Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

I have sent out the meeting venue to people that had expressed interest in attending the meet up this Sunday via PM. If you do receive it, please let me know by posting or PM.

See the guys there!

Regards,

Lo_Tse

Ooops!! Sorry, I mean "if you do not receive the PM" then contact me :eek:. Not the other way round.

@ikoflexer
You are welcome. Looking forward too see you again.

Regards,

I look forward to meeting everyone and learning from others experience. What makes the DIY movement so strong is the network of people who help each other out.

To that point, I can suggest a rough agenda. We will be assembling at 2.30pm.
- round table introductions - tell a little about yourself, DIY experience and current projects
- planned projects - make connections with people who have been down that path
- show and tell - we'll have a fair collection of equipment ... great to compare sound notes SS vs tube, DAC, CD, USB cable impact, digital server, lightspeed vs transformer attenuators
- swap/buy/sell - bring your bag of surplus parts - one mans junk is another's treasure
- plan date for next meet
5.30 pack up and head out.

wlowes,

What playback sources do you have to be able to play my SE amp which is a integrated amp with 2 source inputs.

I am going to bring a vintage Rotel CDP855 with 6np6 tube output. Another member is bringing his USB DAC. I have a laptop loaded with CMP/CICS player and a HDD full of CDs. We will have one or more lightspeed attenuators and a transformer attenuator. If I get ambitous I may bring another USB DAC just to be safe as I know the drivers on my laptop will drive this DAC. It is another TDA1541a tube output deal. So bring a couple of your favorite demo CDs and we should be able to give your amp some reasonable source material.

The limiting factor in SQ will be the speakers. I have volunteered a pair of bookshelf speakers from Totem. Nothing special but easy to transport.

I am going to bring a vintage Rotel CDP855 with 6np6 tube output. Another member is bringing his USB DAC. I have a laptop loaded with CMP/CICS player and a HDD full of CDs. We will have one or more lightspeed attenuators and a transformer attenuator. If I get ambitous I may bring another USB DAC just to be safe as I know the drivers on my laptop will drive this DAC. It is another TDA1541a tube output deal. So bring a couple of your favorite demo CDs and we should be able to give your amp some reasonable source material.

The limiting factor in SQ will be the speakers. I have volunteered a pair of bookshelf speakers from Totem. Nothing special but easy to transport.

Look like we are going to have a bunch of gears to check out! Great!

Regards,

I could bring some larger speakers...

And I will bring my just-tested-but-not-in-a-case-yet TPA3116 amp.

Not 24V supply, only 19.5 but it makes some good low end push.

Source would be via 3.5mm stereo connector unless something else is needed...let me know.

I could bring some larger speakers...

And I will bring my just-tested-but-not-in-a-case-yet TPA3116 amp.

Not 24V supply, only 19.5 but it makes some good low end push.

Source would be via 3.5mm stereo connector unless something else is needed...let me know.

Love to hear the TPA3116 amp. I'll have a 300VA Plitron 2x24V transformer on the chip amp if you wanted to crank it up to 24V:rolleyes:

I did a quick inventory - looks like we have a good selection of gear.

In addition to the networking and sharing, we could maybe do a dac, chip amp and attenuator audition.

Totem speakers
Chip amp
Light speed attenuator
Odac/O2
Jfet boz
Ak 4396 dac
Transformer Attenuator
Behringer 4396 dac
Dyna sca35 clone
3 sets of phones
iPod classic source
Rotel cdp855 / 6np6 source
Cmp/cics player source
Dug speakers
Ikoflexer headphoneamp
Tpa3116 amp

Did I miss anything?

Also let the group know if you are looking for any specific DIY components etc

Last edited:
auditions

Jaimo
Looks like you have captured the list of gear being auditioned. I know I for one would really like to hear the difference in the amps and the lightspeed vs transformer attenuators.

We read all the hype, and we hear our own stuff (which always sounds great when you do it yourself), but I for one never have heard the characteristics of one vs the other.

I could imagine setting up a base system and running through the sources and attenuators on one amp/speaker set. Then I would be keen to lock down the source and compare amps. I would really like to hear my old faithful Peter Daniel chip amp vs the really interesting range of amps coming. I for one have never heard a SE tube amp before. Until recently, I had never heard a tube amp but now that I have them I'm loving it. I am really interested to hear the various presentation that different designs offer.

I am going to toss in an isolation transformer. To me DAC's and CD players open up the sound stage with a bit of power filtering and amps collapse with a filter. Let's see if that holds up!