Southern Ontario diyFEST

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Andrew,
Sure, we can get together for a 'splaination on that. It's pretty basic stuff that is surprisingly accurate if you are careful with your tests. At one point in time, I had it programmed into a Texas Instruments TI-58C calculator. Mind you, I had to re-allocate memory space on the fly as the program ran. I didn't have any add-in stuff like you'd find on the HP 41 calculator. Later it ran on an original IBM PC in basic, printing with a dot-matrix printer (9 pin). That was probably a good 20 years ago or more now.

Your speakers intrigued me and I would love to hear them hear. I have a Cyrus Mono X system, and a Marantz 300DC (that needs a new speaker relay now). I'm sure they would sound great in the living room. My wife, Anita, would like to hear them as well.

I'm really sorry to hear about your lightning zap situation. Is that all you lost (I hope!)?

Best, Chris
I'd be real interested in how you go about the testing, let me know when and I could bring them to your place and leave them for you and Anita to evaluate them, wife aproval is most important too. I'm glad you liked them at the meet but 5 watts wasn't enough after John's Imperials warmed up. Id like to hear your Marantz 300DC of coarse as well.
Andrew

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andrew,
That sounds great! I also have another friend who would love to join us. He isn't that much into the technical side, although he is interested. He is very much into speakers. I've already mentioned your speakers to him. I think he is a lurker so far here.

I'll probably have to review my notes on speaker testing to be really certain, but complete speakers are easier to test since the information you are looking for isn't that involved. Testing individual drivers will take time. I no longer have my calibrated weights or test boxes of known volumes. These are pretty straight forward things to make / get if you have a good spring scale or can make boxes. I used both methods as a sanity check from time to time, and the method used depended on the driver. Sometimes you can not access the cone-former interface to add weight, so you only have the test volumes that can be used. The impedance part is dead easy. I think that is what you were interested in, wasn't it?

I'll have to get to work and service my 300DC. It needs a relay I think. That may take me a couple weeks to get done. I'll use the 3650 preamp if it's not acting up. Switch contacts are the achilles heel for those preamps. Bring a CD that you are familiar with as well. It doesn't have to be dramatic, just clean sounding. I'll show you my disaster of a shop area while you are here too.

-Chris

thanks anatech, I have some test cabinets you could use,I don't think you need to measure the drivers,just the response and impedance as they are mounted in the cabinets , impulse time and decay if you can. I can bring them when ever you want and you can test at your leisure I need to get your Ph no again if you can PM that to me
Cheers Andrew

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andrew,
I never did do impulse testing. That was a step beyond what I did so long ago. At the time I was doing this, figuring out what the proper volume and tuning should be was well beyond many speaker designers out there. For sure some were on the ball, but most were not.

Once I figure out my HP 35665A, impulse testing should be easier. This was the "by ear" part of the design process the way we did it then.
I'll fire you off a PM
-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ryan,
I must have misunderstood you, my mistake. What type of enclosure do you want to build? I need to correct the thread title for you in that case.

No problem with moving your post and beginning a thread. Don;t worry about that, we're (the moderating team) always willing and happy to help.

-Chris

Hi everyone

Have not seen any posts in this thread for a while, just wondering how everyone is doing. Summer is fading fast and fall is almost here. Our last meet at John's place was really fun, is anyone interested in another get together before the year end? We need to find another venue and get organised.

Lo-tse

Hey ikoflexer:

I think my brother-in-law may want to come, if he doesn't then I will give you a lift.

I will bring a pair of EPI Microtowers I picked up in Huntsville. I have changed the speaker placement to see how it sounds to you guys. One on the side and one on top instead of the one in front and one behind. I was thinking of building the Micros that planet10 has designed as his are close to what he has in mind, but he uses better speakers and better building material.
Thanks Andrew to hosting this SODIY fest at your home.
Can we bring anything to lessen your work load?
PeterC.

great stuff, there does seem to be interest so i'll break the news to my wife then. I don't think you want me to BBQ though, since my wife and daughter are vegitarian I havent worked the BBQ for 3 years,so i would be up for ordering pizza if that is ok with you guy's. PM for the address and time is after 10:00am till whenever
cheers
Andrew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.