Southern Ontario diyFEST

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone by any chance have any open baffle gear to show? Since I'm about try building a pair (or experimenting is more like it) I was wondering if anyone might have anything to show/demo. Doesn't need to be fancy-could be anything at all. I would just like to get a general impression of the sound if anyone has anything kicking around.

I have health problems which can make my attendance dicey at times, but I'll contribute any way I can.

Hogwild

Joined 2005
Paid Member
i 'm in the west end of Mississauga, but have a lot of work for the next month or so so maybe could host few Diyers in May. I 'd also get off my butt and fix my Borbely class A amp by then. Have Borbely's DIY dac, preamp, and phono stage with Blackgates, vishay bulk foil resistors, shunt regulators. Raven ribbon tweeters, an interesting open panel midrange, and Dynaudio diy subs. Lots of DIY toys.

Wow, there is a lot of interest here, and a lot of really nice gear to see and hear. Maybe if we all assume that people's attendance could be iffy, it might work out well.

I'm sure a few people will show up no matter what, right?

ticknpop: What do you mean by "open panel midrange"? Do you mix and match it with other gear, such as your sub or ??
I've been wanting to hear those Ravens for ages, but I'm almost afraid they will spoil me for anything else that doesn't cost a king's ransom.
They have an amazing rep.

Hogwild

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Ravens I got from Peter Daniel. Open panel midrange is an electrostatic with the Raven R2s on the top end and Dynaudio 30w100's on the bottom with 150 watts a side class A. Overall a very fast and detailed sound. Would like to try the Raal ribbons one day, but the Raven's are fine.

Last edited:
Does anyone by any chance have any open baffle gear to show?

Just got directed here a few minutes ago. Did I miss it? I'll have to go read the thread to see the where's and when's... unless someone would be so kind to give me the coles notes version. But yeah I got a pair of OBs that I'm dying to play for some good ears. Don't get too excited though, they are my first design so probably riddled with problems but I want some feed back on them so I con find out what's wrong - for a learning experience.

Ryan_Mc:

Wow, just what I've been waiting to hear-a pair of DIY open baffles. Can I ask what the basic design/config is?

If I can't get to a meetup, it's only because of health reasons. I have a chronic health condition. But I work my best to get to see these things.

hogwild

Hi Hogwild,

The design is a bass driver in a box with open mids in an MTMW configuration. The bass driver is an RSS315HF-4 and the mids are Seas CA18RNX and a 27TBFCG tweeter. The 12's were in boxes already as sub duty so I just built an OB section to sit on top - for proof of concept before I committed to building nicer boxes. I still haven't built them a nicer home. Here's a couple pics (in my unfinished man-cave).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The rest is just fluff about how this project came about so you can skip this part if you want to. This started when I wanted to build an OB design and asked a designer if his published design was good as is or if he had made any changes to the XO since. He talked me into making my own design since he'd seen me inquiring about using sim software. It didn't take a hard push to get me to go for it and he sort of guided me through the whole thing. I picked the drivers based on what I had on hand and he gave it his blessing so I did the wood work. Doing an OB three way for a first design was probably a dumb move but I think it turned out OK. I've tweaked the XO quite a few times but they're still together after about 6 months so either they're not too bad or I've just gotten used to the bad stuff... or I have bad ears. To compound that I don't thing my electronics are up to snuff for these but I'm working on that.

Anyway, I know they're not going to be up to the level of designs from experienced designers. AFAICT they sound good and balanced, I'd like to hear feed back on what problems they have so I can try to address that for the learning experience. I'm hoping that the pointing and laughing can be kept to a minimum - though I can take some - and someone can say "you have this problem and here's how you can tell". This is why I said not to get too excited about hearing them.

Anyway that's my story. BTW what's your location?

Take care,
Ryan

Heh heh. Pointing and laughing? The only pointing and laughing going on will
be at what I haven't built. Those are definitely impressive-don't shortchange yourself.
They look pretty nice too.

I haven't built anything in many years, and when I did, I simply built sealed enclosures based on Thiele-Small calculations for the woofers.
Crossover design is way ahead of what I understand. Even those things I built were crude at best in terms of "cabinet" quality and had
no finish. I'm a novice compared with you.

I do have some very nice-sounding fiberglass 10" woofers here though. I finally now also have
a Dayton Woofer Tester, some of the tools, such as a router and a circle cutting guide. What I need is for my health condition to give me a break.
:-(

I'm not too far from Yorkdale shopping centre. What area are you in?

BTW, out of curiosity, have you looked at the minidsp crossovers at all? They are getting some very good reviews, even from die-hard analog people. And they're very reasonable.

Hogwild

Hi Hogwild,

The design is a bass driver in a box with open mids in an MTMW configuration. The bass driver is an RSS315HF-4 and the mids are Seas CA18RNX and a 27TBFCG tweeter. The 12's were in boxes already as sub duty so I just built an OB section to sit on top - for proof of concept before I committed to building nicer boxes. I still haven't built them a nicer home. Here's a couple pics (in my unfinished man-cave).

The rest is just fluff about how this project came about so you can skip this part if you want to. This started when I wanted to build an OB design and asked a designer if his published design was good as is or if he had made any changes to the XO since. He talked me into making my own design since he'd seen me inquiring about using sim software. It didn't take a hard push to get me to go for it and he sort of guided me through the whole thing. I picked the drivers based on what I had on hand and he gave it his blessing so I did the wood work. Doing an OB three way for a first design was probably a dumb move but I think it turned out OK. I've tweaked the XO quite a few times but they're still together after about 6 months so either they're not too bad or I've just gotten used to the bad stuff... or I have bad ears. To compound that I don't thing my electronics are up to snuff for these but I'm working on that.

Anyway, I know they're not going to be up to the level of designs from experienced designers. AFAICT they sound good and balanced, I'd like to hear feed back on what problems they have so I can try to address that for the learning experience. I'm hoping that the pointing and laughing can be kept to a minimum - though I can take some - and someone can say "you have this problem and here's how you can tell". This is why I said not to get too excited about hearing them.

Anyway that's my story. BTW what's your location?

Take care,
Ryan

Last edited:
hello john huggard here i just joined this site this winter and this is my first post .dont know if your meet idea is still in the works but you got my ear..just started the speaker thing this year i did it for a while in the late 70s but ...life got in the way.. anyhow getting back into it now...built some T.Ls bk16,s last year breaking in speakers for a wooden design and plans for plutos are in the mail so as you can see i am still useing designs by others but you have to start some where.so i would love to meet others with same intrest ..i got a lot to learn !

`Yes-it is spring Lo_Tse.The snow and ice have left Barrie. I am still interested in hosting a DIY meet -either my home for 15-20 people or an available conference room at my work. We only have to come to a consensus about suitable date etc.Please advise if there is sufficient interest.Even 4 or 5 like minded souls would be fun. Regards JCS

`Yes-it is spring Lo_Tse.The snow and ice have left Barrie. I am still interested in hosting a DIY meet -either my home for 15-20 people or an available conference room at my work. We only have to come to a consensus about suitable date etc.Please advise if there is sufficient interest.Even 4 or 5 like minded souls would be fun. Regards JCS

Hi, JCS

Thank you for your generosity for volunteering to be the host. June is fine for me. I suspect early to mid June may be the more convenient time for most people. Come late June early July, people will start taking vacation (nicer weather and exploiting the long weekends). The DIY group at Ottawa has had these gethering a number of times already, let's make our first meet happen soon. It would be fun!

I am setting up a small workshop area in my basement now. Hopefully, if everything goes according to plan, I might have my first project - a modest chip amp completed by then and I can show it!

Lo_tse

So far so good! It appears that June 11 (Sat.) or 12 (Sun.) would be a suitable date.I hope to organize a couple of you who are knowledgable to give a bit of a talk about some related subject with perhaps a demo. I will have the usual test gear set up-scope-sig. gen.etc. spare speakers . Apart from bringing your pet project(s) feel free to bring speakers as well along with music. I do not have a turnatable hooked up but do have a quantity of amps (tube,mosfet, hybrid) and tube dacs of various types if they are required to demo your project. Any other ideas please let us know .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.