Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

I think it is a good idea to have a table at the show, just like the OVRA group. Basically to promote our hobby, and let people know that one can build their own audio components and enjoy the fruit of their own work. Good sound can be had without paying hefty sum of money.

I do not think there will be much conflict with the show. One of the main goal of TAVES is attract people to audio (and video) - to appreciate and enjoy "good sound" (and nice pictures). To enjoy good sound, you need equipments. One can either build the equipment yourself or purchase it. My personal experience is that majority of the people would prefer buying the hardware than building it.

We do not necessarily have to participate in the show under the banner of DIYAUDIO. I have nothing against DIYAUDIO but I am just worry that there might be legal stuffs that we have to deal with and renders the whole event overly complicated. However, I do agree that we should have some kind of an "official group name". Just in case someone interested ask what is your group.

I will definitely help out if there is a table in the show, even on Friday. Let's keep talking.

Regards,

It would be awesome if we could cobble together a diy system and take up a room if one is available.

I have one channel of my PP KT88 amp done and could get the other done in time with a mammoth effort.

DUG - any class D wonders?

Merlin and Lo_Tse -any autoformer and DAC progress? also F5, Lightspeed etc

Jpechloe - SE KT88

Audionut - if my memory serves me right - cables?

IKO - #26 preamp with smoke still inside :D

Big E - F5T

I talked with Simon for almost an hour.

There is no conflict with a DIY group at the show. When we build our projects companies like PCX and Solen benefit from our audio purchases.

We will be treated like any other vendor. Each vendor gets complimentary (3 day) passes for four people. The rest pay admission.

If we have a display with small group then we get a 8' x 10' booth. If we have two people with a super small display like OVRA then we may get half a booth.

The booth format works for a headphone amplifier display or static display but if you guys are bringing speakers than it sounds like we need to get a room so we can crank it up.

Simon needs to see our game plan or proposal to get a room. I can present our plan to him on behalf of the group.

If we are short on volunteers than perhaps we can rotate every 2 hours. I think we all want to check out the rest of the show too. :)

We would need to bring everything including power bars.

Tables and an extension cord (if required) would be supplied.

TPA3116 again

I could bring this one on Sunday.

Should run about 8W/ch on 12V.

I still have the original as backup.

I could also bring the big speakers if there is room for them.

(Photos courtesy of Planet10 at Vancouver Island meet)

Attachments

• classD.jpg
    classD.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 82
  • classD-2.jpg
    classD-2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 76
TPA3116 again

I could bring this one on Sunday.

Should run about 8W/ch on 12V.

I still have the original as backup.

I could also bring the big speakers if there is room for them.

(Photos courtesy of Planet10 at Vancouver Island meet)

DUG,

Hey your recent design of the TPA3116 board looks great! Why not.

Actually for display impact, your original one are even better (with the irregular shaped PCB)

Regards,

Hi guys,

Please let me know how many speaker systems or setups you guys will be running. I'm not familiar with your systems so please let me know.

I can give this information to Simon so he can "fight" for us to get a room before they are all taken. Otherwise we will get a booth.

Thanks

Hi guys,

Please let me know how many speaker systems or setups you guys will be running. I'm not familiar with your systems so please let me know.

I can give this information to Simon so he can "fight" for us to get a room before they are all taken. Otherwise we will get a booth.

Thanks

Wow, we can actually get a room!! I thought even getting a small booth would be hard. This is excellent!!

On the other hand, having a room is a big commitment. Gentlemen, let's make sure we are ready for it and can handle it.

Regards,

Wow, we can actually get a room!! I thought even getting a small booth would be hard. This is excellent!!

On the other hand, having a room is a big commitment. Gentlemen, let's make sure we are ready for it and can handle it.

Regards,

Getting a room has not been confirmed yet. The big question is how many systems will be running at any one time. This answer will determine our space requirements which is something Simon needs to know.

Would that depend on the number of speaker systems we can bring?

Is using a commercial set of speakers a good idea? At least that way you can remove all doubt as to the quality of the electronics.....

I think the more speaker systems we have the easier it will be to justify to Simon the need for a room. I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing commercial speakers.

Also if we bring two sets of speakers (for example) to the show for Friday and leave them there for the 3 days then it will save everyone the trouble of bringing the heavy stuff. Don't forget to take them back on Sunday.;)

I think the more speaker systems we have the easier it will be to justify to Simon the need for a room. I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing commercial speakers.

Also if we bring two sets of speakers (for example) to the show for Friday and leave them there for the 3 days then it will save everyone the trouble of bringing the heavy stuff. Don't forget to take them back on Sunday.;)

I agree, commercial speakers should be fine. Let me be the devil's advocate - do we have enough manpower to man the room for 3 days? We probably need at least two people at any one time during the show.

Regards,

Looks like a bunch of folks are not aware of this planned meet.

Merlin, Jpchloe, Millbay, Joel Wesseling, Amcam, etc. I will pm them and let them know about TAVES.

Does anyone remember who brought a pair of Elsinore speakers to Amcam's place?

I think it was Joel Wesseling.

Come to think about it, looks like we are going to have an "audio meet" at TAVES! And it will last for 3 days!!

Regards,

I would not mind to show and play my newly build KT88,KT120 SE amp using tube rectification instead of SS diodes as well all Capacitors are now PP film caps driving KT88,KT120 in triode mode only, outperforming my previous KT88 SE amp.

The problem will be how to get the amp including a preamp to the show and get them back home because the pieces are heavy and bulky to transport for me at my age.

Unless the amp is being played showing it's capability driving speakers with reasonable impedance curve like when we used my old KT88 amp driving DUG's speakers there would be no point in bringing the new amp.

Also the subway is not running on Saturday & Sunday as far as I know, this is very inconvenient, have a feeling this will put a damper on the show, also car parking will be a pain in the neck.