7th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2010

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is now actually lawn back there... Chris' wife decided he was going to put in a patio... we transported that op to the mountain. Hopefully i'll be able to get it a little less franken-ish by aug. We also scored a 27' travel trailer... we are taking reservations.

dave

Dave,

What's the "project" for this event? I have to say that the "Chicken Coop" was a memorable experience, what with Chris and going crazy with his Crowbar, etc.
:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

I think I might make it out this Year .... I actually Live 20 Minutes from Daves and was there a few times a few years ago but I"m just so danm lazy I find it hard to get out of my workshop but this year I think I"ll make it ....

See Ya there !!!

I think I know what you mean. I have trouble getting into my workshop and live in constant fear that if I can even get in, I'll be buried alive if there's a cave-in. I guess I'll have to organize things better.

Best Regards,
TerryO

This all sounds delightfully inviting, but what is the return cab fare to the next hotel?

It's not the cab fare to the hotel you have to worry about. It's the cab fare that takes you all over Vancouver Island to figure out where the heck you parked your car the night before... :)

Would bringing a small tent or bivy sack and crashing in the backyard be an option? It is the Pac NW after all...

~Tom

save some floor/camping space for me....

and the missus.

Depending on our mode of transport, that is. If we drive out, we need to bring some stuff with us.

What shall I bring (any recommendations)?

Handy stuff to bring would be :
  1. YBA iDW1 iPod dock (for any that have music on any model of iPod, and easy integration with audio systems)
  2. Nuforce Icon digital amp/USB DAC/headphone amp
  3. Nuforce Icon Mobile headphone amp/dac
  4. perhaps the Demetris
  5. the Milevas, unless through a miracle I can sell them (they belong to Dave and Chris)
  6. camping gear
  7. Moray if he decides he can come
  8. and?

Anything else folks might think of? Altec Model7 loudspeakers? (I know a perfect home for these). Old Dynacos? Maybe my JE Labs OBs (actually Stereo Sound "Tube Kingdom" designed) ?(less drivers if you prefer and if I can fit them in the old car). The mini OBs?

I may have a real job to go to starting next week, but should still be able to make it, as I'll negotiate this prior to accepting any job.

If any want arrow shafts, bearings etc, I can get some for a few diy tonearms to be constructed at the 'fest. Only thing that would be required by any that want one would be:
  • tonearm wire, preferably recycled mouse wire, or similar. Length to be determined by builder, 3 ft minimum, 5 wire or suitable length
  • some sort of cartridge connectors (Radio Shack 15-Position HD Female Solder D-Sub Connector, Model: 276-1502 | Catalog #: 276-1502), these are suitable for DIY cartridge connectors
  • a counter weight from a buggered tonearm (I'll get some kind of weight range posted)
  • some sort of headshell. I'll bring some dowels, or if chrisb can machine some at work that would fit the arrow shafts exactly...(and a knife or mini-plane for whittlin as per Jed Clampett). I'll bring a few "hacks", but I'm sure others can do better.
  • a pair of female RCA connectors (or a pair of Male RCA connectors if a direct connection to a phono stage is desired).
  • perhaps a small contribution to offset some of the costs. I can't imagine using more than CAD$4 or $5 per arm
  • some smelling salts to allow those who can't believe what they hear and faint :)

What I'll Bring:
  • arrow shafts, drilled to accept the bearing, and allow exit of tonearm wires, the rear of the arm will have a threaded insert/nut and machine screw installed to allow adjustment of the counter-weight.
  • a few washers that could be used with counterweights if more weigh is required to balance the arm
  • a few hockey pucks to mount the bearing pivot to for ease of installation on any turntable, or bring their own
  • hardwood dowels to be used to make headshells
  • a whittlin knife, chisel and/or a mini plane for headshell fabrication. I may make a few to bring, but anything chrisb or JesseG may do would be so much superior. If any want the rough dimensions for this, I'll gladly post it, so that any may "pre-make" the headshell.

And Dave needs to provide the following:
  • about an hour for the "workshop" and a place to do the "workshop"
  • an additional hour for listening tests, and open discussion. I think I need to bring out a new construction turntable or my trusty Sugden Connoisseur re-plinth project. Either would be suitable to demonstrate the tone arms.
  • use of a suitable system and phono stage for use during listening tests
  • perhaps some of his world renowned coffee for consumption

Let me know what anyone thinks. Any that want arms should email me or PM me so that I bring enough, including the hockey puck mount. About a week's notice is required, as I most likely will start out days prior to the 'fest.

Hope to see you all there

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It will be good to see you.

I'm sure we can accomodate your needs. I know for one, that Bernie will be very interested in the tonearm seminar.

Bring your GF 300B if you want to get it fixed. And maybe the 6BM8 (and a bribe for Daniel) if you'd like him to put some TLS into it.

The earlier you get here the more fun we can have.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.