Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Jay and I have spoke through PM's

I don't have the Elsinore anymore.. I'm finishing one speaker under my own brand and plan to display at Taves, and in Montreal, in the future..

I'm working on Turntable Plinths with a Partner, idea is move vintage parts to the new Plinth.. I'll see my partner tomorrow and we can decide if we should attend with you guys with our Prototypes.. we have more refinement to do so not sure if we're really ready but sounds like it could fit in..

Thanks for considering me,

Joel

It doesn't look like a three day meet will work - there just isn't enough of us to make this possible.

Also, there are loads of issues with logistics - is anyone prepared to leave their precious builds at the show for three days, and if so, can these units be powered up and then, by whom? What about safety considerations etc...

Too much risk in my mind.

My "plan B" proposal is that we stick to a half day meet and everyone pitches at the same time. (say Sunday afternoon as this works for me:D)

That way, each person is responsible for their own gear and can decide if they personally wish to let the smoke out or not! We can also help each other lug stuff in and out (assuming that the show organizers permit this)

We can then create some structure to the meeting, possibly invite some of the manufacturers to make technical presentations the diy attendees etc.

This is more of a win-win plan for the vendors, organizers and the TDIYAA folks.

Those in favour of "plan B" pls speak now -or we go with the three day "plan A"

Plan "B" works for me, the main problem has been to have a venue to hold the DIY meeting, to man a room for 3 days seems to be a lot to ask of us not having the man power available as well the issues Jaimo touched on, I will be most likely at the show on Friday while the subway is working not the weekend.

It doesn't look like a three day meet will work - there just isn't enough of us to make this possible.

Also, there are loads of issues with logistics - is anyone prepared to leave their precious builds at the show for three days, and if so, can these units be powered up and then, by whom? What about safety considerations etc...

Too much risk in my mind.

My "plan B" proposal is that we stick to a half day meet and everyone pitches at the same time. (say Sunday afternoon as this works for me:D)

That way, each person is responsible for their own gear and can decide if they personally wish to let the smoke out or not! We can also help each other lug stuff in and out (assuming that the show organizers permit this)

We can then create some structure to the meeting, possibly invite some of the manufacturers to make technical presentations the diy attendees etc.

This is more of a win-win plan for the vendors, organizers and the TDIYAA folks.

Those in favour of "plan B" pls speak now -or we go with the three day "plan A"

I agree. Three days is "too much" to handle. Plan B is fine with me although personally, Saturday afternoon is better for me. However, I'll go with the flow.

We should ask Audio-nut to check with the TAVES organizer about this "change of plan".

Regards,

If you guys are worried about security, if a room is available, you *can* lock it.

We could have a scheduled time for each of us to show our stuff. That would accommodate our individual schedules.

Honestly, I'm not interested in showing up with a 100 pound amp Class A amp just to be a "me too" display in a 4 hour window.

All that is necessary is a room and at least one pair of speakers.

IF there is an interest in doing that, we would need to know how many pieces of gear will actually show up and what times they will be there? Then, a schedule can be made.

I remember what happened at Todd's one gathering. Very little worked, and it took forever to set up. 4 hours is not long enough to guarantee success.

If you guys are worried about security, if a room is available, you *can* lock it.

We could have a scheduled time for each of us to show our stuff. That would accommodate our individual schedules.

Honestly, I'm not interested in showing up with a 100 pound amp Class A amp just to be a "me too" display in a 4 hour window.

All that is necessary is a room and at least one pair of speakers.

IF there is an interest in doing that, we would need to know how many pieces of gear will actually show up and what times they will be there? Then, a schedule can be made.

I remember what happened at Todd's one gathering. Very little worked, and it took forever to set up. 4 hours is not long enough to guarantee success.

Thanks for your feedback.

We could consider plan B1 which is a whole day Sunday meet. Simon is out of town this weekend so I will talk to him next week. Getting our gear in and out may be a pain. Normallly the vendors drop off the gear before the start of the show and pickup after the show ends.

Plan C: I could contact the guy who hosted the last HeadFi Org meet and see if he is interested in hosting and renting the games room in his condo. Location is Sheppard and Yonge. We would need to pay for the rental of the room.

Plan D: Find a place at work or home for a meet.

Thanks for your feedback.

We could consider plan B1 which is a whole day Sunday meet. Simon is out of town this weekend so I will talk to him next week. Getting our gear in and out may be a pain. Normallly the vendors drop off the gear before the start of the show and pickup after the show ends.

Plan C: I could contact the guy who hosted the last HeadFi Org meet and see if he is interested in hosting and renting the games room in his condo. Location is Sheppard and Yonge. We would need to pay for the rental of the room.

Plan D: Find a place at work or home for a meet.

All day Sunday is probably the most flexible option (plan B1). There should be plenty of opportunity for people to play the gears that they brought.

Regards,

Yes, we are still on.

Based on the input from the group, we should approach the show organizers for a Sunday (all day) Meet.

Audionut - pls contact Simon and confirm that the organizers will be happy to have us meet at the venue. - Let's shoot for a Room with tables and chairs.

Once this is firmed up, I will collate all input and make up an equipment list, duty roster presentation topics etc.

I talked to Simon yesterday.

TAVES cannot support a one day meet. It would be a logistics challenge to get equipment in and out during the show.

They can support a 3 day event but vendors must bring equipment on the Thursday and remove them on the Monday.

So I told Simon to cancel our DIY meet for TAVES.

Going forward, I think we need to find a suitable venue for our meetings. This plan should grow the size of our group and hopefully we can support a 3 day meet at TAVES for next year.