UK northern meet 2010 in Sheffield

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

After the success of the first UK meet back in July 2007, which I thoroughly enjoyed I've been itching for another decent sized meet-up.

There was one pencilled in for 2008, then 2009 but neither materialised, so I've decided to have a crack at organising one myself.

If people think the venue is usable and are willing to come here then we'll have an event on our hands.

Our family business is due to be wound up by the end of the year and there will be some time when our offices are basically empty and I have discussed this with my mum, who agrees the place could be used, especially around summer time, by which time it will be devoid of too much important or valuable stuff.

Our offices are in Millhouses, Sheffield. There is a car park at the rear that I can agree use of with the friendly restaurateur below, who allows us use of his car park. The area is good and the offices are alarmed (wired directly to the alarm company via phone link) so security is not a big worry. We once had a break-in but that point has been protected by an iron gate now so is nigh on impossible to use (it also means breaking through a staircase as they did lol) and the alarm system since installed.

There are, by my reckoning, 4 usable listening spaces. There is a 5th space that is a large reverberant room that would only be good for chat and/or non-acoustic demonstrations like headphones.

All rooms have a thick textured wallpaper and on a voice test I would say are more suitable than anything Chesterfield had, if a little on the small side.

That said, I don't want to limit numbers, let's just see how much interest there is and we'll work on a summer date next.

Please reply saying if you're interested in a Sheffield/northern meet. Obviously this would be welcome to anyone on the forum and their "hi-fi friends".

I can provide more details of our offices, including photos and room measurements. Because it's my place of work, for now, I can do a little preparation in terms of acoustics and getting my system set up in here as an initial reference point.

I reckon it's time to share our audio hobby again. What do people think?

Simon

Great Ian, so that's 2 so far.

I should add there's a kitchenette with hot water, kettle, microwave and a toilet so the basics we need are all there I reckon. There's a pub DIRECTLY across the road, which is a M&B Ember Inns chain pub so has predictable decent beer and food for decent prices. Obviously there are millions of places to stay and places to eat and drink, and there are 3 large supermarkets within about 5mins walk of the office, it's a pretty cool location.

We're off the main road out from the centre of Sheffield going south, the A621 or Abbeydale Road South.

I'm definitely interested - never been to one of these before, so it will be interesting to see the people behind the words on here, aswell as some awesome set-ups.

I'd be interested in showing my budget system - pair of 4' floorstanders, sub etc. Transport would need to be confirmed with parents, but do we need to say we want to showcase them early, or just bring them on the day?

Great, let's start a list then.

Simonty / Simon + 2-3 guests not on forum (Pedja Rogic circuit pre-amp, 3 way open baffles, modified Marantz power amps, various modified sources, rack, room treatments)
UV101 / Ian
bull041161 / Steve
john blackburn
poynton / Andy
chris661 / Chris
brig001 / Chris' Dad
littlerick

Why not add in brackets what you'll provisionally be bringing along. Just copy and paste this post and add to it :)

Cheers
Simon

Last edited:
Simonty / Simon + 2-3 guests not on forum (Pedja Rogic circuit pre-amp, 3 way open baffles, modified Marantz power amps, various modified sources, rack, room treatments)
UV101 / Ian
bull041161 / Steve
john blackburn
poynton / Andy
chris661 / Chris (budget FAST speakers, modded amp, but this may change as I'm persuading Dad to order an Amp6b... might even have gone biamped when it comes around)
brig001 / Chris' Dad (Chris + Chris's stuff)
littlerick

I've got a neighbour that might be interested, but that's about it.
Edit - I'll probably be bringing a Laptop to use with my usb soundcard thingy. Taking my desktop PC isn't feasible.

Chris

Edit 2 - I'd be interested in trying other people's amplifiers and sources through my speakers - I'm running them with a fairly cheap (but upgraded) amp, so I'd like to know what they're capable of.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.