Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

I'd like to start a discussion on format for the shoot out that way we won't have to waste our time doing it on Saturday. For instance;
Do we want to use vinyl or DAC?
Do we want to have a warm up period for the preamp or just run them one after another changing as quickly as possible.
Do we want to run them in a row or winner of V1 Vs. V2 against V3, etc
Do we want to use just one song or maybe a spectrum of 2 or 3 songs?
What songs/music should we use?
What kind of grading system do we want to use? Do we just want a ranking system and then average the results of the various rankings .. or do we want to have a score card for each preamp with subcategories like; detail, warmth, frequency extension, openness/transparency, musicality, etc?

Anything else to consider?

Hi, AmCan

I think CDs or digital music files are more convenient. Regarding types of music, probably some female and/or male vocal, some strings acoustic instruments like guitar/violin/cello etc. Got to throw in some percussion sound e.g. drum solo, lots of kick drum, organ, piano :D
I can bring a few CDs for people to try out. Oh, we do need a CD player and an out board DAC for digital music files.

Regards,

Hi Lo_Tse,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I hurt my back lifting my tower speakers this week so I'll avoid bringing anything heavy to the meeting. I'm upgrading the crossovers to Mundorf and Solen components. I have built several DIY power cables. Is anyone interested in doing A/B testing with these cables?
Nelson

Hi Lo_Tse,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I hurt my back lifting my tower speakers this week so I'll avoid bringing anything heavy to the meeting. I'm upgrading the crossovers to Mundorf and Solen components. I have built several DIY power cables. Is anyone interested in doing A/B testing with these cables?
Nelson

Nelson,

That's fine. I asked the same question to everyone that's coming just for planning reason.

Regards,

Hello Guys

I haven't put my name down to bring any gear as yet - pls let me know what is needed and I will see if I can help.

I can bring in my Dyna ST35 clone (not as great as Jpechloe's KT88 SE amp)
Modified Behringer DEQ (works as an optical SPDIF DAC)
Dynaco ST70
Test Gear
B&W flac music files

I also have tons of diy components if anyone is looking for something specific.

I am looking for a Dynaco A470 or equivalent Power Transformer.
Tube sockets for my tube curve tracer project.
Output Transformers.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hello,

If its not to late and there's room for one more I'd like to come with some things...

I have small Mini Monitors, Triode Lab 300B power amp and Pre, Music server with JRiver software and Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card..

I can bring any or all any of the above..

Thanks, Joel

Joel and Nelson

I am checking with AmCan to see how many people his place can handle. As mentioned earlier, in addition to our group from the forum, AmCan is also inviting a group of his audio friends to come to the meet. Looks like it is going to be a "big party".

Regards,

Wow! I am at a loss about what to do here. Its not my intention to want to turn anyone away but my listening room is only 12 x 15 - maybe a bit smaller. I do have the second room that we can break up into groups but I assume everyone wants to hear the preamp shoot out and there won't be room for everyone as it is already. With regret I am going to have to cut it off to the original list of people. If you weren't part of Lo_TSE original email group I am sorry but it will have to be next time. I wish I had a bigger house. This bums me out.