The Burning Amp 2011-Schedules & Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This is a thread to get the logistics worked out for Burning Amp Festival 2011
which takes place October 1st, 2011. Any discussions, assignments and notifications regarding
this year's BAF should be in this thread.

I'll put up the available rooms in another post here.

General talk about Burning Amp Festival and how great it is should remain in the Main thread here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-events/106844-burning-amp-festival-audio-happening.html

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
UPDATED September 26, 2011 ... Bring Your stuff even if you don't sign up here!

OK, info on the rooms available. There will be the Big Room plus FIVE demo rooms!

The Big Room: C260
This is the room we used for presentations last year. This year it will be used again for the presentations, but also be used for the Beer(!), the drawings for parts, headphone amp auditions, and manufacturer's tables. All these operations will be shut down during presentations.

1. Douglas Self Presentation
2. Nelson Pass Presentation
3. Linear Systems tables
4. Tasty Snacks courtesy of Audio Xpress & Elektor
5. Headphone Tables: amb: β22 amplifier, Sennheiser HD800, HD600, HD580 and PX100 headphones, laptop computer with music, Countzero: Cavalli EHHA hybrid headphone amp with AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player
6. Amp Testing table - Harmonic Distortion tested by: testguy
7. Linear Audio BookMag table
8. Audio Xpress & Elektor table
9. Other manufacturer's tables
10. Raffle/Auction
11. Refreshments & Food

The Tesla Room: (26'x 34') Systems on each end of the room, which will alternate and swap in different components. This room is for more high powered, probably solid state amps with large multi-way loudspeakers.

One End:
Sources: CharlieLaub: Sony CDP-XA20ES, Zero Cool: Twisted Pear DAC, davygrvy: Several output stages for the TP DAC
Preamps: Janneman: PGA2320-based remote preamp, syyma: 12B4A grounded cathode preamp
Amplifiers: CharlieLaub: multi-amps, boywonder: 300B TubeLab SE and/or EL34 MM amps, Paul Pacini: PowerPhysics A154 Class-D amp
Loudspeakers: CharlieLaub: Three Way multi-amped Modular Loudspeakers & other speakers, davidespinosa: Three Way Linkwitz Pluto omnis & Linkwitz Thor subs w/MiniDSP 2x6 crossover (digital & analog inputs)

Other End:
Sources: 1audio: Auraliti PK100 file player, Doug Tuthill: Turntable, rjkdivin: source
Preamps:syyma: 6BQ7 cathode follower, Tom Holman: Apt Holman Preamp, rjkdivin: preamp
Amplifiers: TerryG: Spud amplifier sold by Hawthorne Audio, jblast: K-16LS Tube Amp, rjkdivin: Luxman M-02 amps (Pair)
Loudspeakers: TerryG: Hawthorne Audio SI, Hawthorne Audio Augies, Benchtester: Seas DXT with Zaph 14W mid-woofer, wrenchone:Tritrix

The Hertz Room: (26'x 34') Systems on each end of the room, which will alternate and swap in different components. This room is more for horn and high efficiency systems on one end, with appropriate amps. Vinyl emphasized. Siegfried Linkwitz Orion system by Wood Artistry on the other end

One End:
Sources: TBA
Preamps: TBA
Amplifiers: TBA
Loudspeakers: Linkwitz Orion by Wood Artistry

Other End:
Sources: berndt: Wonderful Vinyl Machine
Preamps: berndt: TBA
Amplifiers: berndt: Randall Amp, n-brock: First Watt F-3, KoHo: Single ended 45 amps,
Loudspeakers: berndt: Jazz Module Speakers, KoHo: Hedlund Field coil horns

The Pass Pub: (about 26' long with one end 32' wide other end about 13' wide) Will feature items brought by Nelson Pass, Clone components of Pass designs, and projects inspired by Pass designs. All of which which will alternated and swapped.

Components:
Sources: TBD
Preamps: Pass Labs
Amplifiers: Nelson Pass: Beast of a Thousand JFETS!, Various First Watt, wrenchone: Half Nelson + other amps
Loudspeakers: PassDIY: Slot Loaded Open Baffles

The DeForest Room: (15' x 26' ) Low power, and small speakers. One system with components swapped in.

Components:
Guitar amps! Waveborn: Tube Guitar Amps!, Guitar
Sources: 1audio: Auraliti PK100 file player, dtut: turntable
Preamps: slomatt: Bottlehead Foreplay Preamp, Tuthill Friend: Remote Preamp
Amplifiers: Dagerman: a couple of Tubelab amps, jblast: Wire Hell amp, wayne: El84 scrap parts amplifier
Loudspeakers: slomatt:Grand Pops loudspeakers, boywonder: Fostex 207e Half Changs

The Volta Room: (26'x 32') Systems on each end of the room, which will alternate and swap in different components. Medium power amps, tube or solid state, mostly digital sources, with larger loudspeakers.

One End:
Sources: zodiac: Possibly a Bryston BDP-1, amb: γ2 DAC, Gary B: Thorens Turntable & Pass Ono Phono Stage
Preamps: amb: α10 preamp, Gary B: FET 10e Threshold Preamp
Amplifiers: amb:β24 power amp, DHTriode push pull amp, rjkdivin: EL-84 based integrated tube amp
Loudspeakers: n-brock: NHT 2.1 Prototype, Gary B: Altec 755C full range drivers in boxes

Other End:
Sources: Zodiac: DEQX HDP3 powered by a Mac Mini, slomatt: Marantz DR 6000 CD rjkdivin: Source
Preamps: Variac: Yanigar SY Impasse, rjkdivin: Preamp
Amplifiers:Variac: 2 Balanced F-4 clones, dagerman: SSE with KT88
Loudspeakers: Variac: Basszilla speakers, benchtester: wave guide Scan-Speak driver speakers

I'm open to suggestions regarding these divisions. Feel free to post to request a room, listing what you'll bring, and/or to volunteer. I'll edit the posts into list of persons and equipment since I have editing powers..

We'll need lots of volunteers this year. One Marshall for each room minimum,preferably two, plus my posse who swarm over any problem and solve it.. and you get a red shirt! Please post again here even if you've already mentioned your availability and what you can bring.

VOLUNTEERS:

berndt
mlise
jblast
dagerman
boywonder
n-brock
magnoman

Mark
"Variac"

Last edited:
Would like spot in the Tesla room

I am planning on bringing a large, "modular" 3-way active loudspeaker that I am currently building. Judging from your descriptions of the various rooms, it looks like this would best fit in to the Tesla room.

Will reservations for spots in the room be formalized at some point???

-Charlie

I have just started building amps and really don't have anything to bring other than my time to help with whatever you need help with (I am sure you don't need to look at another Tubelab SimpleSE...).
It would be great to be a part of it in some way or other, or just as a paying visitor; although I understand that's not really what this is all about.

Let me know if you need any help and what kind. I am local (OAK). Also, I don't see the event on the Fort Mason calendar for October 1st this year? Maybe it is a secret location.....? All links point to last year's info.

Anyway, that's my offer so I can get in on the fun. Just PM me.

Stefan

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am sure you don't need to look at another Tubelab SimpleSE...).
It would be great to be a part of it in some way or other, or just as a paying visitor; although I understand that's not really what this is all about.

Let me know if you need any help and what kind.
Stefan

Well, I've never HEARD a Tubelab Simple SE. If yours is functional tell me and I'll assign you to a room. what output transformers are you using?

We certainly need help. We'll be having a barbeque get-together for volunteers soon to get everyone on the same page..

Mark

Hi Mark: As noted, I'm in for volunteering (looks like I'm already on the list), and I can bring my 300B TubeLab SE and/or my Poindexter EL34 MM monoblocks and/or a pair of Fostex 207e Half Changs.

I brought the MM monoblocks last year but one had a bias circuit problem and never made it to the audition......

The volunteer BBQ will be too far of a drive for me...............................

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
what time does BA usually end on saturday?

Well its the first time we've been on a Saturday. Other years it was a Sunday. I'm excited about that! But to answer your question, we start packing up at 7PM. By then the excitement has usually died down, but this year we'll have BEER again, so people may well stick around. We have to be out by 8..

Well, I've never HEARD a Tubelab Simple SE. If yours is functional tell me and I'll assign you to a room. what output transformers are you using?

We certainly need help. We'll be having a barbeque get-together for volunteers soon to get everyone on the same page..

Mark

It's functional and uses UBT-2 OPT's with 4/8 Ohm speaker option. I'll ask the current owner if he would give it up for a day (or just build another one before Oct. 1st.... :D )

It's functional and uses UBT-2 OPT's with 4/8 Ohm speaker option. I'll ask the current owner if he would give it up for a day (or just build another one before Oct. 1st.... :D )

I may also be able to bring my 300B Tubelab SE with UBT-3 (or Transcendar) OPTs. Finished today on the breadboard, having at least a temporary enclosure by 10/1 should be in the cards. Just let me know if that would be of interest.
Stefan

Status
Not open for further replies.