The second UK diyAudio meet: UKFest08

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Considering we're already in Feb, I'd say shoot for around August. And I think we've already settled on somewhere further south then the last one.

I say Milton Keynes, as there's no way I'm hiring a van again! Ok well maybe ;)

A few obvious areas of improvement: Stay away from church hall reverberant rooms, and bring some sources! Also time just disappeared last year, so more pre-event organisation required definitely.

I'd like to see more presentations. I still want to see Al's and SY's planned presentations from last time.

V

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Vikash said:
Let me get it started:
- When?
- Where?
- What can we improve upon last year?
- What else would you like to see/include?

V

Vik, what's your thoughts on these?
Edit: Crossed posts with yours so scratch that.

For myself its:

When?
July/August time seems good - enough time for folks to finish up projects and plan ahead so as to clear a day or two out of the calender to attend. Its also UK in full summer time swing so hopefully the weather will be nice.

Where?
Personally speaking I'd prefer somewhere between London and up as far as the Scottish board. A few did mention southern England for this year and I couldn't agree more. Hopefully some folks that would have had long journeys last year, and so missed out, will get a chance this time. Maybe next year one way up north in the Scotland?

What can we improve upon last year?
Definitely somewhere with above average acoustics or better. There were plenty of loudspeakers last year but not much in the way of sources, so more electronics would be good to see. Slightly more direction and organisation than last year I think might give more focus. I enjoyed myself anyway and I think most others did too so I don't know if this would make for a better event or not.

What else would you like to see/include?
Looking forward to seeing and hearing anything really. Not sure about what to bring. At the moment I'm looking forward to meeting some old and new faces as well as checking out all things DIY.

Hi all

I don't mind traveling to the smog but for people traveling maybe cambridge area...what I mean outside of the M25. For me a bit further down the A1 would be no problem, or is this to far to the east?

Maybe a poll of say 6 areas would make people from say scotland a voice as to which is easiest for them.

P.S

Just to confuse things - maybe get some early block bookings in at a suitable hotel that would be near also. Then we can bore the girlfriends or wifes even more!

John

I bailed out of the last event due to excessive work commitments - and my wife wanted to do something with the horses that weekend.

Somewhere not too far north or east would be good, as the travelling time to say Cambridge is a barrier.

As a starter how about somewhere in the triangle bounded by Oxford, Leicester and Bedford? Reasonably central, and not far for most people to travel.

From my point of view, June and July are out (foals are due in early June and late July). August or later would be better.

I didn't go to the last one, so can't comment on the acoustics.

Presentations sound like a great idea.

Also, to give some structure to what people have done, why not have a poster session? This is an idea from scientific conferences where too many people have stuff to present for the time available. A time slot (say 4-5 Saturday or whatever) is set aside, and you need some boards (or walls you stick things to). Those who are happy to take part put up a "poster" - this can be some text describing what you have done, circuits, photos, whatever, provided it fits in say a 2m wide by 1.5m high space. At the start of the session, the poster presenters standby their board, and everybody else wanders round, and looks at the ones they are interested in.

Obviously, you would have too see if anybody was prepared to do it, but it is a nice informal way to pass information across without having to do public speaking.

I'm not too fussy about time or location, but as a preference:

* not more than 4hrs from me, so London or so tops

* August could be a good time for me, nice weather would make it a more fun occasion with beer garden pints afterwards etc.

I enjoyed the informal nature of Chesterfield. I'm not fussed about presentations or lectures, I just like to meet, chat and admire people's efforts. And of course listen!

Simon

ps. it's a long way off but some kind of car sharing might be an idea to share petrol costs.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
All those suggesting different locations than the south east need to suggest a possible venue. At the moment I want to try and find somewhere ideal, and being very busy, that means either local to me or in the London area so I can get chance to check it out before the meet. If you have the perfect venue, then by all means mention it here, but I don't have time to do things on spec.

Hi all
The acoustics may not have been perfect last years venue but the important thing is to have that kindred spirit of last year.
I'm happy to travel to wherever for the venue & can offer car share & space for some gear if that helps.
Picking up from Sheffield/Chesterfield or thereabouts no problem.
The car can seat 6 but might then need to arrange trailer for the gear (perfectly doable with a bit of notice.)
June/July onwards sounds good to me.
If I can be of service in organising anything let me know.
Looking forward to meeting you all again.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Tim F said:
Hi all
The acoustics may not have been perfect last years venue but the important thing is to have that kindred spirit of last year.
I'm happy to travel to wherever for the venue & can offer car share & space for some gear if that helps.
Picking up from Sheffield/Chesterfield or thereabouts no problem.
The car can seat 6 but might then need to arrange trailer for the gear (perfectly doable with a bit of notice.)
June/July onwards sounds good to me.
If I can be of service in organising anything let me know.
Looking forward to meeting you all again.

Hey Tim, hope your keeping well and that the family is doing good!

I think sharing transport is a great idea, plus its some company for the journey to wherever we end up and those of us getting a lift of you can split the fuel costs. Thanks for the very generous offer. Are you thinking of using that big people carrier type thing you had last year? If so then count me in. I'd offer my own car but its pretty small once you start putting more than 4 people in there and the boot space is a bit pathetic.

Simon, who we chatted with after the event last year, lives in Sheffield so he might be up for a road trip too.

Hi Tim,

You're the expert on thread-tapping, right? :D

I'd love a lift, or if more space is needed I'll also drive (might be a couple more from round here). Very kind of you to offer.

Road-trip sounds fun, we can eat sweets and discuss drive unit cone materials and suchlike in the car :clown:

Simon

ps - I'm about to do some CD player work soon LOL :smash:

Tim F said:
at least that way we are sure to get his fabled marantz as a source.

If Brent in Doncaster can make it then we won't need my Marantz! He should insure it for a day, in case tea gets spilled inside, or some other fluids ;)

Attachments

• cdp.jpg
    cdp.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 682
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
SimontY said:
You're the expert on thread-tapping, right? :D

Yes he is but I vote for no demonstrations whilst he's driving :bigeyes:

Road-trip sounds fun, we can eat sweets and discuss drive unit cone materials and suchlike in the car :clown:

My centiments exactly.

ps - I'm about to do some CD player work soon LOL :smash:

If you tweak it death again at least you've got a few month to fix it this time :clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.