Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

Hi All,

today was my first attendance at such a meet, I like to thank Dave for hosting this event and all the preparations that go into such event. I had a great time meeting and chatting with all of you.

Here is my highlight of this day. :D

Attachments

• _20190331_095527.jpg
    _20190331_095527.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 129
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It was a good get together. As always, Dave was a wonderful host who kept us fed well.

I'm very sorry Mikett. Your Crispy Cream donuts were good.

I have some pictures showing some amplifiers. I didn't get them all, Dave's system was both pretty and superb sounding. The first picture shows an amplifier that Kay built. The amplifier was great and his actual construction was better than excellent. You have got to see his build in person! First, Kay's amp. Then Dave's system and speakers.

There were also some other speakers shown, but I was too busy talking with some of the people who attended. There were some very interesting omni-directional speakers by another member, and a powered speaker that Kay built. I'll post some more shots and maybe you can see it there.

A big thank you to Dave goes out for his hosting of this mob.

-Chris

Attachments

• DSCN7139 (Large).JPG
    DSCN7139 (Large).JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN7138 (Large).JPG
    DSCN7138 (Large).JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN7136 (Large).JPG
    DSCN7136 (Large).JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN7132 (Large).JPG
    DSCN7132 (Large).JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN7131 (Large).JPG
    DSCN7131 (Large).JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN7130 (Large).JPG
    DSCN7130 (Large).JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN7129 (Large).JPG
    DSCN7129 (Large).JPG
    284.7 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN7128 (Large).JPG
    DSCN7128 (Large).JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
More pictures .. not many.

You can see Kay's powered amplifier / speaker on the right side of the table. The tube amp is mine and there is another class D amplifier. It was built by a member, I can't remember his name (sorry!).

Hopefully some of you have more pictures they can share - as well as experiences. I know that Kay enjoyed himself, and for a first timer really showed off his mad construction skills. You could say I was impressed. Everyone made some impressive projects, so the time was definitely not wasted.

With any luck, more of you will attend the next get together. You're really missing out if you don't come if you are in range.

Speaking of getting there, my day started with 4" of evil white sh1t all over the car, and it wasn't the white fluffy stuff either. It was messy in Georgetown and I wondered how many people would be turned off by the snow (a lot as it turned out). But I made it in, as did a few others that had to drive further than I did. It was worth the effort to get there, and I didn't even get lost this time!

-Chris

Attachments

• DSCN7141 (Large).JPG
    DSCN7141 (Large).JPG
    333.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN7140 (Large).JPG
    DSCN7140 (Large).JPG
    249.8 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN7136 (Large).JPG
    DSCN7136 (Large).JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 67
Hi Chris,

it was great to meet you again. Here are a few more sexy snaps I took. I met to many people at once today and admit I failed to catch and remember the gentlemen's name in the blue shirt. I am quite impressed with his ingenuity and -reverse- application of a stepper motor. I wish I could chat a little more with him.

I believe you are mistaken, I did not build the Floor Standing speakers, I believe Brian did. And yes, he did a very nice job on these.

However, I did demo my little tiger striped bamboo beach blaster. ;)

Chris, please feel free to edit my post and put the proper name for -blue shirt- to ease my embarrassment. :eek:

Left to right:

Dave and -blue shirt- checking out cool tube stuff.

Dave's superb Tube amplifier. I wish I knew more about tubes.

-blue shirt's- superb pre-amp. Nice application of SMA cables and stepper reverse, very very cool .:)

Attachments

• _20190331_114735.jpg
    _20190331_114735.jpg
    666.2 KB · Views: 76
  • _20190331_135311.jpg
    _20190331_135311.jpg
    701.3 KB · Views: 78
  • _20190331_135316.jpg
    _20190331_135316.jpg
    696.6 KB · Views: 70
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Kay,
Actually, I guess that post does look like I said you made the omni directional speakers. That was unintended and I can't remember his name. The tube amp was mine.

Can you show us some clean pictures of your Technics amplifier rebirth? You did an excellent job on it.

-Chris

Edit: Brian, that was his name! Thank you.

Hi Chris,

it was great to meet you again. Here are a few more sexy snaps I took. I met to many people at once today and admit I failed to catch and remember the gentlemen's name in the blue shirt. I am quite impressed with his ingenuity and -reverse- application of a stepper motor. I wish I could chat a little more with him.

I believe you are mistaken, I did not build the Floor Standing speakers, I believe Brian did. And yes, he did a very nice job on these.

However, I did demo my little tiger striped bamboo beach blaster. ;)

Chris, please feel free to edit my post and put the proper name for -blue shirt- to ease my embarrassment. :eek:

Left to right:

Dave and -blue shirt- checking out cool tube stuff.

Dave's superb Tube amplifier. I wish I knew more about tubes.

-blue shirt's- superb pre-amp. Nice application of SMA cables and stepper reverse, very very cool .:)

The gentleman in the blue shirt was Doug. He was the guy who led me into the class D amp craze a number of years ago at the first meet held in the conference room at Walter's office:p

Regards,

Hi Kay,
Actually, I guess that post does look like I said you made the omni directional speakers. That was unintended and I can't remember his name. The tube amp was mine.

Can you show us some clean pictures of your Technics amplifier rebirth? You did an excellent job on it.

-Chris

Edit: Brian, that was his name! Thank you.

Hi Chris,

alright, so we get this all sorted, the gentleman's name in the blue shirt is Doug. Thanks Lo_Tse !

Please feel free to edit my post.:D

Many Thanks for your complement, I am glad you like it so here a delicious Sony / Technics sandwich. :D
And nudes...

Attachments

• ___20190214_121213.jpg
    ___20190214_121213.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 97
  • ___20190214_121942.jpg
    ___20190214_121942.jpg
    695.8 KB · Views: 106
  • _20190220_125108.jpg
    _20190220_125108.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
It was a great event. Thanks Dave.

Three amplifiers were heard and all three were fantastic. (IMHO)

The preamp (open box with a bunch of green boards... post 1003-1004) is arduino nano controlled.
It has buffered input selection (ground connection is also switched out on non used channels),
Constant impedance pi attenuators in 1-2-4-8-8-8-8-8 dB to give 0-47dB control
The output is also buffered and provides balanced (differential) output to the TPA3116 PBLT amplifier.

Lots of food and the short beer were appreciated.

Thanks again Dave and hopefully see all (and more) in the fall.

Hi Doug,

I apologize for my senior moment in my previous post. I am quite impressed with your pre-amp design and wanted to ask you about the small signal relais you used. Please can you share a part number of these relais ? :)

Cheers

Kay

Relays are signal types

IM series:

IM07TS TE Connectivity Potter & Brumfield Relays | Relays | DigiKey

Or G6K series:

G6K-2F-Y-TR DC24 Omron Electronics Inc-EMC Div | Relays | DigiKey

I forgot to mention that I thought your amp was very clean for layout...Something I will try to add to my designs.

:)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Glad everyone had a good time and new visitors came out. Maybe October for a fall meet.

The Hafler DH 200 is totally stock and I thought I could use it while I finished 1 of my 3 or 4 amp projects, but finishing the preamp and dac took all my time.
I have to say listening to the DH 200 before anyone arrived was pretty disappointing

It looks like Robert Cordell's Hafler DH 200 redesign of the driver board is going to be released as a replacement pc board soon and Bob gets very low distortion numbers out of the redesign ( Linear Systems dual input fets , cascoded, dc servo, current mirrored etc ). So watch all the dh 200 to get snapped up and prices of used ones to go up. I got the one at the meeting for $200 a week ago.

Last edited:
It was a blast

Thanks Dave for being a warm and magnanimous host. Very impressed with how those big speakers filled the large industrial space like a proper concert.

I had a blast meeting and chatting with so many brilliant folks who not only built incredible systems, but actually designed them. Amazing talent.

Looking forward to interacting and learning from such a wonderful crowd.

Denis