Southern Ontario diyFEST

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyFEST

Here are the pics
Thank you Andrew for having us over(and feeding us). There was four of us, Bart, Andrew, Deitrich and myself. Nice talking about speakers and stuff, looked at Andrews shop, drooled over his speakers but didn't make a mess. Clean effortless sound, it's what horns that are engineered and well build do. Nice work Andrew. Nice tubes to drive them also. With such high efficient speakers not much power is needed. The angle speakers were fantastic! Like a piece of art and the sound was amazing.
PeterC.

Attachments

• DSC00264-.jpg
    DSC00264-.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC00283-.jpg
    DSC00283-.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC00284-.jpg
    DSC00284-.jpg
    894 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC00287-.jpg
    DSC00287-.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC00286-.jpg
    DSC00286-.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC00285-.jpg
    DSC00285-.jpg
    648.4 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC00288-.jpg
    DSC00288-.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00290-.jpg
    DSC00290-.jpg
    711.4 KB · Views: 68
EPI microtower M75

Thank you Andrew for testing the M75's for me. Pretty good measurements for such cheap speakers. They were build in the 70's and cost $200. I did one mod. As they were, there is one speaker in the front and one on the back. I removed one speaker and mounted on top of the cab. Then I covered the hole with a removable cover. When I first got them I was not happy with the sound. Now they seem to be a bit better. Planet 10 has plans that are similar to the EPI build. As quoted from planet 10 plans.

"Back in the early '70s while going to University, a group of us hung out at a hifi shop
that sold EPI. EPI's were the 2nd store-bought speakers I owned. The miniTower was
always my favorite. While discussing a tribute to the miniTower to showcase some
drivers we had around, Chris (he used to selll EPIs) suggested that the Mark Audio
CHR-70 or CSS EL70 might make a good microTower (probably the most fun EPI and a
runaway best seller). The microTower was a push-push end-loaded TL. I consulted Scott
Lindgren about the feasibility of squeezing 2 CHR or 2 EL70 into a microTower size
ML-TL. Ours ended up a bit taller, but is otherwise faithful. Bass should extend to the
mid-40s."
Here are the pics Andrew sent me of the test results. Thank you again Andrew.
PeterC.

Attachments

• EPI m75 imp-.jpg
    EPI m75 imp-.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 85
  • EPI m75 mls-.jpg
    EPI m75 mls-.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 51
  • EPI m75 wtf-.jpg
    EPI m75 wtf-.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 58
thanks guy's for dropping in last weekend, It was great to talk speakers with you all and share some idea's,The EPI's were a pleasent surprise and sounded quite good,surprising what a pair or 4.5inch drivers can do. thanks for bringing them Peter, and thanks Dieter for the audition of your speakers too.
cheers
Andrew

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Fellas,
Well, I missed that one. I'm looking forward to some more get togethers once the weather warms up I guess. Sounds like Andrew's party went over well, and I was hopeful that John might have hosted one as well. Maybe next spring / summer.

These events are fantastic for meeting people with similar interests. I can't say enough positive things about the work our two hosts have put in so far.

-Chris

Hi Fellas,
Well, I missed that one. I'm looking forward to some more get togethers once the weather warms up I guess. Sounds like Andrew's party went over well, and I was hopeful that John might have hosted one as well. Maybe next spring / summer.

These events are fantastic for meeting people with similar interests. I can't say enough positive things about the work our two hosts have put in so far.

-Chris

I missed the last one too due to some unforeseen circumstances. Yeah, I cannot agree more, these gethering are really great. Really looking forward to the next one. I remembered John hosted one meeting some years ago in January/February and it got "snowed out", kind of.

Lo-tse

Hi Fellas,

-Chris

Thanks Chris, yes missed you at the meet, Im sure there will be more. Have a Merry christmas to all...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, it's a new year and warm weather is off in the distance. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again.

I think John was intending to host another event - I'd like that. Most of you seem to be into speaker systems with a few people working on electronic equipment. Lot's to investigate.

What would you say that we "pop the hood" on a few things and discuss how the build was approached? It would be a learning experience for some of us, and just maybe demystify the idea of building equipment. It would not be a critique at all, and no one should feel badly about their build. Look at it this way, at the very least you did construct something with your hands, and it works. Even if something doesn't work, other eyes might just solve the problem.

-Chris

Hi Anatec, sure if there is another event i would like to attend,again, the last events were fun and made some fast freinds with like interests. love to see any new developments on equipment and such. Dieter and i have been working togeter on some projects since meeting at John's,so the club has been very helpfull, many thanks to the organizers.Cheers

Hi, Guys

How is everyone doing? Summer is upon us already. Everyone is probably busy with their BBQ stove cooking bugers and taking out of town trips since the kids are out of school now. May be we should also plan a get together sometime before the summer ends?

Regards,

Lo_tse

Bump,bump any new news ? Im working on some piano black studio monitors. Id really like for someone else to listen to them and give an objective evaluation of what's missing. Mind you this will be my fist pair with passive x-overs and I haven't even started the x-overs yet. Anyways hopefully we can all get together this spring.

Bump,bump any new news ? Im working on some piano black studio monitors. Id really like for someone else to listen to them and give an objective evaluation of what's missing. Mind you this will be my fist pair with passive x-overs and I haven't even started the x-overs yet. Anyways hopefully we can all get together this spring.

Top Shelf

I think most people that used to follow this thread had "disappeared".
Try posting in the "Greater Toronto Area DIY Meet" thread.

Regards,

So are there any clubs or meetings anywhere say from Toronto down to Windsor? If not are the any hard core DIYers (especially for speakers and TT's) that don't mind having a newbie stop by to see their projects and maybe help them with pointers for initial projects of their own?

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.