The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Statistics?
Ha lets be official..

This was the most attended BAF since we started. We had about 160 sold tickets, and my estimate that we had between 180 - 200 people all together. It was great since we had so many people, what gives great feel to the event. At some point there was a line at the entrance where Mark's wife was selling tickets. Financially we are in black, we paid all the expenses and what was left was exactly enough to pay deposit for the next year. That is great and that is exactly what we are doing now, trying to find the available date. It seems like that October is most demanding month for events. We prefer early October because of the weather, but... we have to choose the date that:

• Is not the date when there is a fleetweek, since the traffic is unbearable on that weekend, and Fort Mason becomes unapproachable.

• It is not the date when there is RMAF show in Colorado, when some of our guests attend. We also need to leave about two weeks between RMAF and BAF since people that are attending RMAF get exhausted from that show and most likely they need time to drive back.

• It is not the date of AES, since some of our guests are attending that show

With all that the space has to be available to us, what in previous years was not always the case. That is why Mark and I are so excited to pay the deposit right now and to reserve the space.

Going back to statistic, I have to say this year we had the biggest amount of female visitors. I was really pleasantly surprised with that fact and I have to say - they made our show even more pleasant and enjoyable. Be it for spouses or fellow audiofemalephills, but they gave us a warm sound. Hope to se the trend continuing.

Now about what was shown. I have to admit that I had feel that this year was less shown than any other years. Maybe it is just my feel because we had more rooms, but that is how I felt. We had a fair amount of new visitors, but the core group of people was there from previous years. During the first year's show was shown the most, and I believe many people didn't want to show the same later.

The character of this show was given by our exceptional presenters - Pass, Kirkwood and Linkwitz,, and if I would like to be honest, that is what maybe will be remembered the most. Analog guys also were much stronger than previous years. There were several turntables, and one of them was really stunning, all together with 845 tube amps.

Mark, Jan Didden and myself were just talking about the show a few days ago, and we are aware that we have to think about maybe refreshing the show with some new content or concept. We will see and we will let you know. Your ideas and suggestions are greatly welcomed. Since Choky, Magura and Jacco are planned to be here we have to make it as a big celebration! And it will be the 5th annual show! Could you belieive it?

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
What did I bring?

The computer speakers - Aurasound sound bar, Tang Band Tiny Towers, and Mark Audio Teapot Tiny Towers. Hopefully some people got a chance to hear these cheap and cheerful drivers.

I never did get a chance to hear them run by a different amplifiers - I would have welcomed the chance. And of course all the amplifier guys didn't get to play with their toys. An organized way of A-B ing various combinations of equipment would be welcome, as well as quieter rooms for listening.

-Tom-

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
This was my first show and I couldn't have asked for more. I'm already looking forward to next year... and hopefully, I can bring something.

One request would be a listening room for the people who bring stuff. I know there was a room this year, but most of the stuff there was just on display, rather than being hooked up and playing. I want to not only ogle at other people's work, but also listen to it.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
........and we are aware that we have to think about maybe refreshing the show with some new content or concept. We will see and we will let you know. Your ideas and suggestions are greatly welcomed........

possibly - ZMEngrish presentation of Famous ZM's method of construction , called Metoda Uzaludnih Pokusaja can bring some refreshment ?

please - translate - I just couldn't manage

:rofl:

What actually made it -

A revamped version of the "Half Nelson" amp that I brought to the first BA.

"Kingfisher" P-P amp using jfet differential inputs cascoded with the small triodes from a pair of 6CS7s.

IMO, both of these amps sounded great. The Kingfisher playing classical vinyl was an exercise in dynamic range, quite impressive.

I have to admit that I had feel that this year was less shown than any other years. Maybe it is just my feel because we had more rooms, but that is how I felt. We had a fair amount of new visitors, but the core group of people was there from previous years. During the first year's show was shown the most, and I believe many people didn't want to show the same later.

Seemed that way to me also.......we were thin on phono stages, and had to share one between both ends of the room to play Dtut's linear tracker. He had two other turntables that were not auditioned due to lack of a pre and vinyl. We also did not have many speakers, in fact we listened to the same two pairs of floorstanders the entire day, although they were both quite excellent.

We also did not have any DIY line stages or other non-vinyl sources to demo at the far end of the room, resorting to a Cary 308 & and a Dehavilland tube pre that Randy from Sonist had brought along (very nice stuff!-thanks Randy!).

We demo'd a new member's Boozehound 6V6 amp, Nelson Brocks F4, and a Glowamp at one end of the big room, and the 845 amp, both of Wrenchone's amps and a couple of others at the other end.

As far as suggestions for future BA's, perhaps a sign up sheet & staging area for equipment to be demo'd. That would allow a more efficient flow of gear through the setups. It seems that there was additional gear on display that could be demo'd, but in some cases I was unable to find the owners (I was the red-shirted volunteer in the big room).

If there is room, another suggestion is to have a swap meet/flea market room, as many members have stuff that they would love to unload, err...sell.

Guys, thank you for the comments and ideas. Please keep them coming.

Now, just to give you the freshest and the latest news.
Mark and myself had a long conversation on the phone about dates for the next year's BAF. We looked into available dates at Fort Mason, we looked not to hit the Fleet Week Date, we looked not to colide with RMAF show in Colorado, and to give enough time to some of our guests before or after that show, we looked into not coinciding with AES...

So it is October 1st 2011! The location is the same at Fort Mason with as many rooms we had this year plus the big presentation room available for the whole day - instead of only 5 hours we had this year. We are so happy to be able to lock this deal right now, and to be able to post now so that everyone can plan on time, unlike we did in the past. We are very excited about this date since the weather is almost guaranteed to be perfect, to be honest, that is the absolutly best time of year in the Bay area.

I think next BAF is going to be spectacular. We are expecting out Europian trio Fantasticus - Choky, Magura and Jacco. I already see the next BAF as Off Topic Burning Amp. :D:D:D

Now I could even start our official countdown - it is D Day minus 327!

I might even have some of the other stuff I intended for this year's BA ready by then... Seriously, my goal is to be able to cart a complete reproduction chain to BA to aid in mixing and matching. I'll probably have some sort of mutant tube preamp ready by then. I agree about the weather - should be glorious...

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Vladimir pointed out that if we got the big presentation room for the whole day, it could be used for a a larger hospitality room, which was a bit small this year. Now this means that the hospitality room has to be quiet during presentations, but there would be a lot of room on the sides for sponsor tables, displays, the refreshments and food, and the giveaway items, which could be spread out in advance. The hospitality room from this year would become another listening room, allowing a lot more complete systems to be set up. The rooms looking out to the bay will also be used more effectively to allow more systems, and less switching of components in and out..

Mark

Last edited:
I brought the two phono preamps made from the second RIAA schematic in Joe Curcio's appnote for the LM4562 opamp. The first one was built deadbug/point-to-point, the next one on a PCB I had made at expresspcb. I changed the circuit a bit on the PCB to lower the noise about 10db.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The room that the Orions were in really killed their sound. I'm surprised that there haven't been any posts or comments about it. The echo and reverb from the concrete walls and floors made for overly-loud, boomy, inarticulate bass. When I sat close to the speakers and listened to some "light" music to get away from the bass overload, the timbre was still way off. I could connect with them a bit on some of the quieter classical pieces but normally, you don't need to work hard to get something from them. Linkwitz mentioned during his talk that the room was much too reverberant.

Any chance of finding a place with more acoustically benign rooms next year?

- Eric

... The room that the Orions were in really killed their sound. I'm surprised that there haven't been any posts or comments about it. The echo and reverb from the concrete walls and floors made for overly-loud, boomy, inarticulate bass. ... - Eric

Yes, I noticed it as well ... more than noticed it.

Audition room / listening room treatments should be a top priority for the next 'fest. I've got a boat load of futon mattress foam that I stuff in the corners and behind any "shaky" furniture = works, sort of. I have heard various stand alone, passive corner columns that work very well, too.

Mmmmmm, Good! .... :D

For the first BA, there was some sound deadening material up on the walls of the firehouse that seemed to work pretty well. I don't know where Mark and Vladimir managed to find it, but access to that kind of stuff for next year would be nice, even we had to pay a little extra to rent it.

I provided those, and I got the same amount this year as well, but if you remember, we essentially had only one listening room, so we dispersed them within that room. Now we had several rooms. Also Fire House, that was the first year's space we got at Fort Mason, happened to have a mounting brackets, that we used to suspend wires and blankets. None of that existed in these rooms.

Looking from different standpoint, Sausalito Yacht Club, had a perfect sound wise main room, but that is bar with noise that we couldn't negotiate to have out of operation. We also wanted to have more rooms, for the already discussed reasons.

That are too many variables that need to be satisfied. I agree that it would be nice to have quiter rooms, but we still didn't find the place like that. We feel that this years space had many good things going for it. Maybe we ask next year that everyone brings one moving blanket? I have no room to store more than I have, nor I could carry more than I did, which is around 20 - 30 I believe.

Talking about great spaces, I just went to look for some rental space with lots of daylight for the big shoot I have coming. I found the most beautiful and amazing space. For locals, out of all spaces - Point Richmond. It is called Ford Point, really old Ford assembly plant. You could feel the history there. It was closed in 1955! The building is 500,000 Sq.Ft - - WOW. It is recently ( in 2005) completely remodeled and it is right on water. This space that I am eying to rent is wide open 40,000 Sq.Ft, 100 x 400 Ft and some 60 - 80 Ft. height and no columns - not one. Too bad that would not good for us because it has all the facilities we would need and bar next to it! Here are some shots of the space.

Attachments

• C65T5368.jpg
    C65T5368.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 241
  • C65T5380.jpg
    C65T5380.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 234
  • C65T5390.jpg
    C65T5390.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 202
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
maybe you can find some hidden and abandoned old movie theater , full with either WE or Altec gear ......... so we can sniff together ..... :rofl:

then I can teach you something about old American Heritage :clown: ......... and fill few crates to send via boat ..........

( as I need anything of these , considering all junk I already accumulated :devily: )

is it redundant and/or repetitive if I tell that pictures are Fugly! ?

my Vlad ........... The Man with an Eye ........

I provided those ... Now we had several rooms. ... Fire House had a mounting brackets... Sausalito Yacht Club, had a perfect sound wise main room, but that is bar with noise that we couldn't negotiate to have out of operation ... That are too many variables that need to be satisfied ...

... I found the most beautiful and amazing space. For locals, out of all spaces - Point Richmond. It is called Ford Point ...

Sausalito Yacht Club would never allow us to rent & use all day without the bar being open in the afternoon to any and all = lots of afternoon noise and a rush to "tear down" before their evening diner.

Loch Lomond Yacht Club, though probably too small & also has a noisy early evening bar. Same, same with Sausalito Cruising Club plus lousy sound and bad power.

Presidio Yacht Club says they would like to have the 'Fest back.

Other options:

Pan Pacific Exposition Dome circa 1915 on Mare Island = A huge, marvelous free standing dome structure currently housing a dozen basketball courts (!). Startling acoustics with several "hot spots" and several "cold spots". Cheap rent until it is (possibly) moved to the America's Cup venue in The City in a couple of years. (Also a great place for a movie sound stage. Mare Island is an entire movie lot with turn of last century housing, WWII ship construction, submarine pens, etc. = cheap or free rent!) ... all accessible by fast ferry boat and freeway from SF.

Recently remodeled Oakland Fox Theater which might not have conflict as their schedule is not finalized for fall of 2011 = a great house PA unless pushed to clipping. (We could offer to tweak it and make it real for the rent.)

Too far North?:

Cotati VFW building = one large auditorium plus several rooms, plus kitchen and big His' and Her's. (Also in Cotati: Zone Music, recently closed, with indoor and outdoor sound stages.)

The New Music Theater at Sonoma State U. with a huge auditorium and many music rooms on two floors = ready and rentable on weekends, very cheap = all the comforts of a large California university.

The original Mark Twain Auditorium, second floor w/ other rooms on Kentucky Street in Petaluma.

Marconi Cove Center, seldom used, many buildings, loads of parking, incredible outdoor views of Tomalas Bay.

... more ?

Last edited:
I'll chime in...

I liked the Sausalito location. It did have areas where co-mingling could happen, including outside. BBQ was a nice touch. The Presidio felt a little cold and broken up...

If we get proper deadening material and turn the big room into the social gathering spot, then the Presidio would probably work. Maybe something on the ground floor, too (easier to bring in gear).

just my 2c... Kent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.