Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

Yes it was a blast guys. It was strange how many pieces of gear went DOA in that corner of the house. Dazed's SACD player wouldn't work over there too. He is thinking that it could be that its the most densely populated area of Toronto with more cell phone usages than any other part of Toronto.

Unfortunately we did not have any shoot outs because most people just wanted to get a chance to play their gear. I imagine that if we do this regularly enough we can get to a point where we are familiar enough with each other's builds that we will have patience for a shootout.

I was happy to host and would like to thank those of you who brought provisions. I also owe a debt of gratitude to my wife who is always gracious enough to get the kids out and turn over the house to me for awhile to hang out with my "geek" friends. (said with endearment).

One closing note: Someone left their eye glasses at my house.

Yes it was a blast guys. It was strange how many pieces of gear went DOA in that corner of the house. Dazed's SACD player wouldn't work over there too. He is thinking that it could be that its the most densely populated area of Toronto with more cell phone usages than any other part of Toronto.

Unfortunately we did not have any shoot outs because most people just wanted to get a chance to play their gear. I imagine that if we do this regularly enough we can get to a point where we are familiar enough with each other's builds that we will have patience for a shootout.

I was happy to host and would like to thank those of you who brought provisions. I also owe a debt of gratitude to my wife who is always gracious enough to get the kids out and turn over the house to me for awhile to hang out with my "geek" friends. (said with endearment).

One closing note: Someone left their eye glasses at my house.

If they are frameless, that would be me!

Is there anyone here who offers enclosure cutting services?

If you are asking about cutting the metal (say for tube amp) I took following approach..
design using free tool from Font Panel Express. Ship design file by email to PVA Enterprises who supply aluminum and cut using waterjet. They can cut anything from metal to wood to stone. Very good job and inexpensive.
Home

Attachments

• 6C33C pair assembled.jpg
    6C33C pair assembled.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 148
If you are asking about cutting the metal (say for tube amp) I took following approach..
design using free tool from Font Panel Express. Ship design file by email to PVA Enterprises who supply aluminum and cut using waterjet. They can cut anything from metal to wood to stone. Very good job and inexpensive.
Home
Sorry, I mean for speaker enclosures. Standard stuff (1/2" MDF, etc.)

June sounds good

Count me in...

I'm nearly done with my Utracer - there's nothing like a meet to help spurr things on.

We do need a theme for the next meeting. I would like to get max value out of a meet and with the amazing and diverse expertise we have, it will be great to have people with specific expertise edumacate the rest of the group.

If my memory serves me well, we previously had a passive preamp shoot out, a tube vs class D trial and a tube preamp session amongst others...

It will be great if we could pick one topic and do a deep dive during the meet -maybe have the builder talk about the design, build process etc and then do a listening test.

Some topics that come to mind:-

Building a PC based digital playback system
My #26 preamp
Class D amplifiers
Testing tubes and understanding tube data
Modifying commercial DACs
Streaming High quality audio
Test equipment and tools
Designing a high quality bookshelf speaker

Feel free to add to this list and the attendees can vote on the topic of choice.

Last edited:
I'm in!

I like the idea of a main theme. All the ones mentioned look interesting.

I'd be keen to hear Iko tell us about the 26 preamp both as an example of a reference preamp but also to learn about direct heated triodes.

If people want to go down the computer as an audio source path I could cover the ALIX industrial processor on Linux, and certainly share experience on the Windows CMP2 front.

There was a brave soul who suggested hosting. Lets see if that pans out. I can check and see if my office is still clear on weekends to handle a crowd. We've been adding some new staff so not clear if the place is still empty on Sundays. Probably good for a small group in a board room but not as open for big equipment and big sound.

Glad to see all the responses! Meet with a theme is good. I like Walter's suggestion on the DHT pre-amp. We never did get a chance to hear Iko's preamp :( last time.

I have assembled a pre-amp kit (extremely simple) from flea Bay that is based on a single op amp (4 x gain only). The idea was to do some op amp rolling using some better rated IC's (like OPA2134, LM4562. OPA2604 etc) to see how the sound changes. Waiting for a box for this piece now.

I recently built a class D amp (based on the TPA3122 chip) from a $10 kit. I was amazed by its sound. Overall, I do no think it is as outstanding as DUG's TPA3116d2 in the base dept. But slowly, I am becoming a believer of the Class D technolgy!

I can bring both to the next meet.

Regards,