The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Some sacred object to pass back and forth is a good idea. I've tried sign-up lists without much success..

This is the final big problem. The red shirts in the rooms are SUPPOSED to be switching from one end of the room to the other, That way while one side is swapping in components, the other is playing a track. I guess I have to write down their responsibilities, and have a discussion before. They are supposed to make sure that after one track, the system on the other side then plays, and to make sure people Swap in different components. Now some systems with active crossovers and such are tougher to swap around, but really it CAN be done, and the system owner might just learn something too..

The red shirt is supposed to indicate people who are supposed to be listened to. Not everyone is comfortable asking people to do stuff. If you aren't that kind of person you really shouldn''t be an in-room redshirt.

This is my biggest problem with the event. With all the equipment there, I am desperate to compare them. My room, Volta, was cooperative but not organized. If we asked someone to turn-down and give us time, they obliged. When there was a lull and we jumped on it; then others started talking too loud. I didn't ask them to keep it down (my bad) since they seemed to be having a good time.

I think an organized trade-off of time would make everyone happy. How about a relay baton that is passed clockwise around the room. Good for 10 or 15 minutes. Within that time, the holder can ask for 10 minutes of silence or library whispers. Hopefully the holder will make a presentation and the whole room will gain an appreciation of the equipment on test.

I think some of the time will needs to be relaxed (non-holders of the baton can "burp" their systems outside of the holder's critical listening) because you need to test that your system is working before getting the baton. I also think that if you're not setup (within a minute or two of getting the baton) then it should be passed on. I foresee the baton moving rapidly to the people that want it. We would not want one to cling to it because they don't want to wait for the next circuit.

Just some thoughts. Any sharing of listening time guidelines would make me feel good about asking for time and for giving time.

or what if the swap meet and amp camp days were the first day and then the 2nd day is the show? that way people could BUILD something in amp camp with stuff they bought at the swap meet and SHOW it on the 2nd day! be proud of what they build! people could also decide if they want to come for both days or just the really big sheeew

Here's an idea: how about a "loudspeaker measurement and crossover design camp" on day 1?

I have a full suite of hardware and software for measurement, analysis, data merging/processing, as well as software for using that data to model loudspeaker crossovers. These are all free, so I would be happy to use them as part of a demo/seminar/build session. People could bring drivers in speaker boxes, they could be measured, crossovers designed, and then implemented at the show (well using active DSP crossovers at least). What is interesting is that you can quickly change the crossover design and listen to the results or compare two or more different crossover design using ABX type testing. That might be fun in and of itself. I could also give a presentation of the loudspeaker crossover design process from A-to-Z.

Would anyone be interested in that kind of thing? It might dovetail/complement amp camp nicely.

-Charlie

This was my first Burning Amp. Loved it.
I'd also love to see some kind of "hands on" events going on in that main room. On going workshop or something like that perhaps?
I found it difficult to really listen to many systems. Some of the systems I really wanted to hear never seemed to play. Others were competing in the same room causing me to leave.

Someone mentioned a 10 min rule. How about a dedicated "10 min" room?

MrKramer

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As far as I'm concerned we should do this. A very generous offer. Along with the distortion measuring session, and an Amp Camp we have a pretty decent second day! Well first day- you know what I mean!

Here's an idea: how about a "loudspeaker measurement and crossover design camp" on day 1?

I have a full suite of hardware and software for measurement, analysis, data merging/processing, as well as software for using that data to model loudspeaker crossovers. These are all free, so I would be happy to use them as part of a demo/seminar/build session. People could bring drivers in speaker boxes, they could be measured, crossovers designed, and then implemented at the show (well using active DSP crossovers at least). What is interesting is that you can quickly change the crossover design and listen to the results or compare two or more different crossover design using ABX type testing. That might be fun in and of itself. I could also give a presentation of the loudspeaker crossover design process from A-to-Z.

Would anyone be interested in that kind of thing? It might dovetail/complement amp camp nicely.

-Charlie

One problem of a two day show is that local people who drive up from far off places might find a single day convenient as they do not have to stay anywhere and increase expenses. The 'spill off' second day would be OK for people who live nearby and for people who in any case have some accomodation arranged.
One day should be the real show so that 'one dayer's' get to see the key things at the show. Second day could be a 'measurement / hands on' day in addition to listening to equipment. With a one day show , most people will arrange their programs to be able to attend. With two days the visitors who can spare only one day will pick a day and so attendance each day might drop compared to what you have now. Of course it will make it easier for people to listen to the equipment that interests them.

You need to discuss this in depth. It isn't as simple as it looks. Will it be possible to cover expenses with less visitors each day ? You should not increase the entry fee. But it certainly will be a good thing if it is held on two days , if possible.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think we've solved your concerns with the idea of a second day with seminars/demos, and not the standard day fare, which is the path I have considered in the past, and Amp Camp has made more interesting. Adding a Charlie Laub seminar kind of guarantees the concept will work IMHO.

So yes, the people who can only spare a day or have to drive quite a distance can come to the main day and get the full experience. The days would be totally different, so I don't see one day affecting the other. Also, on the "Seminar Day" we will only be renting one room probably so the costs will be minimal. I agree that people coming a medium distance might not be able to make both days, but people coming a long distance such as yourself would actually probably prefer to have more activities, if, as you say, they have accommodations.
I lowered the entry fees this year to $25 instead of 30 and we squeaked by. Probably better to have the seminar day people pay the costs of the room or two needed for the seminars.

And local people can come to both if they are interested.

Last edited:
Show review

Mark
- I like the ideas submitted for a two day event.
Day One Builder Day... Speaker Builders and Amp Builders....
Speaker design, testing crossover design, etc. PCB design, board stuffing etc.

Day Two Lectures and Demonstrations.

We definitely need to obtain a bigger Screen for the lectures.

In our room we did rotate the demos you just had to be quick with the knob.

All in all this was a great show and yes I did notice the entry price was lower. Thanks - jblast

Mark,
Looks like you might as well work on a 2 day program next time. As things stand , I plan to be there in 2013. I will also want to get to the RMAF which is in the same month and hope there will be a few days gap between the two.
What about the San Francisco Air Show ? :) Can't miss that too !

As you mentioned I ( and others ) would certainly find a two day program more attractive after traveling all that distance ! Last time I did feel that if possible 'tech talks' should be on a different day as 'listening' to equipment is really a VERY full day affair by itself.
Also, RMAF can drive one completely nuts ! ;)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I strongly suspect they won't be able to. They would need to spend the night and that means a hotel ( although I'm sure people would be happy to open their hmes!) Jan might make it , because he stays with me! But if we're doing seminars, then its only important that the seminar demonstrator/presenter/whatever and the participants show up. Quite possibly people with a new technology or somethin might want t o have a room to demonstrate it on the seminar day..

I'm not considering having 2 days that are like the current Burning Amp.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I strongly suspect they won't be able to. They would need to spend the night and that means a hotel ( although I'm sure people would be happy to open their hmes!) Jan might make it , because he stays with me! But if we're doing seminars, then its only important that the seminar demonstrator/presenter/whatever and the participants show up. Quite possibly people with a new technology or somethin might want t o have a room to demonstrate it on the seminar day..

I'm not considering having 2 days that are like the current Burning Amp.

The European Triode Festival is this coming weekend and starts Thursday evening, running until Sunday after breakfast. So that is two full days of presentations, listening sessions (about 7 rooms each with two systems) and even a 'shoot out' between like equipment.

Venue changes every three years and is in places like a convent converted to a convention center, a holiday village or, as this year in Berlin, a university. In other words, a venue with rooms, lodging, restaurant and main hall. Not easy to find for a reasonable budget and limited (ETF is limited to 100 participants). Cost is about $ 350 US for food and lodging.
So you see, if you go from a single day to anything longer will immediately have repercussions.
Organisation-wise, its not something a single guy can do on the side, not even Mark ;)
The ETF team is about 8 persons, including a dedicated IT guy for managing the website and related IT.

jan

I am tempted to hire a local hall (for example, there's an American Legion Hall a couple of doors down from Anchor Electronics in Santa Clara) and host a very limited edition of BA - limited list of presenters (not of listeners), each required to talk about his bit of gear, with schematics, etc, and a presentation of sound on a fixed system with discussion afterwards.

I am tempted to hire a local hall (for example, there's an American Legion Hall a couple of doors down from Anchor Electronics in Santa Clara) and host a very limited edition of BA - limited list of presenters (not of listeners), each required to talk about his bit of gear, with schematics, etc, and a presentation of sound on a fixed system with discussion afterwards.

Would this place be suitable for a loudspeaker-focused group of 20-40 people and would you be willing to look into that for me? I am looking for venues in which I can host the next NorCal DIY Audio Group meeting, in April 2013. I'd like t do this somewhere on the peninsula between San Jose and San Mateo. It's largely a speaker building group, so the acoustics have to be pretty good...

-Charlie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.