Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Faizal,
Thanks. I don't know much about this stuff yet. I understand the basics. From what you are saying, on wired connections it should be solid.

Everything I have is connected via ethernet. Much, much more reliable and it sounds better too. I did have WiFi problems in general that I solved later.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ben,
Yes, that's what I eventually did. However since I pre-wired the house for network, it was easy to simply plug them in. Now, zero issues, especially when I replaced my Bell router (don't ask).

I also solved a bunch of issues with my GF's place, and have a couple more I'm dealing with the same way. They are less from AliExpress by the way. You just have to wait 20 days approx. I can do that, and the savings can be substantial. You have to watch the pricing on Amazon. There are times they are right out to lunch on exactly the same, identical product and model.

I do need to, and would like to learn more about possibilities in audio streaming. But information is sometimes scattered and unclear on the internet and I am short on time to play around.

-Chris

On my radar, I still possess my first set of serious speakers from the early 80s...a set of B&W 802F. I am itching to return to it but with a twist. I see that MiniDSP Flex eight that provides 8 channels of DSP. So I am itching to convert my old B&Ws to an active system. I have most of the components and the amps to pull this off. I just need to reassemble the amps and purchase a Flex8, I also have the umik 1 and also itching to try Dirac. Darn what is holding me back is the Flex 8 will not accommodate my turntable setup. In reality one day within 5 years I will have to say goodbye to my records and vinyl system. Foot print is too large and to my ears good digital has it all over my old records.

On another note, I have been playing around with my DIY sub and after three or four years finally got them dialed in. With the MiniDSP I can make adjustments with various slopes and cutoffs and filter types on the fly. Sub integration is not easy and it takes a lot of effort and LUCK. Some significant changes can be heard with a difference of 1 Hz cutoff on the DSP!!!! Beyond the 1 Hz, it changes again. This is convincing me that things like Dirac might have something going as the phase and frequency is critical at any location and without an analysis of phase and frequency it depends on luck. YES the response of REW hardly wavered with a difference on 1 Hz but it sounded completely different. So frequency response by itself is inadequate. Dirac is correct in what they claim.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Atom666,
Thanks, I'll read a little. I have a small Intel based computer that was running Fedora server. I'll convert that to whatever I need to control music around here. Static ip addresses, and it's already plugged in. I only need to load whatever software I decide on. It has an SSD for the system, and a large HD for user files. I also have a NAS with static ip, 12 TB in a RAID.

Trying to sort this stuff out with scattered information is simply - tiring. That and Spotify is having connectivity issues coupled with what I think is overutilization of resources. They simply haven't got the juice to run their business.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Rick,
I was on Bell Sat, it worked well (except in rain, etc ...). Now I'm on Bell Fibe, 1.5 GB, it's much better. However I want to play the same music on all three floors, away from the systems on Bell.

I have a Blusound Node 2i - sounds great when it works. I tried bluetooth, it kills your cell phone battery quickly with limited range and lot's of errors. Connected via WiFi, but Bell's WiFi in their modems didn't work well here (using Bell repeaters). So I connected wired (Ethernet) and all connectivity issues evaporated - as expected. Later I improved WiFi using range extenders (from China), solving WiFi issues.

I can do this painlessly, all I have to do is spend another $1,400 for an additional pair of Blusound Node 2i streamers. Ahhh, nope! I tried some cheap streamers that plug in and they work, but sound like crap (compared to all other sources except the Blusound Node 2i). So, what to do? What I have learned is that if you're lucky, you can buy the same make streamers and they may possibly be configured to all play the same stream. But the service (Spotify) has to connect to the brand's network, and that sends your stream to your device. Plenty of failure points and I think I have found all of them. Error messages make you think its your problem (nope, network connectivity failure anywhere in the chain).

Probably the most reliable way to do this is have the music service connect directly to your server / controller. Then broadcast locally to your devices. Then you could probably mix brands. That would be my ultimate goal.

What I have done is ordered some cheap streamers I found on AliExpress that have digital outputs. I'll connect them to various DACs and hopefully get good sound in every location. I can also connect to my computer and mix the audio with system sounds to alert me to things I need to pay attention to. However I think I would love to find something running on a machine here where I can keep the data path as simple as possible. That would make every music service far more reliable. I could also then mix streamer brands. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Faisal,
Thanks. I bought three of: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.11.4c371802CUi1JP . Which I'll drive some DACs I already have, but this one looked interesting : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...o.order_list.order_list_main.5.4c371802CUi1JP . I can drive the bedroom with the new DAC, or a Topping I have already. I also have the Node 2i, and secret weapon: my Denon DCD-S10 that has a digital input - and I upped the ante on its performance. The Denon does sound better than the Topping.

If the "Audio Receiver" works, I can upgrade the DACs easily enough.

It's easy to install a real crystal oscillator for the clock. You absolutely do not need more than a crystal oscillator for the lowest jitter noise. Ovenizing that doesn't make sense since your source has far more jitter. But, I can, then it will also be shock mounted as well. That's test instrument grade and far better than it has to be (by several orders of magnitude). Truth? You only need to worry about short term jitter, period. So a decent power supply and crystal drive circuit, keep from sudden temperature changes and you're golden. You just exceeded the efforts of the clock gurus very inexpensively.

As for the DAC board, it's perfect. If it performs well and responds to improvements I'll put it in a nice case with a much better low noise power supply. It then becomes a pretty darned good DAC. Although its really hard to beat a couple of co-linear PCM1702 per channel with improved audio path as in the Denon. Each chip is also co-linear by the way.

We'll see how it works. Step one, can they all play the same stream?

-Chris

Joined 2005
Paid Member
We have Apple Music and a Topping PRO 3 + dac, and another dac with an ESS 9038 chip set. An Ipad runs it wirelessly at 96/24 But to get the highest bit rate (192khz when the source allows it.)out of the Topping you have to run it hardwired to a laptop. ( which I have)

While I’ve been working on updating some Haflers with Rick and Bobs boards, what is finished are 2 Ashly Fet 2000 power amps and an SAE 2700 EQ. Dale RN resistors, new filter caps, polyester changed to polypropylene caps, new matched input pairs, lots of analog upgrades, cascode jetfet current sources, All discrete no opamps except the Dac. The EQ is using inductors in the filter section. (I should be using REW ). Quasimodo power bridge Snubbing. At least 1k parts ( thats the number of parts changed) between them all . ( Yes Chris it is stable ).

I also have a new pair of 21 inch subs ordered for 4 months now , maybe September they say.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
I never doubt your abilities, or that your gear is stable.

I use LND150 and DN2540 most often for making a CCS, I don't bother cascoding them as the impedance is high enough. Maybe if I was working at RF, but not for audio.

I'm always interested in what you're doing. I'll probably be bring my GF. She loves good sound and has a very good ear.