The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What new "Pass" device?

A very, very good question, haha. I have been num, couldn't talk, couldn't show this shot that came out so well, for a while. Since Nelson made a World Wide announcement on the BAF about these PassFets, now I could post this last image from my visit to Pass a month ago. Pass is holding SemiSouth power jFet, that is custom made by his requirements and with Pass name on it!

Ohhhhh, I couldn't hold on it much longer....
:p:p:p:p:p:p

Attachments

• PassFet.jpg
    PassFet.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
The Seas Fullrange Prototypes

They looked Very Nice, great to show off in open baffles, slim supports, a green cone (gray blue in the 2nd prototype).

They held their own in open baffles against the Pass Lowther, Eminence subwoofer open baffles next to them. (Note, not the final word on sound quality - nothing sounded good in the show listening conditions. I had the consolation of my speakers sounding lousy for much less outlay than the Lowthers and the Linkwitz Orions!!)

If they really are $100 (or even $150), they should sell a ton.

-Tom-

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The Seas sounded good for what they were worth. The Lowthers, I thought, were in a different class.

I won a pair of AMTs in the raffle and I remember a guy telling me where they came from. If that person is here, can you give me the information again? I'm trying to find info on these online and not finding much.

Thanks!

Mrs. DCPreamp and I had a great time at the BAF Saturday. Thanks so much for everyone's time and effort to making it happen! It felt great (well, mostly for me, but the Mrs.'s was a pretty good sport) to be around so much DIY audio gear. Cool stuff! And my compliments to the other DIY'ers for the efforts, the great builds and the quality of their work.

Also, I got the call today and am the proud new owner of a couple PowerPhysics Class-D amplifier modules. Yeah! Looks like I have a new project to add to the heap, but I suspect this will be nudged towards the top. As my first, and much-anticipated, delve into Class-D amplification, I look forward to building this and my first listening session. I'll make sure to document the construction and chronicle it here. Plus, I guess I must go to next year's BAF and present my handiwork.

Thanks again everyone!
Paul

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Pass Lecture

I agree with several of the other commentators that the lectures from Nelson Pass and Siegfried Linkwitz were high points of the day. Nelson in particular shared a few interesting tidbits. He mentioned that the audio world is divided in terms of their preferences of distortion spectral balance. He infers this from the sales of his First Watt products. Some of them are dominant 2nd order harmonic distortion and some of them are dominant 3rd order distortion. He tracks sales of the different (unnamed) products and concludes that it's just a matter of taste with things split roughly 50-50. So much for the conventional wisdom that higher order distortion products are always bad.

He also spent quite a bit of time discussing the merits of the SiC power JFETs from Semisouth that have been discussed here on Diyaudio. The new information he shared is that he funded development of a SiC Static Induction Transistor or SIT. These have been famous for decades, having been invented in Japan in the 80s and produced for a very limited time. They have very nice linear characteristics that hold great promise for new amplifiers. For those of you interested in more about SITs, here are a few links:
http://mixedsignal.eleg.uark.edu/sic/documents/papers/2003_EPE_Final_Paper.pdf
Static induction transistor - Google Patent Search

Attachments

• Nelson.JPG
    Nelson.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 304
Mrs. DCPreamp and I had a great time at the BAF Saturday. Thanks so much for everyone's time and effort to making it happen! It felt great (well, mostly for me, but the Mrs.'s was a pretty good sport) to be around so much DIY audio gear. Cool stuff! And my compliments to the other DIY'ers for the efforts, the great builds and the quality of their work.

Also, I got the call today and am the proud new owner of a couple PowerPhysics Class-D amplifier modules. Yeah! Looks like I have a new project to add to the heap, but I suspect this will be nudged towards the top. As my first, and much-anticipated, delve into Class-D amplification, I look forward to building this and my first listening session. I'll make sure to document the construction and chronicle it here. Plus, I guess I must go to next year's BAF and present my handiwork.

Thanks again everyone!
Paul

Paul, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the show. More than anything it makes me very happy the great donations from PowerPhysics went into the right hands, to someone who is going to puts it to use. I will be getting some more info from them regarding the amps wiring and specifications, and I will be happy to share that with you. I will start a thread at ClassD forum, where I will post all the info, for anyone. It will be great if you would document your work and findings there.

Best
AR2

They looked Very Nice, great to show off in open baffles, slim supports, a green cone (gray blue in the 2nd prototype).

They held their own in open baffles against the Pass Lowther, Eminence subwoofer open baffles next to them. (Note, not the final word on sound quality - nothing sounded good in the show listening conditions. I had the consolation of my speakers sounding lousy for much less outlay than the Lowthers and the Linkwitz Orions!!)

If they really are $100 (or even $150), they should sell a ton.

Hi Tom;

that speakers look very similar to what was produced in Soviet Union for portable cinema theaters. They were called 4А28 and were rated for 10W only.

Also, after coming back home I said to my wife that I greatly underestimated my current speakers. I did not dare to bring them to BAF. ;)

http://wavebourn.com/forum/download.php?id=77&f=7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.