting builds (check out other posts). As per #274, Pierre may make an appearance.
Back in November, when we first gathered to talk about a March meeting, Bearberry and Owen seemed to be on-board, but they haven’t chimed in yet. Back in December #263, DDF (Dave) thought that he would not be attending, since this weekend is at the end of March break, and he expected to have alternate plans; any others? Wolfgang is not attending, since he is working for that entire weekend.
Discussion topics? John made an interesting request in #276, but as mentioned above, Dave is not expected to attend, so I’m guessing that we would most likely turn to Owen &/or Mark for that. Any offers or alternatives?
Anyway… that’s lots to cover in one post. Look forward to seeing new posts, soon.
- Ron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.