The Burning Amp Festival- October 18th 2009 Sign ups

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm slaving away this afternoon on my "Kingfisher" 7591A P-P amp using old Fisher 500B iron. With some sweat, it should be ready for the do. I'm bringing two tube amps and one composite gainclone (OPA627 + OPA541). Not that I'm so fond of the clone, it's just that I'd like do do some informal testing to see how it fares. It's definitely quite different in character compared to the tube amps. I'd class it as one of my failures, as I wasn't satisfied with its bench performance (specifically, square wave response). However, I don't ever listen to 10kHz square waves with 200 ns rise/fall times, so there may be some hope for the thing, even as a least common denominator sort of comparison. I think it would be instructive to plug in one of my tube amps to a decent set of speakers, then quickly substitute the clone - I noticed the difference right away on my system.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK guys! here's the schedule...
I'll update the list of registered attendees and payments later today...

If you have equipment to audition, sign up for an appropriate time slot when you arrive.

10:00-10:45 Put your equipment on display and/or admire other's projects.

10:45-11:00 Official Welcome

11:00-12:45 Amplifier Auditions

12:00-12:45 Jack Hidley of Audio Consulting Services presenting:
"Loudspeaker Design Options with Demonstration"

1:00- 1:45 Loudspeaker Auditions

2:00-2:45 Nelson Pass of Pass Labs, First watt, and PassDIY, presenting:
"Amp Design & Construction"

3:00-3:45 Amplifier Auditions

4:00-4:45 Door Prizes & other awards

5:00-5:45 Source and Line Level Auditions, Turntables, Preamps, DAC's etc.

6:00-6:45 Loudspeaker Auditions

6:45-7:00 Load 'em up!

Last edited:
Hello all-

I will be bringing my copper speakers (working this time) that successfully survived the playa this year. I am fine with them being outside for sound re-enforcement, as opposed to taking up valuable listening session time.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...rs-copper-speaker-cabinet-12.html#post1922371

I do not have an amp; but I gather there will be no shortage of these! Anyone like to drive my speakers? :)

I also have a lightspeed attenuator (the Paul Haynes VCCS version) not in cabinet yet. Can bring.

Cheers- Kent

LSJ109 has been long awaited. The maskset is done. We are awaiting product from wafer fab by hopefully 1st qtr(but that's what we said last year...I know...:) LSJ74 is in preproduction. Limited amount for limited sampling to future customers until we get production quantites out of fab in the next month or so. We will be providing a few sample bags for Variac to hand out as prizes or whatever.

Paul

Pre Payment Sent by pay pal.

I've recently completed a basic field camera + editing course at the local community media center, which means, if its OK with the venue and organizers, I'm planning on bringing a Sony HVR Z5 on the day, and shooting anything that moves :)

The plan is to edit it down to a viewable program for broadcast on the local public access channel. (channel 26)

Once broadcast, we are free to do with the footage what we will.

The idea is to capture the spirit of Burning Amp /diyaudio , and make it accessible for a wider audience (I hope).

If that doesn't come together, I could just put the footage on youtube.
But you'd rather be on TV, right :)

So any suggestions are welcome, and I look forward to seeing you all on the day.

P.S. This will be my third burning amp, so hopefully I can put the previous experience to good use.

Regards
Grahame

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.