The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I think Mark did a great job as well! and with these sorts of things you sort of learn as you go along!

Some suggestions. and these are meant to be POSITIVE helpful things!

6. Hang on to greezy cooking stone - juz in case it is needed.
7. Get the darn thing (cooking stone) seasoned up - if it's gonna be needed.
8. If mastah stone cooker is not here find out where apprentice is at and availability. :cool:

Of course this list brings out the elephant in the room - are we gonna pass da hat around again????????

a little too fluid

Regional perception differences remain interesting, sorta feels as if the rural surrounding determines the aural preference.

What struck me in the US is how loud everything is, the traffic, people, with little to no damping due to +twice street widths and straight as an arrow roads.
And Texas was even far worse than SF, felt like i had to put in ear-plugs before ordering a cup of coffee, then had to hold the conversation for a minute till the jet noise of a crossing airplane stopped shaking the surface in the mug. The scarce few hours i slept in the states (already punched-in +24 hrs in 2 days after my return) i had air pressure smoothing ear-plugs in, which i brought along for the flights.
Me live on the outer edge of a weenie, smaller than Peewee Herman's, small town. No highway within several miles, nearest 30 mile/hr road is at 500 yards, no airplanes crossing over that can be heard. Other side is the ocean, with a whole bunch of trees inbetween, just a pedestrian/horse trail 100 ft from the front gate, less than a half mile walk to the beach, sorta like living at the SF south bay with different weather.

In a (my preferred) plastic description : in the US, there's no requirement for additional spaciousness or a more fluid image, more in need for a feel of the outer extremities (outer-outer borders).
While overhere, i don't need to hear where the borders are, if i step out the back door i tumble over a Belgian, if i open the front door someone asks me if i would like some milk in my tea and a biscuit.
So for sound, i crave for space, sound that really flows out, and a 3D aural image which totally surrounds me.
Mind you, maybe 1 in 10k Cheesos live in eardrum-protected surroundings, a large share resides in apartment buildings with zero damping and likely fancies $100 boomady-bass sound. NL ranks 4th highest population density of nations with more than 15M inhabitants, afaig.
(strangely enough, birds have always mentioned i'm a heck of a lip fondler, while i just go down the hatch a.s.a.p. for a deep space exploration. Only the first, in junior high, said that i'm a drooler)

I agree that it is hard in far from perfect spaces, with unfamiliar (for some untempting) loudspeakers. Before embarking to the US, i thought about bringing a pretty special preamplifier along, relieved i didn't, not just for the hassle and risk of damage.

Yeah, and three cheers for Mark.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 341
  • back2.jpg
    back2.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
What struck me in the US is how loud everything is, the traffic, people, with little to no damping due to +twice street widths and straight as an arrow roads.
And Texas was even far worse than SF, felt like i had to put in ear-plugs before ordering a cup of coffee,

Me live on the outer edge of a weenie, smaller than Peewee Herman's, small town.

Just "Big City" blues jacco - although I do find large Euro cities more relaxing and charming than big USA cities. Houston is similar to Lost Angeles which equates to one housing subdivision sitting on top of the next one with roads provided to get to the closest shopping mall.

If it was fun and charm you were after ya should have hooked up with the crew in Austin TX or New Orleans. Of course - you would not have had any sleep in those places tho!!! :D:D:D

I do seem to remember Naples as being noisy with all of those crazy Ital's zooming around in shoebox sized auto's making four traffic lanes into five. Rome - noisy - Athens - noisy - London - noisy - Paris - noisy -
Venice - quiet, perhaps a gondolier singing to a couple of lovers relaxing after a nice dinner. Of course you need to have an umbrella with you in the daytime - and it isn't for the rain either.

As for trees and rolling hills - well it is pretty hard to beat my part of the county.... :cool:

Attachments

• Tennessee Farm.jpg
    Tennessee Farm.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
It was just an example of my personal perception.
(you already know i'm a loudmouth hick, in TX i just shouted back twice as loud. I'm pretty darn good at adjusting to any setting/company, just don't feel for it 10 outa 10 )

Same differences exist between various nations, it seems, or within groups in the same society/city, as i mentioned.
Which may be a solid 'physical' reason why some prefer horns, some favor large dynamic systems, or find a specific type of amplifier more appealing than another.

Hey Y'all, I love Texas ! I've dealt with quite a bunch of good ol' Texan crude oil boys in the past, platinum credit cards (back in those days good for $1/4M a day) and bolo tie types, tough but straightforward folk.
New Orleans definitely is on my list to see, not necessarily during Mardi Gras.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hey Y'all, I love Texas ! I've dealt with quite a bunch of good ol' Texan crude boys in the past, platinum credit cards (back in those days good for $1/4M a day) and bolo tie types, tough but straightforward folk.

That TexUn's !!!! :D:D:D
Blues Brothers - Rawhide - YouTube

Tenness Cowboys are get'n with the times - and trying to save mileage on da horsey's :cool:
Big & Rich - Save A Horse [Ride A Cowboy] (Video) - YouTube
Video wuz shot in downtown Nashvilllllllllllllllllllllle!!!! ;) (yee-haa)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Really awesome, ZM. Thank you.

naah ...

I was there just as Japanese ( or Serbian , whatever ) tourist ..... taking shots as wakoo :rofl:

all thanks need to go to usual address - Mighty Papa :clown:

Okay, I have to ask: Is the kitchen table at SR where the writing happens?

Buda is everywhere ...

NP is always working/dreaming ; typing is post hoc .

:cheers:

Venice - quiet, perhaps a gondolier singing to a couple of lovers relaxing after a nice dinner. Of course you need to have an umbrella with you in the daytime - and it isn't for the rain either.

As for trees and rolling hills - well it is pretty hard to beat my part of the county.... :cool:

Well If you think that Venice is Quiet I am sorry to say You where there at the wrong time

Back on a 15 century horgan at the Frari Mozzart The Merchant of Venice
Plied out on 2 stages in the exact same rooms where it was vritten.

Charly Chaplin with dougter (jum Jum) and Wife (MEGA SUPER JUM JUM even for a kid of 17 Which I was at the time) taking their front row seat for the screening of City Life and the Prague Philly plaiing the score in San Marco square (Speakers I spent al summer building the fitting of rock wall insulation was sometink I will newer forghet.

Just only over 13 miles of cable (apart from phone links) connecting PA for the regata on late July
Carnival in February

5 bands taking turns in the square (Florian and so on)

I heard a 4 pounder (Yes I know Maller said Six pounders) in the Mallibran and got covered in plaster.

Plus all the parties and going around the city with our getto blaster.

Or getting stoned bheind the conservatory at the sound of so many classes.

Yess bit boring for a kid

Or Just a stupid Kid thinking that that was boring?

Hawthorne Audio; View topic - Douglas Self's Presentation on active xovers.

I posted some slides of Douglas Self's presentation from Burning Amp, on the above location at the Hathorne Audio forum. As several there I know are interested in active crossovers. I waited to long to post them and as a result forgot much of what Douglas said, but the basics are there I believe.

If any want to add anything I forgot on his slides, please feel free to post on that forum and I will add your comments to the post with the slides.

If you have slides that I missed you can email me and I will post them as well, but please explain where they go in the presentation, between which slides (I numbered them).

Thanks,
Terry

P.S. I am glad to see I am not the only one that takes threads off topic. ;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.