Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Well the weather kept the attendance to about 20, but we had a nice time meeting and listening to preamps, tube, fet, and digital power amps.

For those who didn’t attend the winner of the door prize ( a 2019 ZR1 Corvette) was Bart . He chose black for the color.

As a make up event maybe a Diy BBQ Saturday June 16th, ( hopefully no ice storm).
Or wait until the fall - comments please

Things we learnt. One of the last demos was a 15 watt tube amp which drove the on site speakers louder than you might imagine.
Some would like classical and/or jazz for demo material . You ‘ll need to bring that as I have none.
Chairs would be welcome. I don’t know how the coffee machine works - got to set the clock Was discovered by the attendees who looked up the manual for it on line. Any other attendees can comment on what we can do better on next time.

I hope to have a balanced dac by then and possibly a passive balanced preamp.

Diy BBQ Saturday June 16th, ( hopefully no ice storm)

Things we learnt. One of the last demos was a 15 watt tube amp which drove the on site speakers louder than you might imagine
On my calendar already.

Even as a no-show myself, I'd think we all owe Dave a big thank-you.

15-watts: Paul Klipsch used to say he only wanted 5 clean watts, assuming domestic use. Even adjusting for lesser efficient speakers, you'd rarely need 100 watts.*

Thanks.
Ben
*ESLs sometimes appear to draw big watts but it is only because they are an odd load; in reality, they are really ecologically sound

Last edited:
Sorry I was a no show, still snowed in here, neighbour had to get their drive plowed out today. Town managed to rig up the plows again today :) To heavy to shovel the stuff. Out of bananas, got to go to town tomorrow, it will have to be the truck as cars are getting stuck in their drives.
Hopefully I'll get to meet the gang at the next bbq, with a crap spring, might actual get another project done to show.
Thx for hosting Dave and for posting the pics.
Rick

A couple of members have parts or test equipment they ‘d like to bring as a swap meet or donation or raffle so first come first served. Sunday June 10th..

Now that's a swell idea, even better than a BBQ, if such a thought were possible.

But here's a suggestion: an "auction" of the sort where guests can bid on each item by entering their highest offer on a piece of paper next to the item (dunno what's that called). For items meant as free or donations, the proceeds could go to a designated single charity like the Tinnitus Institute (kidding) or the Red Cross or 10% of all proceeds could simply go to the Canadian Hearing Society (one of my charities, good people).

That way, nobody needs to risk their life rushing to be the first in the door, like at Sam the Record Man on Boxing Day.... formerly.

Ben