Mercer Island DIY Meet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Swap/sell goodies

For those who might, or are planning to attend the Meet this Saturday, I thought I'd publish a list of swap/sale goods that I received from just one of the people planning to attend. This may be the chance to acquire a pair of drivers or tweeters for that project that you've wanted to start. Just come on by and check it out.

Best Regards,
TerryO

This is a tentative list of items that I will be bringing that are up for sale.

6-7 pairs of the 12 ohm 4.5" Vifa JBL's (same ones that I used in that little 4.5" MTM I had up there one year) 2 pairs used, the rest are new
at least 3 pairs of new 5.25" AR midbasses....as used in the RedBirch MTM's that won last year's budget 2 way division.
4 8 ohm AR 8" HO woofers....
4 Peerless NHT ST-4 woofers.
4-6 AR HO 8" 4 ohm drivers
6 Foster 5.25" poly midbasses - used in prime condition
2 AR 10" 4 ohm woofer/subwoofers
1 10" Infinity Kappa with IMG cone
3 pairs of the GR Research GR-130 midbasses (2 pair used, 1 pair new)
2 pairs of the GR Research GR-165 woofers (these are 16 ohm drivers)
1 pair of B & W LM-1 monitors - used
1 pair of DIY Audax 4.5" aerogel/ Vifa 3/4" fabric dome tweeter two ways in oak cabinets (letting these go cheap, cheap, cheap)- used
1 pair of Audax Hp130ZO aerogels
a pair of HiVi Research TN-28 externally mounted 1" tweeters
1 pair of Peerless 831773 midbasses 6.5" 8 ohm
1 pair of Dayton Classic 5.25" with pincushion frames 8 ohm
1 pair of Morel neodymium tweeters
1 pair of Vifa D27tg05-06 tweeters.- used
1 pair of Audax DT-101 Pure Titanium 1" tweeters (JBL classic 1" pure Tit. dome look)
1 pair of LPG 26T Titanium tweeters with double magnet motors
1 pair of MB Quart 1" Titanium tweeters....square faceplate - used

I am sure I may have forgotten some of the stuff, but off the top of my head, this is the list. Unless noted as used, all this stuff is NOS (new old stock). I will try to provide spec sheets for the drivers listed....if I have enough time to get them all done. For multiple batch drivers, I will pull one arbitrary sample and do the T/S parameter generation...then copy this for each pair of drivers.
I prefer to sell the drivers in pairs as much as possible.....Most all of the smaller drivers will be priced at about $15/pair...larger ones slightly higher....possibly $20/pair. Rest assured...the pricing is below what I actually paid for the stuff....but I want it all to go to good homes....by offering this stuff to the DIY community...sort of helping supply affordable projects. The 10" drivers will be available as each individual or as a pair....with the exception of the Infinity...there is just the one....but it is a good driver.....used one long time ago in a vented subwoofer....100 watt plate amp...no boost. Got down in the low 30's easily with good output and fairly clean definition....in 1.5 cu.ft.

Looks like I'll be able to make it, assuming they let me past the border with the full-range WMDs - er, I mean, full-range speakers.

Lori for some reason doesn't want to travel to Seattle to spend the Saturday with a bunch of geeks (she made some obscure remark to the effect of "one is more than enough") so I'll be on my own.

What time on Saturday do people normally show up? I'll be staying with friends in Redmond, so allowing for my usual ability to get lost in the Seattle area I should be able to make it by, oh, 3:00 p.m. easily.

See you on Saturday.

Hey Terry,

Rene' Jaeger and I will be there Saturday morning. I will have a pair of EnABL'd and clean drivers in same sort of boxes, a switch box, a CD player and a small amp. Rene' is planning to bring some 80 pound SE thing with foot tall power tubes and about 1.3kva on the plates, a pair of floor standing monitors and some swap materials.

Will there be a convenient cabinet or table to set the speakers up on? Perhaps off into the other room?

And then, where can I find those ear torches you were displaying.....?

Bud

Looks like I'll be able to make it, assuming they let me past the border with the full-range WMDs - er, I mean, full-range speakers.

Lori for some reason doesn't want to travel to Seattle to spend the Saturday with a bunch of geeks (she made some obscure remark to the effect of "one is more than enough") so I'll be on my own.

What time on Saturday do people normally show up? I'll be staying with friends in Redmond, so allowing for my usual ability to get lost in the Seattle area I should be able to make it by, oh, 3:00 p.m. easily.

See you on Saturday.

Aengus,
That's pretty neat, I really want to hear your speakers.
We will kick things off starting about 10:00am or so.
I'll be looking for you.
Best Regards,
TerryO

Hey Terry,

Rene' Jaeger and I will be there Saturday morning. I will have a pair of EnABL'd and clean drivers in same sort of boxes, a switch box, a CD player and a small amp. Rene' is planning to bring some 80 pound SE thing with foot tall power tubes and about 1.3kva on the plates, a pair of floor standing monitors and some swap materials.

Will there be a convenient cabinet or table to set the speakers up on? Perhaps off into the other room?

And then, where can I find those ear torches you were displaying.....?

Bud

Hi Bud,
We will have a couple of listening rooms if everything goes as planned, there should be space and a table or two.

Ear Torches came from a health food store.:)

Best Regards,
TerryO

Yes, it was a good time. I always look forward to meeting other diy'ers, and spending time with all of the folks attending yesterday was as pleasurable as ever.

Quite a few full-range projects --it's always amazing to see how much sound can be squeezed out. There were several Fostex, some older Rat Shacks, and even some of the new CSS EL70 drivers, among others.

There were several 2-ways, from bookshelf-size to larger TMM and MTM arrangements.

Don't recall seeing any 3-ways, but one of my personal favorites was the (restored) SpeakerLab Super 7 4-ways that Will (?) brought in along with his gear. There's just something about the output from a speaker that extends that low all by itself, without the aid of a separate sub. Thanks for sharing them for a few hours!

And of course, the horn-based car audio was a real treat. I've read about horns and waveguides, but car audio and horns never really struck me as 2 things to combine. It was perhaps one of the best sounding car systems I've heard. And, I have a great appreciation for the diy effort on it - lots of thought and lots of tweaking. Nice work.

Some speakers did some things better than others, but I enjoyed listening to everything that was brought in. It was great to see all the enclosures, horns, etc. that were created, and talk to others about the designs.

It was a great bunch of folks, and I look forward to getting together again. Now it's time to get that project going for next year's competition! (subtle warning -- hint, hint) ;)

Hey all

Just to let you know that I made it back to Victoria - through the border with nary a question about the speakers under a tarp in the back of the pickup truck - guess I have an honest face. :D

I had a great time - thanks to Terry for organising the event, and to all the NWAS guys for their work. Highlights for me were Bud's setup with switchable EnABL'd/non-EnABL'd Fostex 127s in Fonken cabinets - no, it wasn't a blind test, and no, the difference was not subtle; Rene's (sorry, I don't know how to do an e-acute in HTML) SET amp which sounded clean and wonderfully musical no matter what speakers it was driving; and the chance to listen to a pair of the Geddes speakers, which I've been wanting to hear. Goes without saying (I hope) that there were many friendly and interesting attendees as well.

So thanks again, folks - a very pleasant Saturday indeed.

Regards.

Aengus

Aengus,

Did you know that the recalcitrant Sony CD player was working through Rene's professional out board DAC? He doesn't just build amazing and scary SE amps. The guy is an amazingly talented EE and superb speakers are also in his portfolio.

Bud

For those who might, or are planning to attend the Meet this Saturday, I thought I'd publish a list of swap/sale goods that I received from just one of the people planning to attend. This may be the chance to acquire a pair of drivers or tweeters for that project that you've wanted to start. Just come on by and check it out.

Best Regards,
TerryO

This is a tentative list of items that I will be bringing that are up for sale.

6-7 pairs of the 12 ohm 4.5" Vifa JBL's (same ones that I used in that little 4.5" MTM I had up there one year) 2 pairs used, the rest are new
at least 3 pairs of new 5.25" AR midbasses....as used in the RedBirch MTM's that won last year's budget 2 way division.
4 8 ohm AR 8" HO woofers....
4 Peerless NHT ST-4 woofers.
4-6 AR HO 8" 4 ohm drivers
6 Foster 5.25" poly midbasses - used in prime condition
2 AR 10" 4 ohm woofer/subwoofers
1 10" Infinity Kappa with IMG cone
3 pairs of the GR Research GR-130 midbasses (2 pair used, 1 pair new)
2 pairs of the GR Research GR-165 woofers (these are 16 ohm drivers)
1 pair of B & W LM-1 monitors - used
1 pair of DIY Audax 4.5" aerogel/ Vifa 3/4" fabric dome tweeter two ways in oak cabinets (letting these go cheap, cheap, cheap)- used
1 pair of Audax Hp130ZO aerogels
a pair of HiVi Research TN-28 externally mounted 1" tweeters
1 pair of Peerless 831773 midbasses 6.5" 8 ohm
1 pair of Dayton Classic 5.25" with pincushion frames 8 ohm
1 pair of Morel neodymium tweeters
1 pair of Vifa D27tg05-06 tweeters.- used
1 pair of Audax DT-101 Pure Titanium 1" tweeters (JBL classic 1" pure Tit. dome look)
1 pair of LPG 26T Titanium tweeters with double magnet motors
1 pair of MB Quart 1" Titanium tweeters....square faceplate - used

I am sure I may have forgotten some of the stuff, but off the top of my head, this is the list. Unless noted as used, all this stuff is NOS (new old stock). I will try to provide spec sheets for the drivers listed....if I have enough time to get them all done. For multiple batch drivers, I will pull one arbitrary sample and do the T/S parameter generation...then copy this for each pair of drivers.
I prefer to sell the drivers in pairs as much as possible.....Most all of the smaller drivers will be priced at about $15/pair...larger ones slightly higher....possibly $20/pair. Rest assured...the pricing is below what I actually paid for the stuff....but I want it all to go to good homes....by offering this stuff to the DIY community...sort of helping supply affordable projects. The 10" drivers will be available as each individual or as a pair....with the exception of the Infinity...there is just the one....but it is a good driver.....used one long time ago in a vented subwoofer....100 watt plate amp...no boost. Got down in the low 30's easily with good output and fairly clean definition....in 1.5 cu.ft.

Terry, you have a PM about this. Thanks.

Terry, I'm looking for the seller of the Audax DT101's at your swap back in September. If you can put me in contact that would be great.

From post 21 "1 pair of Audax DT-101 Pure Titanium 1" tweeters (JBL classic 1" pure Tit. dome look)"

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

I checked, and the Audex DT-101 tweeters were sold at the Meet. There were some great deals, including a guy that brought in a box of tweeters and mid-woofers that he gave away.

Best Regards,
TerryO

I've started construction of Peter Millet's Sound Card Interface. Anyone else here working on one or considering building one?

I will have some spare parts, mostly precision resistors, left over. Also have a whole batch of Vishay RNC90Y 2K0000 resistors if someone wants to play with some bulk foil resistors; just pmail me with an address and I'll send some to you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.