Southern Ontario diyFEST

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AudioLapDance,

Sorry but as it has changed from a meet and greet lunch to a hardware show, I am reconsidering attending. I would have dragged my butt down to meet people and talk to them. I had to be near the restaurant that day anyway, and the restaurant food looked interesting. All the stars lined up for that one. I understand that people were still deciding what to do and things can change. The new plan does not have the stars quite so well aligned and I'm not a big fan hardware shows. Sorry, but I expect you will have to count me out. I do hope you all have fun.

Thanks
Jim

Hey:

anatech
JimT
mill23bay
Top Shelf
454Casull??
driftwood??
jpechloe
thefragger
rcavictim

Do you guys have PayPal? If so, send $10 CND to raypalmer at:

Hawks In Finland Inhabit Withered Elms So Th@ Gulls Must Angle In Leagues . Common Option Mainstay

If not, post and we'll cover for ya.

Let's get this dog barking!

Cheers,
Jeff

UPDATE:

As of now mill23, Lapdance and Jaimo have endorsed this meet. I have spoken with Jaimo and I'm moving on reserving the Hall. Obviously the man I need to speak to is not reachable today but assuming no one has plucked the hall out from under us in the past few days everything should be good.

I am shooting the rent the hall for Saturday the 27th in the afternoon. Obviously if evening is all I can get it will be for the evening.

If however the 27th is a no-go I'm going to go ahead and try for the 28th (Sunday) in the afternoon.

If anyone has any concerns about any of this please post it here or PM me.

With regards to the meet. Jaimo has pointed out it might help to see who wants to bring/see what.

Jaimo has some P.A. Horns which could be used as a high-sensitivity reference pair.

I have:
-Remote Controlled Passive Linestage (see JD50)
-One pair of BR Floorstanders that are embarassingly poorly finished:(
-LM3886 Monoblocks
-A Pro-Ject Xpression III
-And if absolutely needed I can bring my phonostage but it is quite bland.

I also have an interesting little turret board for a tube amp I'm halfway through.

Also, is there interest in having a little swapmeet? I do have a few bits and pieces lying about.

So if there's anything you want to show please let us know! If you don't have anything don't worry it doesn't matter!

diyFEST

I'm ok with a swap meet, I have stuff to trade or sell. Sat. or Sun. is fine with me. I have a Crown IC150A that has been recapped and OP amps changed out, a old Crown D60, and a pair of Advent with Legend woofers for a "let me know what it sounds like" listening test. For a cd player, I have a walkman type to play some tunes. Cheap but it may sound ok.
Peter C.

Okay big update here. I spoke with the man from the Navy Hall. ...And I should point out that he seems very old and always has the television up very loud in the background... Anyway there is still an opening for the evening on the 27th but the other section of the hall has a function with a DJ. He said it wouldn't be very loud, but then when I explained what we would be doing he seemed less sure.

The Sunday of the 28th there's something... I couldn't catch what so we can't go then.

I didn't book it just yet because I'm thinking noise pollution is potentially a dealbreaker.

Question, should we forge ahead or should we push the date back?

Hmmm ... that sounds like a deal breaker! :(

I take it the other section of the hall isn't acoustically isolated from our side. Crud, can't do much auditioning with D.J. sound spilling in ...
Those are my thoughts, others can chime in ...

If we cancel the Gear Listening Session I'd still be up for the original Lunch and Solder Burns Stories (and maybe some visual showing off of diy gear)

What say the others ...

Cheers,
Jeff

Southern Ontario Diyfest

Under the circumstances it is probably better to find a new venue and postpone the get together to an other date, as it turned out I was at this point not able to attend because my better half has invited some friends of ours for dinner.

I certainly would love to attend at any time a DIY meeting.

Damn DJ's;) well maybe its for the better. Sorry I've been out of the loop with a new job. Well if it comes down to it I'd still be up for stuffing my face and shootin' the ****. Oh by the way people, I see that there are several(4) people in the Barrie area, maybe we could do a small get together meet and greet/foodstuff.

Last edited:
Its sad that it seems to me that a majority of DIY'ers are introverts and cannot find the time and/ or what little funds it takes to go out and meet new people with the same
interest. Clearly there are no speaker building "clubs"
around, as I have been on the hunt for a dozen years.

We should make use of the resources we have and get something going....eh!:)

Its sad that it seems to me that a majority of DIY'ers are introverts and cannot find the time and/ or what little funds it takes to go out and meet new people with the same
interest. Clearly there are no speaker building "clubs"
around, as I have been on the hunt for a dozen years.

We should make use of the resources we have and get something going....eh!:)

I know at least in my case I've got a 120% courseload at school and have little time to sleep let alone meet with even my closest friends unless it's at the campus pub between classes! :(

Ok,ok I know that life is hectic at the best of times. I was in school once too:) That was a rant of sorts..... Maybe people don't check this thread often but I was hoping to stir up my local area a bit;)

Jeremy, All,

I get to Barrie a couple of times in an average month to visit friends, buy technical materials and/or visit my closest Princess Auto store and have a glorious pig out fest at one of two local Chinese all you can eat buffet restaurants. I would be more interested in an audio get together in that area than say near Burlington or Hamilton.

One of these restaurants is the old King's buffet on Dunlop Street which is now called Oriental Express. The food is superb and they only charge $7.99 for the lunch buffet. That has to be the best deal in the whole province for an excellent meal. I do not personally know any tube-o-philes or audiophiles in Barrie however, or anywhere else close for that matter.

If I could clean out my house and shop and get my act together I could host one of these things and even host a speaker building workshop. Unfortunately my clutter is likely a perpetual obstacle.

Wow chinese food and P auto... awesome!! If we plan something for next month hopefully some others could join in. I'm not either a Tubo/audiophile, I enjoy the purity of music of itself too much to worry about the details. When I sit to listen to some of my favorite tracks, my gauge of how well a system reproduces the source is if I get shivers up my spine.
Someday I will build a really nice pair of home speakers( when my kids are done with markers):)
Yes let's plan something and maybe ill pm some of the innisfil/ Barrie folks and get them off their a**es;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.