The Burning Amp 2011-Schedules & Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are a huge help and I would love to hear the Scott "blast from the Past!" so bring them! : "a pretty good turntable & phono pre and a pair of HH Scott 240 Laboratory amplifiers"

Maybe the "PaintStrippers in the Big Room in case we decide to rock out there in the afternoon. Assuming you think they sound pretty good. but I suspect they aren't easy to transport!
Markl[/QUOTE]

Transport isn't so much of a problem. They're light and cheap, but a little awkward. I have an F250 if anyone else on the peninsula or SJ needs transport for furniture items. Any other gear you're shopping for?

M

Slo bbq'd brisket on my DIY ghetto q. Using wood.
616 grand avenue, ssf, 94080
Be nice if you brought a dish to pass. Let's start the BA party early.
Be great to get new blood, no experience necessary. Just bring your enthusiasm.
Looking forward to being part of a making BA more fun for everyone.

Planning on joining Saturday and wondering what kind of dish would be good to bring. More meat to toss on the BBQ, salad, some corn on the cob, dessert?
Any preferences/requests? Otherwise I will just bring SOMEthing.
Stefan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Remote level stuff

Phew! Finished my 4-way stereo remote level control just now. All software wrinkles gone (I hope...).
So I like to bring it to BA.
If there is anyone needing a level control at his power amps or active speakers that you can use from the listening position, you can use my unit.

There are two little boxes that each contain a 4-way level control. Then there's a small pre-amp-type control box that you use from the listening postion as a remote. The remote is through RF so that's why you see the little antennae.

You can of course change the overall volume and balance.
But, you can also offset the individual levels for each of the 4 ways, so you can compensate for different power amp sensitivities. If you use it for an up to 4-way active speaker, you can also compensate for different speaker sensitivities. Of course, the different level offsets are maintained when you change volume or balance.

It's pretty versatile and I'd really like to try it out on someone's system!

jan didden

Attachments

• system 196k.JPG
    system 196k.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 287
Hi all,

I was encourage to post here and report what things I plan on bringing to Burning amp. I do not know which room my stuff will likely fit into, so a little direction there is requested.

What I am going to bring is several Hawthorne Audio products.

1) The Hawthorne Audio SI's. These are 15" coaxial drivers, a compression horn driver and specially made Emminence woofer. These drivers are made for open baffle applications and will be mounted in small flat baffles.

2) The Hawthorne Audio Augies. These are 15" woofers made for open baffle sub woofer frequencies. They will be actively crossed over around 90Hz, driven by a 250 watt Parts Express plate amp.

3) The Spud amplifier that is sold on the Hawthorne Audio website by Jerry Curtis. These come in kits and the one I am bringing is modified from the original kit. This is a single gain stage single ended pentode amplifier, and sounds differently than a single ended triode but similar. It will be driving the SI's full range with Augies adding bass frequencies below 100Hz.

Hawthorne Audio is all about providing DIY'rs the components to make their own system. But if you don't have the skills or tools you can buy speakers custom made by them, and get a Spud kit built by Jerry.

So which room at BA will this system fit?

I am also bringing a single gain stage preamp of my own design using the 6H30P-DR tube, a separate opto-coupler volume control, and a CDP that I have modified and continue to modify as I come up with ideas. It has a tube buffer output.

Like most DIY'rs I have so many things here I have made, not all I am proud of, but I have learned from all of them. I could bring my test bed amp, that I use to test tube circuits, a sort of bread board set up, ugly but practical for its purpose. I could put together practically any circuit in it using B+ voltages below 500v.

Terry

Last edited:
Variac, Benrdt

I thought it might be worth mentioning that during the same weekend as Burning Amp SanFrancisco will also be hosting it's annual, free, Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival, in Golden Gate park. I think the multiple stage lineups are available on-line. Lots of music lovers there, too many for my liking.

Also I plan on coming to the volunteer BBQ tomorrow.
Looking forward to meeting all of you.
-Antonio

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Tomorrow at noon! 616 grand avenue, South San Francisco, 94080

Magnoman and anyone else coming:

Bill has BBQ brisket
I'm bringing my tasty black beans and probably a salad.

It would be a help to have people come so we can discuss what needs to be done. Of course to volunteer, all you have to do is show up at 9am at BAF.
This is more of a planning meeting, but more input is better!

Mark

Address below:

Slo bbq'd brisket on my DIY ghetto q. Using wood.
616 grand avenue, ssf, 94080
Be nice if you brought a dish to pass. Let's start the BA party early.
Be great to get new blood, no experience necessary. Just bring your enthusiasm.
Looking forward to being part of a making BA more fun for everyone.

I've offered to demonstrate my 1kHz sine wave test oscillator to measure the harmonic distortion of equipment brought to the show. Specs: 14Vpp at 1ppm THD. I'll also bring a spectrum analyzer, scope, and notch filter, so individual harmonics and noise vs. frequency can be measured. Mark Cronander has suggested I be set up near the Linear Systems room. I'll try to log on again, soon, to answer questions, or I can be reached at jeffsmithhere@hotmail.com.

Will be coming .

Ok, I finally have the tickets in my hand ! So look forward to meeting you all on the 1st. News about the Bluegrass show is great! I've never been to one before and I like Bluegrass.

I have some bits and pieces like an ordinary tube preamp with ss follower headphone amp. It still has no enclosure and so unless I can rig that up in a hurry I can't bring it. Nothing great but would be interested to see how it fares with all the great stuff you guys have been making.
But being there is more important for me!:)
Cheers,
Ashok.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes but not sure of the price. I do think the price is reduced somewhat, and no shipping charge!

Also complimentary copies of Audio Xpress, and Elektor, some subscriptions to each for the raffle, as well as coffee, bagels and snacks provided by same. Audio Xpress is now owned by Elektor.

Status
Not open for further replies.