Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

I did a quick inventory - looks like we have a good selection of gear.

In addition to the networking and sharing, we could maybe do a dac, chip amp and attenuator audition.

Totem speakers
Chip amp
Light speed attenuator
Odac/O2
Jfet boz
Ak 4396 dac
Transformer Attenuator
Behringer 4396 dac
Dyna sca35 clone
3 sets of phones
iPod classic source
Rotel cdp855 / 6np6 source
Cmp/cics player source
Dug speakers
Ikoflexer headphoneamp
Tpa3116 amp

Did I miss anything?

Also let the group know if you are looking for any specific DIY components etc

Holly Molly!! That's a lot of gears :D. Do not mean to dampen anyone's enthusiam, but we have only ~ 3 hours:(. May be save some for a sequel? Something that we all look forward to?

Regards,

Jaimo
Looks like you have captured the list of gear being auditioned. I know I for one would really like to hear the difference in the amps and the lightspeed vs transformer attenuators.

We read all the hype, and we hear our own stuff (which always sounds great when you do it yourself), but I for one never have heard the characteristics of one vs the other.

I could imagine setting up a base system and running through the sources and attenuators on one amp/speaker set. Then I would be keen to lock down the source and compare amps. I would really like to hear my old faithful Peter Daniel chip amp vs the really interesting range of amps coming. I for one have never heard a SE tube amp before. Until recently, I had never heard a tube amp but now that I have them I'm loving it. I am really interested to hear the various presentation that different designs offer.

I am going to toss in an isolation transformer. To me DAC's and CD players open up the sound stage with a bit of power filtering and amps collapse with a filter. Let's see if that holds up!

Likewise, I played with passive preamps some time ago and was not impressed. My ARC SP8 bettered the diy attempts i made. I am very keen to hear the improvements a light speed or transformer attenuator can bring.

I am also relatively new to tubes and sold my beloved Bryston 4B ST in favor of a KT88 PP design about 18 months ago. I am now working on building a regulated heater supply for my KT88 monoblocks and have an interstage transformer coupled PP design in mind for my next project.

With the some Audiophile business interests creating all sorts of misconceptions about what makes for good sound, i agree that one's best bet is to figure things out through DIY and having an open minded group that contributes diverse technologies has huge merit. I am really looking forward to hearing the differences between a chip amp, traditional ss amp and tube gear - (not that this will be conclusive in any way).

Here's the updated list

Totem speakers
Chip amp
Light speed attenuator
Odac/O2
Jfet boz
Ak 4396 dac
Transformer Attenuator
Behringer 4396 dac
Dyna sca35 clone
3 sets of phones
iPod classic source
Rotel cdp855 / 6np6 source
Cmp/cics player source
Dug speakers
Ikoflexer headphoneamp
Tpa3116 amp
SE KT88 power amp
Isolation txf (x2)

Did I miss anything?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hello

DUG informed me of this thread over at Class D amps

I`m interested but looks like found out to late for this one and hopefully next time.. Love to hear all gear including DACs and class D

I have a basement that is dedicated to audio and work at audio related things all day and almost everyday

I have a treated room and dable in room acoustic measurement with ETF software.. I can measure the Response of your speakers..

Equipment I have now for hearing is Elsinore speakers and JR Mini designed by Joe Rasmussen on this site. A Few àmps by Triode Lab here and will have more models in the future.. Weak on sources other than Turntable but want build a music server, need good DAC for it

I construct Elsinore and JR mini for sale as Cabinets or completed for the ones that like them but dont build but one can listen to Elsinore and build them themselfs if desired.. I also build for ones own design...

Anyway, Visitors are welcome to compare equipment here anytime..
Just PM me. Courtice is east border with Oshawa on HYW 2

Thanks, Joel

Hello

DUG informed me of this thread over at Class D amps

I`m interested but looks like found out to late for this one and hopefully next time.. Love to hear all gear including DACs and class D

I have a basement that is dedicated to audio and work at audio related things all day and almost everyday

I have a treated room and dable in room acoustic measurement with ETF software.. I can measure the Response of your speakers..

Equipment I have now for hearing is Elsinore speakers and JR Mini designed by Joe Rasmussen on this site. A Few àmps by Triode Lab here and will have more models in the future.. Weak on sources other than Turntable but want build a music server, need good DAC for it

I construct Elsinore and JR mini for sale as Cabinets or completed for the ones that like them but dont build but one can listen to Elsinore and build them themselfs if desired.. I also build for ones own design...

Anyway, Visitors are welcome to compare equipment here anytime..
Just PM me. Courtice is east border with Oshawa on HYW 2

Thanks, Joel

Joel,

It is OK. Join us next time. Hopefully not too distant in the future. Look like you are the "go to" speaker guy!

Regards,

I also want to chime in to thank Walter for offering the location to hold this get together. Thank you for everyone for showing up. It was a very enjoyable meeting and I appreciate people's generosity in sharing their knowledge and experience.

I was quite amazed by Peter's 4 W KT88 SE amp. Jaimo's tube amp sounds good too. Walter's chip amp (with the Lightspeed attenuator) and DAC sound more than fine. Thanks to DUG who brought those floor standing speakers, and those amazing tiny class D amps!! Too bad we do not have time to try out jamo's headphone amps and DAC (inside that pretty marble in-laid wooden box) and cans! May be next time.

Looking forward to meet you guys again!

Regards,

You are welcome! Great meeting!

I am very happy that the meeting worked out so well. I had a great time and learned a lot.

I had no idea we have such talented members here in Toronto. In addition to hobbyists like myself, we had electrical engineers, professional speaker designer, PCB designer and pros who have designed some of the equipment we have all admired.

I particularly enjoyed hearing the various equipment brought in. What a variety. We had SE tube amps with beautiful micro detail at one end and cutting edge class D the size of a credit card with tons of tight bass... and everything in between. All good! Love the transformer attenuator.

As one member suggested, maybe we do theme meets. Next time headphone amps, another phono front ends etc. We had way more equipment than time.

Again, thanks to all for being such a great group. I'd be happy to host again in the future.

Attachments

• DYI meeting weekend 128.jpg
    DYI meeting weekend 128.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 398
  • DYI meeting weekend 131.jpg
    DYI meeting weekend 131.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 387

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
It was awesome! Thank you Walter for hosting, and you all for bringing in equipment and coming. Hope to bring something myself next time. Looking forward to another meet.

Attachments

• DSC01605.JPG
    DSC01605.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC01604.JPG
    DSC01604.JPG
    301.8 KB · Views: 752
  • DSC01603.JPG
    DSC01603.JPG
    288.7 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC01601.JPG
    DSC01601.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC01600.JPG
    DSC01600.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC01599.JPG
    DSC01599.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC01598.JPG
    DSC01598.JPG
    290.3 KB · Views: 373
  • DSC01597.JPG
    DSC01597.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 381
  • DSC01596.JPG
    DSC01596.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 389
  • DSC01606.JPG
    DSC01606.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 218
I agree: It was awesome!

Thank you Walter for hosting. And thank everyone for attending.

Great discussions and anyone that did not learn something new wasn't paying attention.

Theme meets would be a good idea as more people join in and have projects to share.

"it is worth the drive to...where ever we were"

:)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Joel,

Those Elsinores look awesome - I will take you up on the offer to audition in the near future. I haven't dug into the Elsinore thread yet - what amplifier type do you recommend?

They work well with many amps and low power is fine too as sensitivity is 95db and easy load.. For solid state my favorite has been E202 but I'm sure lots of better vintage amps would work.. I dont feel its a speaker(like some) that needs an exact amp to have it sound balanced or keep it from doing weird things.. Dream about DIY E202 without all the front panel controls...

I've tried several of Triode Lab amps including entry level and up to reference mono's with seperate pre and they're all Organic and neutral to me and one is being made for me right now and it's 8w SET integrated(F300B) and sits somewhere in the upper middle of Finale line..

Right now have hooked up EL84 ultalinear power amp with sep pre...

If you come do you have an amp to try?

I'm Interested in hearing digital sources and especialy DAC's but thinking about what Music server to build right now..