The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BA was a success this year because Mark (Variac) worked his butt 0ff.
I was lucky enough to be one of the red shirts (volunteers) again and saw the amount of planning and thought that Mark has put into making this event an EVENT!
At times I think I saw Mark in at least 2 places at once. Putting out fires here, and directing traffic over there, looking for bagels all the time. :)
Emergencies were common place, and handled with ease by Mark.
Myself and the other shadowy minions simply did Mark's bidding. He really worked hard to make it run smooth and turn out well.
Let's give him a big THANK YOU! :cheers::cheers:

Ron

The Peerless 850443 woofer raffle prizes are now even better!!!

NC%20DIY%20AUDIO%202010%202-way%20pair.jpg

Thanks to the support of the folks at Madisound Speaker Components Inc, the winners of the raffle of the pairs of woofers for the mini-monitor shown above will have the option to contact Madisound to purchase a kit consisting of a pair of the tweeters and a pair of assembled crossovers for only $99! It's everything you need to build these great speakers except the cabinet, binding posts and some internal wire.

A BIG thanks goes out to Adam at Madisound for his help putting together this Burning Amp special deal!

-Charlie

I just wanted to remind folks who won the 5.25" Peerless driver pairs that these are for the speakers shown above. Use the coupon to buy the rest of the components at Madisound. You need to do this in the next month or so.

If you need more info, please contact me.

-Charlie

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BA was a success this year because Mark (Variac) :cheers::cheers:

Ron

Ron,
Thanks for the kind (and rather clever) words. This may appear that I'm just responding in kind, but it was volunteers like you who also pretty much worked all day, who actually made it happen. Without the help ( and I know what its like when I don't get enough help) I just get worn to a frazzle and a lot of stuff that needs doing just gets ignored.

It was a lot of fun talking to you for a while in the big room. That's my biggest regret- that I just don't get to talk to a lot of participants I've been looking forward to meeting. Like Michael Rothacher for example. He comes all the way out here and we barely get to meet each other. Hey Michael thanks for all you'll contributed to diyAudio..

And thanks to the other volunteers, all of whom did what I asked them to, and often just worked on stuff that they saw needed doing..

Mark

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK, Let's hear a list of suggestions of what to do better.

I already have thought that we need to promote the existence of the big room. It could be a much bigger resource but I think what was there was ignored a bit before the talks...

Did you know there were two people there that could measure your components for you? Like the old McIntosh clinics? Get you to the "Sweet Spot? I sure hope you both come back, as I'm sure you'd have a long line if we'd promoted you right.. Plus free JFET samples from Linear Systems and free copies of AudioXpress, and Elektor, and Linear Audio for sale cheap, from Jan Didden..

Next year more vendors for sure.. and how about a swap meet like HAM guys have. Is there enough stuff out there?
How about an Amp Camp?

I don't see how we could do all that in one day. Please think about it.. Would you actually come for 2 days? Tell me.

For me this was the greatest Burning Amp ever.

Thank you thank you thank you for showing up and/or bringing your stuff. It was awesome!!

Mark Cronander

Last edited:
Mark,
I would like to have seen more co-operation between builders in the smaller rooms. ie; more than once I wanted to hear a set of speakers only to have the builder on the other side of the room turn up their volume knob. Perhaps a 10 minute rule? Sort of like a push-pull amp ;) .
I would prefer more volume for the guest speakers in the big room, I may be hard of hearing but it was difficult for me to hear them.
Short sleeve shirts. (thank you Linear Systems)
I did not know about ANY of the things offered in "The Big Room".

I enjoyed helping out where I could, thanks for that honor.
Ron

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
some demand for 2 day event is there

whatever , without at least a try , we'll never know is there critical mass for getting it functional

so ...... let's try ....... ;)

most probable scenario is that part of attendees will be there for both days , and other part will spread evenly (?) on first or second day only

hope and struggle will be to have that first part significantly greater that other (cheapskates! :clown: ) part

Mark,
I would like to have seen more co-operation between builders in the smaller rooms. ie; more than once I wanted to hear a set of speakers only to have the builder on the other side of the room turn up their volume knob. Perhaps a 10 minute rule? Sort of like a push-pull amp ;) ....
Ron

This is my biggest problem with the event. With all the equipment there, I am desperate to compare them. My room, Volta, was cooperative but not organized. If we asked someone to turn-down and give us time, they obliged. When there was a lull and we jumped on it; then others started talking too loud. I didn't ask them to keep it down (my bad) since they seemed to be having a good time.

I think an organized trade-off of time would make everyone happy. How about a relay baton that is passed clockwise around the room. Good for 10 or 15 minutes. Within that time, the holder can ask for 10 minutes of silence or library whispers. Hopefully the holder will make a presentation and the whole room will gain an appreciation of the equipment on test.

I think some of the time will needs to be relaxed (non-holders of the baton can "burp" their systems outside of the holder's critical listening) because you need to test that your system is working before getting the baton. I also think that if you're not setup (within a minute or two of getting the baton) then it should be passed on. I foresee the baton moving rapidly to the people that want it. We would not want one to cling to it because they don't want to wait for the next circuit.

Just some thoughts. Any sharing of listening time guidelines would make me feel good about asking for time and for giving time.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Very good comments so far.
Here's a question. By about 6 PM I'm exhausted, but it occurs to me that maybe everyone else isn't..

I'm pretty sure though that most people are ready to go home by about 7 Right? or Not? Especially considering that clean up takes a solid hour at least. Maybe in the evening is when people can relax more though...Of course staying open a couple more hours would cost about $500 more too.. I reduced the admission to $25 this year and we didn't lose money, but it was a bit close. But I think that means more people came...

At the moment I think I'm leaning towards keeping it as it is. Probably 3 presenters is too many? Although this year I think we moved right along on the presentations.

I definably want to make the Big room a lively spot where people hang out to talk. Maybe it while people with equipment move their stuff out of the building. we could have music playing there or live music, BUT the trouble with amplified sound is that we've been told not to have it in the big room because there are adjacent offices. However, I kinda doubt that there's anyone there Sat or Sun nights..

Last edited:
2 days YES! amp camp YES!, swap meet YES!

I would also like to see some hotel deals associated with the event.maybe organize one hotel with a special discount rate for the event. maybe a shuttle to and from the event etc.

I would also like to see a setup where in the big room ever person takes the stage and talks about what it is they brought! maybe display a photo of the persons item and then the person could give a brief description of it. would be a nice way to get to know people!

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The most likely possibility for a couple of days would be to have clinics or seminars or something on the second day and just rent a couple of rooms. That would mean no amplified sound though- they have a rule against it and the only reason we can do it is because we rent the entire floor.

So we could have Amp Camp, Equipment measuring, things like that...
Any other ideas?

Still, it seems logistically really hard to do 2 days other than as I described above..
Ron is right, there are problems..

How about the swap meet on the day of the event in the big room? Maybe less people would donate stuff? or maybe more stuff donated at the end of the day! Again, think about yourself, do you have stuff to sell? Would you want to sit there by a table all day? Wait! We could just have it for an hour...and I think we all have stuff we might like to get into someones hands. More because we know we won't use it than for gain. But I think stuff for sale at reasonable price would up the quality level. It's different stuff than people give away I think..

Mark

Last edited:
or what if the swap meet and amp camp days were the first day and then the 2nd day is the show? that way people could BUILD something in amp camp with stuff they bought at the swap meet and SHOW it on the 2nd day! be proud of what they build! people could also decide if they want to come for both days or just the really big sheeew

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
yeah that's the best idea..before..if possible. Much easier to get just one room on Saturday The Big Room is real cool and pretty reasonable in cost considering it's about 4 times as big as any other..

We could even have a room devoted to ACA's on the second day and have them hooked up to various speakers. My experience it that the ACA sounds dramatically better with some speakers than others.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.