Southern Ontario diyFEST

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry to stray the topic Ray, I'm hoping to do a mini-Thing here and then maybe get it bigger to Daytrip it south with you guys.

Respect from me too. I also have no desire to interfere with anyone's plans for a bigger southern meetup. As some of you know, my ability to travel very far is limited by health and budget, both less than nominal. I'd like to attend anything I can, circumstances permitting.

Topshelf:

EDIT: Looks like things are slow for that group at the moment.
You can always try, like I have, to help get things moving.

Says you. :D

On Audio Circle they talk about
Toronto Area Audio Society
the TAAS-The Toronto Area Audio Society.
I believe they have some "speaker only" events.

Just thought you might want to know. I'm thinking
of attending one or two myself, as I'm considering building
an open baffle system with some Gershman woofers I
have just sitting here.

HogWild

Its sad that it seems to me that a majority of DIY'ers are introverts and cannot find the time and/ or what little funds it takes to go out and meet new people with the same
interest. Clearly there are no speaker building "clubs"
around, as I have been on the hunt for a dozen years.

We should make use of the resources we have and get something going....eh!:)

Last edited:
diyFEST

I still like to meet and greet fellow builders of what ever they have on the go. I am in a middle of a kitchen reno and time and money are short now but in the new year I want to build a pair of folded horns, maybe the Curvey Chans? Speakers are to my liking. Kits and things I would like to try out also.
So yea....it would be fun to get together.

Peter C.

Southern Ontario DIY Fest

Going through this thread some, I couldn't find out where it is that you are thinking of having the fest. That is a rather important bit of info for me, as travel distance would affect whether or not I can participate. I'm in Maine near the coast, pretty far up North.

I have a pair of very unusual floor-standing speakers that I would love to have fellow DIY- type individuals listen to and give me their reactions. There are probably about five people in my area that are audiophiles.

The further east the better....

Regards,
Pete

Looking for a place for diyFEST

Who ever is looking for a spot to have a Toront diyFEST, how has the seach been going? It seems it should happen in the new year, getting close to Xmas!! Maybe to have a combo: diyFEST and the TAAS-The Toronto Area Audio Society together, we would have better luck for a get together? Just passing wind here. I am seening out some feelers on what people are thinging out there. Nice to see some U.S. diy's for a get together:)

Peter C.

As I mentioned earlier, at the moment, I have zero DIY gear to speak of.

Don't know what kind of space requirements you folks are looking for, but it just hit me the other day
that if the group were small (say, less than 15 people) I could host here at our house.
That would be something I could offer.

I could throw in some basic refreshments, and could offer my McIntosh amp and an el-cheapo Sony CD
to use for demo-ing.

With a little coaxing, I could prolly get my friend's Apt Holman preamp to use for demo purposes as well.

hogwild

I think that is great. At your space and keep it small I would like to go. I have some mods I would like to show off. Not diy yet type of guy but I have to start somewhere.
Peter C.

I would have a few things to show. Some chip amp mono blocks. I'm getting a second job soon and may actually splurge on the traffos to build my tube amp.

If anyone is interested I've taught myself how to layout turret boards compactly too. I think I still have the drawn-out thought process, as well as the finished product. I could also volunteer my turntable if you don't have one hog.

I'm near Dufferin and Lawrence. If you know Yorkdale shopping centre, it's not far from there. Not far from Lawrence West subway station.

My only requirement (aside from people being polite etc.) is that this be inclusive. I am not looking to exclude people. Everyone has to start somewhere. In most ways, I'm (re)starting.

I would'nt be able to host until at least late Dec. or early Jan.

Let me know if that's of value to anyone.

hogwild

Where are you located?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Everyone,
You know what?
I still think a meet and greet over some good food makes sense. That way we can get comfortable with each other and possibly set up a swap meet / show 'n shine type deal.

In my experience, setting up an equipment show is a little more complex than having some people just show up with stuff in their cars / trucks / mopeds. In case anyone is thinking of showing speakers, not a good idea to move them in the cold temperatures.

I haven't got a problem with plans to come together with gear. I do think this is an ambitious idea for the first meet. BTW, a house is fine. Pizza or Chinese food works, and coffee is a must for the technicians amongst us.

Any comments?

-Chris

You're not far from where I live. :) I'm out of town over the holiday period, but if the planets align, and iff I finish that tube headphone amp by then, I'd like to bring it by.

That would be sweet to see and talk about a tube headphone amp, I would like to see that one:)
I am currently working on a 0.25 cuft monitor for my DJ Rig ,though I have To finish the x-over . I could bring one of my 18" subs but its a bit big.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.