Adelaide DIY hi-fi meetings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

This post isn’t about a get together … sorry.
But I’m looking for a local Adelaidian who can help me out with my beloved Sansui CA 3000 preamp. This is a beast ... and it sounds VERY good. However, it’s old and this model notoriously suffers from deteriorating solder joints on the pass throughs, resulting in one channel dropping in and out (in my case). The only real remedy is to resolder ALL of the 100 plus pass throughs! This is beyond my level of soldering skill ;)

Would any of you guys care to tackle this for me? Or have any recommendations of someone who could (or would)? It’s a painful job I know, but I need someone to take it on for me as this is a complicated preamp, worth a lot to replace these days and my skills aren’t up to the task!

Here’s a link to one brave soul who’s tackled this previously, so you can see what’s involved:
BA/CA-3000 fix rebuild | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Jason.

March AES meeting Adelaide

Hi All, The subject of the next meeting is film sound design presented by Wayne Pashley and Libby Villa of Big Bang Sound Design. They will talk about their planning methodology, and how they work with directors, producers, location recordists and sound post team to deliver results that will have you glued to the screen.

Some clips of their latest projects will be shown.

Note the early start time.

5.30 to 7.30pm, Tues 15th March 2016
SA Film Corp Studios
226 Fullarton Rd, Glenside

You MUST BOOK IN for the meeting by Monday 14th at
https://surveymonkey.com/r/BBS150316 Don't have to fill in stuff after you have clicked done.
Otherwise security will not let you in!

The committee are moving on to the Arkaba Hotel, 150 Glen Osmond Road, Fullarton, for a meal at 7.30pm. Others are welcome to join us.

Keith

April AES meeting Adelaide

Hi all, Next Generation Loudspeaker Data is the title of the presentation by our chairman, David Murphy. He has designed, and had built, a loudspeaker rotator that can position a large loudspeaker at any angle in 3D space.

Two computer controlled turntables allow the responses to be measured every 5 degrees over a half sphere. A complete routine can involve 1297 measurements and take about 3 hours.

Krix Loudspeakers
14 Chapman Road, Hackham, 5163
7.30pm Tuesday April 19th 2016

The committee will be having a counter tea from 6pm at the Woodcroft Tavern, corner Bains Road and Panalatinga Road. Guests are welcome to join us.

Keith

May AES meeting Adelaide

100 years of acoustic horns
Presented by Andrew Bayfield and David Murphy
7.30 pm, St Pauls Creative Centre
Cnr Flinders and Pultney St, Adelaide

Tuesday 17th May 2016

Andrew Bayfield happens to have a Western Electric 555 field coil compression driver dating from 1926. This has been coupled to a Vitavox cellular horn via an adaptor. This will be discussed, and the sounds it makes compared to a modern equivalent.

The committee will be having a counter tea from 6.00pm at the Wakefield Hotel, 76 Wakefield St. Others are welcome to join in.

Keith

July AES meeting

Hi Guys, Sorry, I clean forgot to post details of last months meeting.

This month we have Bob Charman talking about ribbon microphones including history, applications and repairs. He makes his own ribbons.

Bob has a recording business called Stockport Sound and is an analog person. He learned quite a bit from the late Graeme Cohen to whom the presentation is dedicated.

St Pauls Creative Centre
Cnr Flinders and Pulteney Streets
Adelaide
Tuesday 19th July 2016
7.30 pm

Having tea at the Wakefield Hotel from 6pm

Keith

Last edited:
August AES meeting Adelaide

Unfortunately last months meeting was not as advertised due to the presenter's car breaking down. This month we have "All you ever wanted to know about ribbon microphones" attempt #2

7.30pm, St Pauls Creative Centre
Cnr Flinders and Pulteney Sts, Adelaide
Tues 16th August 2016

The AES Cttee will be having counter tea at the Wakefield Hotel from 6pm.

Keith

Beolab90 speakers in Adelaide

Hi all

Not certain how many are still following this thread. Bang and Olufsen introduced a new flagship loudspeaker system in late 2015 and it was exhibited at the Chicago CES this year to great acclaim. I was thinking that they should be fairly widely distributed by now and indeed they are.

I went to B and O's only shop in SA at 82 King William Road, Hyde Park and had a listen to them for about 1 1/2 hours. If you do a search on "beolab90" there is plenty of information on them on the Bang and Olufsen Web site. Basically the design takes directivity control to a new level by means of 18 drivers per speaker, 18 switching power amps all controlled by a DSP engine.

I would have to rate them as the best system I have heard. Very timbrally neutral and smooth with no HF harshness/edginess what so ever. Capable of making some very big sounds. Plenty of recording venue sounds and very little sound that could be attributable to the listening room.

So not everyone is in the market for a $110,000 speaker system, but I think they powerfully point the way to what is important in advancing the art of speaker design. The sales guy Edward was very welcoming and when I mentioned that I was a member of the AES he suggested that he would be prepared to conduct a demonstration at a time of our choosing.

Well worth a listen.

Keith

October Adelaide AES meeting

Mathew Mazzone has been attending some meetings of late, and after letting us know about his interests he is going to do a presentation on digital audio in general with an emphasis on editing software including Ableton and Logic.

He will demonstrate the use of this software.

7.30 pm, St Pauls Creative Centre
Cnr Flinders and Pulteney Streets, Adelaide
Tuesday October 18th 2016

Visitors are welcome to join the Committee for a counter tea from 6pm at the Wakefield Hotel, 76 Wakefield St

Keith

November Adelaide AES meeting

AGM, followed by Vibro-acoustic analysis of Krix loudspeaker enclosures.

We are to get a briefing on a collaboration between Krix and the Mech. Eng faculty of the University of Adelaide. Four honours students spent a year measuring vibration on cabinet panels, measuring the polar responses in an anechoic chamber, and developed Finite Element Analysis and modal analysis models of the cabinets and internal bracing to see if there was an optimum configuration.

A new speaker design called Heretix 100 will be on display after recently being exhibited at the AV-Hifi show in Melbourne.

Krix Loudspeakers
14 Chapman Road, Hackham
7.30pm, Tuesday Nov 15th

The committee will be meeting at the Woodcroft Hotel cnr Bains and Panatalinga roads from 6pm

Keith

Hi Nusnud, There are some diy audio people in Adelaide, but maybe not a lot. I am among them, and have built some "slewmaster" power amps and Linkwitz design loudspeakers.

We find from attendances at AES meetings audio is quite a segmented subject where not everyone is interested in the same thing. If you are interested in learning there are some very competent people in the AES. In the current committee we have a practising speaker designer and a one time speaker designer. We also have people who record and do audio post production and others experienced in sound systems for "big gigs".

Are you familiar with the stereonet forums? There is a South Australian section where members sometimes organise gtg's Get To Gethers. I suspect that these people are in a younger age group than AES attendees.

Keith

Hi Nusnud,

A few years back we did try and get together a little more frequently, but it's difficult to maintain this on a regular basis unless people are happy to host get togethers in their homes, where we have access to a working setup. Having said that, my four way active horn system is up and running now, so if there's interest I can host something. But I do live down south a ways though, in Aldinga!

As I usually build all my own stuff and used to go to GTG all the time(USA) before then I moved to Adelaide. Seems to not happen near as much if at all. BUT where there is a will there is a way. I am just under 38yo so I am usually one of the younger ones who attend the AES meetings when I can. A lot goes over my head but I usually understand the basic concepts.

Stereonet tend to have most people from the Eastern states having GTG.:( I have tried to listen to a few members setups from that forum and never got to because of life. So as I said there are people out there if you dont mind waiting. I am slowly building a JBL AM7315 clone, MTG 2way design, pair of DSL TH50 clone subs and a Skhorn design from Ricci. Just waiting on parts to finally arrive to get started. Should be done in about a month. I wish it could be by Australia day but probably not going to happen. Akthough I might get the 2ways done. HHmmmm.....

It would be good to have some regular GTG's or more have people to share talk to that are closer that the Easterns. My self I'm embarking on one of Trovles designs 'SP95' started the CAD work for the curved cabinets so i can start cutting the layers. Choosing to created them from stacked layers of MDF.

It would be good to have some regular GTG's or more have people to share talk to that are closer that the Easterns. My self I'm embarking on one of Trovles designs 'SP95' started the CAD work for the curved cabinets so i can start cutting the layers. Choosing to created them from stacked layers of MDF.

SO that means you have a CNC?:D

Just curious. The SP95 looks like a nice design. It will definitely go lower than my simple 2 way design. Although I do have subs.:D

Would also be curious what your 4way horn design sounds like Lowpoke.

SO that means you have a CNC?:D

HAHA I wish, I'm moving house and there will be no room for my Jupiters anymore so I decided to replace with a full scale build this time and move out of just little bookshelf and Coaxial speakers.

Ill get the layers CNC at a local and then assemble.

I have chosen the SP95 cause it has a "Upgrade Path" to the Ekta Grande which have a nice size for the new house.

HAHA I wish, I'm moving house and there will be no room for my Jupiters anymore so I decided to replace with a full scale build this time and move out of just little bookshelf and Coaxial speakers.

Ill get the layers CNC at a local and then assemble.

I have chosen the SP95 cause it has a "Upgrade Path" to the Ekta Grande which have a nice size for the new house.

Well please let me know what it costs to have your parts CNC'd. I looked at possibly having a few subwoofers CNC'd but fear the price it may be.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.