Winter DIY OTTAWA MEET

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Gents.

This is the first post for the formation of the winter DIY Ottawa meet.

We had a great meeting today. Some new gentlemen and some old.

A great deal was discussed so some of it can be started off with a proposed date.

Mark

Attachments

• DIY Ottaw Winter (Large).JPG
    DIY Ottaw Winter (Large).JPG
    59 KB · Views: 461
OK Folks, the Ottawa Winter DIY Meet is a go for Sunday January 23rd 2011 at The General Burns Community Centre.

It is the same location we used for our first meet back in June 2010. For those that were not there in June (or can't remember how to get back there), the address is 86 Argue Dr. It is located in the Fisher Glen area. It can be accessed from Fisher Ave. via Normandy Cres. or from Meadowlands Dr. E. via Chesterton Dr. to Charkay St. to Seymour Ave.

We are asking that each participant donates $10 toward the cost of the hall rental. Any surplus will be used for future events.

We have members that have offered to bring and operate measuring gear. Because the set up and taking of actual measurements can be a time consuming process we have the option of using the hall on the Saturday prior (22nd) also. In order to get a handle on whether we would need/like to make this a two day event I'm starting a list.

Please let us know, by posting in this thread as soon as possible, the following:

1. if you plan to attend,

2. what gear you would like to demo

3. if you would like to be involved in measuring any gear

I will update the list as people post.

Even if you have nothing to demo, come on out. Just bring your enthusiasm for DIY. That's good enough. If you have a desire to hear something specific, mention it. There may be someone that can bring that type of gear. If you have some gear you would like an opinion on, bring it. Even if it is commercial but you're looking to update/rebuild/improve it. You most likely will find an opinion or two that may prove useful.

I would like to see participation for this meet double the first one. We have lot's of room. We only used half of it last time!

I'll start.

The List

1. Rick (ripcard)---Bringing CSS Quartet 15 Sub-woofer, DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 (EQ for subs) and home built 8" Vifa two-way vented speakers of unknown origin for evaluation.
Would like to measure sub-woofer.

Please see post #5 in this thread for details of meet.

The List (updated 12/15/10)

1. Rick (ripcard)---Bringing CSS Quartet 15 Sub-woofer, DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 (EQ for subs) and home built 8" Vifa two-way vented speakers of unknown origin for evaluation.

2. ? (gabdx)---I will demo a tda1541 dac from analogmetric, I will need a transport/amp/ speakers for that.

3. Mark (mwmkravchenko)---CBT line array with integrated dual 8" front loaded horn. 4, count them 4 subwoofers. All with the same driver complement (2 pcs Exodus Audio Anarchy 6 1/2").Front loaded, Tapped Horn, Vented, and Unhorn. You guys get to listen to them all and judge for yourselves what is what.

4. Pierre (PierreQuiRoule)---Will bring amps this time. What types will be a surprise. I'll pass on measurements this time. I rather get in the mood for listening and enjoying good company :).

1. I will be there;. Look for the guy with bells on.

2. what gear you would like to demo: passive pre-amp (a bit different than the usual) if there's time. A simple 2 way, if there's time.

3. if you would like to be involved in measuring any gear: yes. Mark and I discussing speaker measurement gear off-line.

Dave Dal Farra

Please see post #5 in this thread for details of meet.

The List (updated 12/16/10)

2. ? (gabdx)---I will demo a tda1541 dac from analogmetric, I will need a transport/amp/ speakers for that.

3. Mark (mwmkravchenko)---CBT line array with integrated dual 8" front loaded horn. 4, count them 4 subwoofers. All with the same driver complement (2 pcs Exodus Audio Anarchy 6 1/2").Front loaded, Tapped Horn, Vented, and Unhorn. You guys get to listen to them all and judge for yourselves what is what.

4. Pierre (PierreQuiRoule)---Will bring amps this time. What types will be a surprise. I'll pass on measurements this time. I rather get in the mood for listening and enjoying good company :).

5. Dave (DDF)---Look for the guy with bells on. Demo: passive pre-amp (a bit different than the usual) if there's time. A simple 2 way, if there's time. Mark and I have been discussing speaker measurement gear off-line.

6. Tony (Tony D)---I would like to attend also, $10 isn't a problem unfortunately I don't have anything to demo yet. Sorry guys.

7. Normand (normand)I am new to this group but very curious about what is going on. I would like very much to attend.

I've been checking the posts & it looks like this is going to be pretty interesting, but I also realized that I never got around to confirming my attendance. So I plan to be there, and my son might also attend (he's 17 years old & I grabbed his interest by mentioning the subwoofer line-up that Mark is bringing). I've recently shared the link with a couple of audio buddies, so perhaps they'll join us.
I'm not likely bringing any equipment this time.

The sub-woofer shoot-out is interesting, because I've wondered about comparative sound for the various designs. I'm also looking forward to hearing that microFonken, and so on.

Just curious - at one time, I think there was a proposal to include a little "instruction" time, and I was looking forward to (if my memory is correct) Owen talking about SMPS. I didn't happen to notice anything like that in the synopsis, so I'm wondering if that is still being considered?

Way to go, guys!
- Ron

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.