The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
coming from Denver

HBarske said:

Does anybody know if it is worth to travel Denver - SF by car?

It looks to be about 1000 miles. (Plan on 16 hours of driving.)

There is great "big mountain" and desert scenery. In southern Utah there are some great national parks (camping); might as well see the Grand Canyon on the way. I have not been on the road through northern Nevada, but it has some long desolate stretches. (Like 100 miles between gas stations.)

For economy, flying is easily the least expensive. Right now Southwest Airlines has a $79 special to Denver. (arrive San Francisco or Oakland airport)

www.southwest.com

pilli said:

If you mean the Road Warrior book, long time ago i walk-travelled across the Scottish Highlands with a day journal novellist like that.

Always scribblin scibblin, in the mornings he added a page in his little booky on the taste bud experience of his de-hydrated ration brecky.
The bloke got me so tensed that i jumped the first heavily pierced female skinhead in Edinburgh who said i had nice boots while we were feeding the squirrels in the park below the castle.
And another in Glasgow, right after the Glasgow-Edinburgh socker battlefield on saturday, in every Hill-Billy village up north that had a pub.
I just love poetry.

Eeer, i've got a long-time lady pal with a phd in Spanish who lives in Fort Collins, how much for a 60 mile trunk ride ?

(sorry, i can help it, but i refuse to)

HBarske said:
It's likely that you will have attendees from germany this year - we will most probably draw the "RMAF plus BA" card. :cheers:
Does anybody know if it is worth to travel Denver - SF by car?

Welcomen!

Out of all routs in the States that is the one that is the most driven. Start on Highway 80 and go through Brekenridge, than take scenic rout off 80 going toward south west. That will take you toward Aspen, and than Durango and must see old steam train ride to Silvertown (authentic western town at 11, 000 feet altitude) Than you could see, some parks in Utah, Monument Valley in Nevada, Sedona in Arizona, Grand Canyon and few Valleys around, Hoover Dam and Las Vegas back in Nevada and than go across Sierra Nevada mountain and Lake Tahoe
I did it in two weeks but definitevely it could be compressed in week.
One small detail - Rent car at Hertz as they allow you to cross state lines. Many other companies ether do not allow or allow only one state cross with their rentals. Hertz has the best cars anyways in my opinion.
Enjoy!

Details / travel

SouthWest to Oakland is better = closer to good, convenient hotels and the event, quicker in and out, cheaper taxis, cheaper rent-a-cars ...

United has comparable fares to both OAK and SFO ... (except for extra bags = extra bucks)

===

If your car gets better than 30 miles to the gallon, then it is just about a wash as far as costs are concerned = air fares v. gasoline = Denver to San Francisco ... :cool:

My favorite route is US Highway 50, "the loneliest highway in America" ... no traffic, great views, decent hotels and so-so restaurants = best food is on the border between Utah and Colorado. (This route does not go through Silvertown or Durango :bawling: ... but it does go past several "secret" military bases = you have not lived until you have been buzzed at eye level by stealth aircraft ... while taking a tinkle. :eek: )

Cheapest, good hotels are in Oakland (around Jack London Square), Berkeley / Albany / Emeryville and Marin County north of San Rafael, 20 miles north (and 20 miles closer to wine tasting).

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip]

How do you feel about presenters and their talks? Do you feel they are needed or we should minimize that and stick more to equipment presentations? Last year we had Alex from RAAL, and this year we are hoping to have Mr. Linkwitz, but I really would like to hear what do you think. If you prefer more talks what subjects would you have the most interest in? Based on last year impressions, I have a feeling that two aspects of the event were the most dominant: Socializing - getting to know each other, and listening sessions. Well, there was one more - Santa Pass.

Please let us know, we are all ears. [/B]

Would anyone be interested in a short talk, with music demo's, on loudness, compression, dynamic rannge?

Jan Didden

Eddy,
Ha, whoever made those pictures, I bet went to the same place where I was yesterday. Since this is very close to where I live, for lunch we went to the restaurant called Fish in Sausalito harbor

http://www.331fish.com/

I would say the best see food ever. If you are there do not miss! Awesome casual place, great for simple fish dishes such as fish and chips, or fish sandwiches. But the fish is so fresh and so good.

Another place for sushi lovers in Sausalito is Sushi Ran.
http://www.sushiran.com/
This is the best sushi in San Francisco area, period. And it is very hard to hold this title in SF!

Both places are 5 minute drive from the Burning Amp 08 place.

Here is one more reason why you should plan vacation in October, beside the Burning Amp 08.

Muir Woods.
A 10 -15 minute drive from BA08 and you are in the National Park Muir Woods with one of a kind giant Redwoods:

http://www.nps.gov/muwo/

A little know trivia:

Muir Woods’ Cathedral Grove hosted the first United Nations conference May 19, 1945. Present were delegates from 48 nations to establish a lasting peace following the Second World War.

janneman said:

Would anyone be interested in a short talk, with music demo's, on loudness, compression, dynamic rannge?

Jan Didden

:up: yes please!

I've been working on a demo illustrating the audibility of phase distortion. Now I have 2 DSP XO's I can instantly A-B between a pair of crossover configurations. I think it's fascinating - but then I don't get out much:rolleyes:

AR2 said:
Eddy,
Ha, whoever made those pictures, I bet went to the same place where I was yesterday. Since this is very close to where I live, for lunch we went to the restaurant called Fish in Sausalito harbor

http://www.331fish.com/

I would say the best see food ever. If you are there do not miss! Awesome casual place, great for simple fish dishes such as fish and chips, or fish sandwiches. But the fish is so fresh and so good.

As an Ex-Pat Brit, and having just returned from a exceptionally well executed Fish 'N Chips Lunch I concur. Best Fish 'N Chips indeed.

Another great place for non corporate coffee (and closer to the meet than the nearest Peets) together with free wi-fi and a killer view is
NorthPoint Coffee.

Hello,
new web is up: www.burningamp.com
Check it out.

As you will see, we are ready for the registrations. Please follow requirements listed on the page:
Registration

Please send us your:

DIY Audio name (if you have one),
your diyaudio avatar,
your real full name,
City State and Country you are coming from,
and the list of the items you are bringing with you.

All this is very important for me to receive. If you remember last year we had nice name tags with your DIYaudio name and avatar on it. It was really easy recognizing people the way we are use to, but only in person. Only if you send me this info I will be able to make it.

Thank you

AR2, Sy, et al ...

A couple of things:

#1 That Presidio Yacht Club map is totally useless unless you have been there before ... better to use a Google Map ...

http://maps.google.com/ ... enter "37.833751, -122.474363" into map search window .... That marks the spot (front door = leads into the Bar ;) )

2) If you want to post some pictures online, I have two web domains that I'm not really using and they have room for ~ 10 Gigabytes or pictures, each (http://glassbus.com and http://24bithifi.com) ... email me ...

:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.