Ottawa and Area DIY Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well it starts with a meeting. Ten two.

It may actually be official now. So this is hopefully the first post in a great many more in the DIY Ottawa thread.

Any and all welcome. You don't need a big system or tons of stuff to show off. You need an interest in talking about audio and listening to equipment that makes the music.

Those that have met up to now are a great bunch of guys from many disciplines. We have great resources available and I think a good spirit of helping and aiding others in their DIY audio endeavors.

So come on join in and lets listen to some music!

Mark

Ottawa DIY Fest Planning

Hi, Mark. I agree that "Clubs and Events" is the best forum for planning and promotion of an Ottawa area DIY Fest. There seem to be 125 related posts elsewhere in DIYAudio, so there is a challenge in migrating the thread.

The use of a community centre, such as the General Burns Community Centre (GBCC), is ideal. A few years ago a fellow Leakie put together a LeakFest in a similar facility at Maitland, On. and it was a blast. Participants arrived from Toronto and New York state, due to proximity to the 401.

By all appearances, GBCC has easy access for gear (ramps are always good for heavy gear). This may seem a small detail but it is critical, as has been shown time and again when setting up the Ottawa Vintage Radio Club meetings and auctions (see ovrc.org). Old console radios are very heavy and boatanchors are aptly named.

Are you aware of any actual experience in booking this facility? Good locations are hard to come by and advance planning (sometime years in advance) is critical.

Barry
Ottawa

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Are you aware of any actual experience in booking this facility? Good locations are hard to come by and advance planning (sometime years in advance) is critical.

Barry
Ottawa

Hello Barry

I've already contacted the association to enquire on this facility, and it is available most weekends. Since the president of the association happens to know me, and I live in the neighbourhood, it would be easy for me to be the point of contact for this venue.

Cheers - Pierre

Wel the event went off with great gusto. We even had a visit from the muffin man AKA Pierre! Thanks for the muffins and water.

THe equipment was top notch. The sounds were great and the motley crew was there. I think all of the designs sounded good. Rick's two way and three way were beautifully finished and sounded great. Pierres 2 way system was very clean and articulate. Owen's line array was very impressive to. Nice balance and clarity. An almost effortless type of sound.

Can't wait for the next one.

Rick won the TRIO 12 in a draw. Now he has to build yet another sub-woofer!

There's a pic of the guys in deep thought listening to Owen's Line arrays. And all of us with the horn loaded sub.

Mark

Attachments

• IMAG0145 (Large).jpg
    IMAG0145 (Large).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMAG0142 (Large).jpg
    IMAG0142 (Large).jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMAG0147 (Large).jpg
    IMAG0147 (Large).jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 153
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.