Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

It has been over a year since we had our last meeting. Anyone feel like a DIY meeting this fall?

BTW, I'm working on these small tower speakers for my HT system. All Hi-Vi Research drivers.

Attachments

• P1030579a.jpg
    P1030579a.jpg
    944.7 KB · Views: 113
How about at Taves

Given we do not have a venue...
Can I suggest those that are interested meet for a breakfast meeting at Taves at the Sheraton center at 9 am on Friday 31st.. Then we break up and enjoy Taves. It will not be a show and tell meet, but that's clearly not happening anyway. At least we can get together and say Hi and chat about projects and accomplishments

I wish I could offer the venue as before, but no longer an option...

Given we do not have a venue...
Can I suggest those that are interested meet for a breakfast meeting at Taves at the Sheraton center at 9 am on Friday 31st.. Then we break up and enjoy Taves. It will not be a show and tell meet, but that's clearly not happening anyway. At least we can get together and say Hi and chat about projects and accomplishments

I wish I could offer the venue as before, but no longer an option...

Hi, Walter

Good to hear from you! I presume you are going to the TAVES this year again. Most probably, I will be there on Friday (just like the past number of years). Definitely interested in getting together for breakfast/coffee.

Regards,

I'll be at TAVES on Friday. A breakfast meeting is a great idea.

The HeadFi Org and OVRA groups will have tables at TAVES.

I know Simon Au one of the TAVES organizers. So if you guys want to get a table at TAVES let me know and I can ask him tomorrow. I'm seeing him Monday to get some capacitors matched.

Don't forget, the purpose of the show is to generate business. Last thing they really want is for us to show how it is possible to build better stuff at 10th the cost.

There are a few vendors catering to DIY. AudioNote kits takes a room and their stuff is well worth a listen. Remember Audiosensibility who was at one of our meets? He has a table for his power cords and parts. A few guys like that are near the entrance.

I like it just to see and hear the incredible range of stuff often priced at a level that otherwise I'd never see. Then come home and realize how good the stuff is I built myself and feel smug about the savings. I found 1 day is not enough.

No doubt, there will be those vendors who would rather that diy audio didn't exist - but those folks are most likely to be snake oil merchants with dubious products and shaky business foundations.

Fortunately, there are many highly regarded audio companies who encourage and even actively participate in diy forums. DIYers should be considered are a good target segment for a hi-fi show - lets see if the organisers will tolerate the idea...

IKO - good questions for a recap...

What we are really looking for is a spot where we (the GTA group) could meet.

Not everyone can make the same time or day so the conversation shifted to a meeting place for the duration of the show and someone then came up with the idea of asking for a table.

We could use this spot as a meeting place and to promote diyAudio in a similar way that Head-fi is promoting themselves. - no money changing hands but just a bunch of amateurs promoting the diyAudio forum and perhaps showing off some of their builds.

I participate in trade shows professionally and run my companies bi-annual event where I give up space to non-profits as part of our Corporate Social Responsibility program - it's not unusual for trade show organizers to do this.

So, the question is do we approach the organizers under the diyAudio banner or just as a bunch of local diyers looking for a space to get together during the show? - or is this a bad idea altogether?

Anyone interested in pursuing this?

I talked to Simon today about a DIY meeting at the show. He is one of the TAVES organizers.

He can provide a complimentary booth or room depending on the scope our plans. Other groups are meeting at TAVES yearly and he said we could make this a regular thing.

The show this year will be completely different with more fun things to do for the whole family. Simon asked what can our group do that is interesting and fun?

Personally, I think this is a great way to promote our hobby and meet people who share similar interests.

Of course, for this meeting to happen, there would need to be enough volunteers to cover this 3 day event.

So the door is open if we want to enter...

During the show hours I am interested only in attending the show. I want to see and hear manufacturers wares so I really can't support the DIY table. Don't let me be a wet blanket, but I have limited time and look forward to attending the event as a spectator and enthusiast. It is the only time in the year I get to see this stuff.

Still interested in meeting our group for a coffee Friday morning before the show to catch up and say a warm hello.