Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

want me to bring my f5?

who is bringing speakers?

Merlin,

As Jpechloe pointed out, one of Amcan's buddy is going to bring his F5. However, if it is not too much hassle (or too heavy), wouldyou bring yours too? Would be interesting to comapare different layouts/configurations that people adopted to build the amp.

Regarding speakers, sounds like Amcan will pair up his Braun with Jpechloe's KT88 SE amp. He also mentioned earlier that has has a pair of PSB in the house that can be used too.

May be Amcan can clarify whether another pair of speakers is needed. No point for DUG to bring his pair all the way when there are enough gears. Not that I do not like DUG's speakers.

Regards,

Stuff I have

Hey guys I am getting ramped up for this event.

I have 3 pairs of speakers so no need to bring any speakers. The Braun L-910's are very revealing and have a very wide sound stage. I also did a recap on them. Canuck Audio Mart • View topic - German Braun L-910 Upgrades They are rare and special speakers with a midrange that will surprise you. I also have the PSBs Imagine Ts for the second room (Stereophile Class B). The Braun's are better though. The third set are the Imagine Bs.

I do have a highly upgraded HK19 power amp. Everything but the transistors. Although I have replaced the first order pair of JFets. Harman Kardon Citation 19 Recap - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
I have added more Shinkohs to the amp since I have updated this forum and bypass caps to the power supply.

My friend's F5 (Dazed) is built to the max with OCC copper wire, Vishay Nude & Caddock signal resistors, a 250K power bank, Fukishima Output resistors, and Toshiba Mosfets. Of course a comparison would tell us if all those expensive parts are worth it.

What I would like to do is a blind review of the preamps. The order will be randomized. The Since I am hosting the one concession that I would like to impose is that we use my HK19 for the shoot-out. I could do up some scoring sheets if everyone is game for scoring the preamps. Then with whatever is chosen as the top preamp (highest average total of rankings) we can use that preamp to rotate the amps through and pick the best amp. Although most everyone will feel like their amp needs warm up time so a shoot out won't be easy unless we have all the amps plugged in and ready to go. Whether we do a blind comparison or not of the amps we can rotate all the amps through with the best overall preamp.

Hey guys I am getting ramped up for this event.

What I would like to do is a blind review of the preamps. The order will be randomized. The Since I am hosting the one concession that I would like to impose is that we use my HK19 for the shoot-out. I could do up some scoring sheets if everyone is game for scoring the preamps. Then with whatever is chosen as the top preamp (highest average total of rankings) we can use that preamp to rotate the amps through and pick the best amp. Although most everyone will feel like their amp needs warm up time so a shoot out won't be easy unless we have all the amps plugged in and ready to go. Whether we do a blind comparison or not of the amps we can rotate all the amps through with the best overall preamp.

This sounds like a great plan. I love it. I have read your HK upgrade thread. Look forward to hearing it, and if we get to the F5 and SET.. wow, what a great experience.
Walter

Lo_Tse. Private email me and I can mail you 330 pf polystyrene caps free of charge. Unless it's an RF ca then Polystyrene is better for audio. I don't know if I can make the get togethe this time, but you can have the caps now if you want them.

Hi, Ticknpop

Thanks! That was long time ago, jktam gave me two during the very first swap meet already. Nonetheless, Your generosity is much appreciated!

No problem, join us next time!

Regards,

I'd like to start a discussion on format for the shoot out that way we won't have to waste our time doing it on Saturday. For instance;
Do we want to use vinyl or DAC?
Do we want to have a warm up period for the preamp or just run them one after another changing as quickly as possible.
Do we want to run them in a row or winner of V1 Vs. V2 against V3, etc
Do we want to use just one song or maybe a spectrum of 2 or 3 songs?
What songs/music should we use?
What kind of grading system do we want to use? Do we just want a ranking system and then average the results of the various rankings .. or do we want to have a score card for each preamp with subcategories like; detail, warmth, frequency extension, openness/transparency, musicality, etc?

Anything else to consider?

OK, folks, our date is drawing near. So far I have the following names that had expressed interest to come to the meet this Sunday:

Wlowes, Jaimo, Ikoflexer, Merlin2069er, Jpechloe, DUG, BigE and Lo-Tse. Hope I did not miss anyone. I will PM the details of the meet tomorrow.

Dazed2, I assume that you are one of Amcan's friend and know how to get to his place.

Regards,

Lo-Tse